Recent Topics

Ads

New to the game, a rundown very much welcome

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
Doom123

New to the game, a rundown very much welcome

Post#1 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:30 pm

Hello everyone,

I just started playing this game today and I honestly started it primarily to play RvR (and potentially PvP), there aren't that many games that do this right, so I want to give this one a shot.

A few questions I hope I could get some answers to:

1) Can you level exclusively from RvR/PvP and how slower is it then doing PvE? I find it quite boring and even the public quests aren't a novelty since I player GW2 for years now. Will I miss anything if i stick specifically to leveling through RvR and PvP?

2) Can you gear properly from RvR/PvP? I honestly do not desire to run dungeons and similar PvE content, so I am hoping you can get competitive gear from RvR. Also hoping you can get good looking gear, I want to look proper Chaos-y and hopefully some good looking sets arent PvE specific.

3) Few videos I saw mention crafting? Is this mandatory? I am not a fan of this but I am not a fan of playing with a handicap either. So far I haven't started any crafting profession (rank 17 atm) and honestly I don't even know where I can take any crafting profession, I only see NPCs that sell random crafting stuff.

4) I don't understand how talents and specializations(?) work. Is there a guide to these attributes and traits that I get points for after each level past 11 where I can read about them?

5) How do you make sure you are always in the right place for RvR? I had a small taste of RvR with my Magus in the Sea of Claws (Northland map I think, one map lower after the starting map for Chaos). I moved to the next area and RvR there was constantly locked, I had to go back to this lower level map to fight other players. Plus it is a chore even on a mount to run around from quest to quest, RvR to RvR. Is there a faster way that you can use to go from RvR zone to RvR zone? And if so how do I know in which zone/map I should actually be to RvR?

Thank you for your time and answers, looking forward to some in-depth explanations.

Ads
Manatikik

Re: New to the game, a rundown very much welcome

Post#2 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:01 am

Doom123 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:30 pm Hello everyone,

I just started playing this game today and I honestly started it primarily to play RvR (and potentially PvP), there aren't that many games that do this right, so I want to give this one a shot.

1) Can you level exclusively from RvR/PvP and how slower is it then doing PvE? I find it quite boring and even the public quests aren't a novelty since I player GW2 for years now. Will I miss anything if i stick specifically to leveling through RvR and PvP?

2) Can you gear properly from RvR/PvP? I honestly do not desire to run dungeons and similar PvE content, so I am hoping you can get competitive gear from RvR. Also hoping you can get good looking gear, I want to look proper Chaos-y and hopefully some good looking sets arent PvE specific.

3) Few videos I saw mention crafting? Is this mandatory? I am not a fan of this but I am not a fan of playing with a handicap either. So far I haven't started any crafting profession (rank 17 atm) and honestly I don't even know where I can take any crafting profession, I only see NPCs that sell random crafting stuff.

4) I don't understand how talents and specializations(?) work. Is there a guide to these attributes and traits that I get points for after each level past 11 where I can read about them?

5) How do you make sure you are always in the right place for RvR? I had a small taste of RvR with my Magus in the Sea of Claws (Northland map I think, one map lower after the starting map for Chaos). I moved to the next area and RvR there was constantly locked, I had to go back to this lower level map to fight other players. Plus it is a chore even on a mount to run around from quest to quest, RvR to RvR. Is there a faster way that you can use to go from RvR zone to RvR zone? And if so how do I know in which zone/map I should actually be to RvR?

Thank you for your time and answers, looking forward to some in-depth explanations.
1) you can level entirely through pvp. SC’s are the fastest XP wise if you are winning and they pop constantly (depends on your time of day). AoE farming mobs is a lot faster to level but more
Mind numbing and is by no means fast.

2) There are RvR sets and SC sets that are BiS for each tier and multiple high end in T4. There are a few good T4 entry PvE sets that you’ll hear about in game and there are guides for (Ruin PQ set, Beastlord lair set, and Tome Unlock Jewel sets).

3) you don’t need to craft but you NEED potions and talismans for your toons and gears. Crafting usually makes you more money faster than just mob grinding for gold and you can just make your own stuff.

4) you get a point every other level starting at 11 to 21 then a point a level until 40 with additional points earned at RR 40, 50, 60, and 70. Use a Career trainer in city (temple in altdorf or monolith in ic) to spend these points. You need to purchase the tactics/abilities for an extra point too

5) Type .rvr to see active rvr zones. T1 is up to level 15 and t4 is 16+. Use flight masters to fly between zones (in every chapter camp after ch 1 and in city). Only certain zones are active at a time.

<Montague><Capulet>

Onemantankwall

Post#3 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:12 am

Hello everyone,

Yes you can its only slower than pve if scenarios arent popping. No you wont miss anything real pve/dungs start at 40

As this is a rvr game rvr gear will be best in slot, pve gear is there for alternative "offspec" builds.

Crafting is either talisman or Apothecary super simple and is your main source to gold in game just 1 usually sets you up for life.

You can use character builder to create a spec for endgame or look ingame at what u have.

Simply type .rvr to learn what maps are currently open

Either PM me on here or on discord for detailed answers. If your destro L2P does t1 crash courses and discord QnAs for those new To the world of WAR my discord is Onemantankwall#7991 welcome to the game and see you in the lakes!
Lots of alts, more alts for the alt gods!

Doom123

Post#4 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:51 am

Thank you for your answers guys!

A few followups, if you would be so kind:

1) What are these tactics and how many of them can I slot? Do you get them by levels or need to unlock/buy them at some trainer?

2) How do morale abilities work and how do you gain morale? Do you get them by levels or need to unlock/buy them at some trainer?

3) Is there a guide to the general abilities and what I should take for these?

4) I am leaning towards the Apothecary crafting, do I need some gathering role as well (heres to hoping for no). Also is there a guide for these crafting roles? Where do I get ingredients? How do I level up crafting? Where exactly do you gather things for the stuff you craft? Also where can I even find these professions so I can learn them?

5) In general are most skills gained through simply leveling or is there a more complicated underlying system?

Onemantankwall

Post#5 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:23 am

Thank you for your answers guys!

A few followups, if you would be so kind:

1) What are these tactics and how many of them can I slot? Do you get them by levels or need to unlock/buy them at some trainer?

Tactics are bonus stats/procs/abilities you get tactic slot every 10 lvls most tactics come free except select few in the mastery trees

2) How do morale abilities work and how do you gain morale? Do you get them by levels or need to unlock/buy them at some trainer?

Morales are gained through being in combat once again most are free through levels 3 m4s can be bought through mastery trees

3) Is there a guide to the general abilities and what I should take for these?

Read tooltips, tooltips are friends

4) I am leaning towards the Apothecary crafting, do I need some gathering role as well (heres to hoping for no). Also is there a guide for these crafting roles? Where do I get ingredients? How do I level up crafting? Where exactly do you gather things for the stuff you craft? Also where can I even find these professions so I can learn them?

You can find all profession trainers in the hub of your city apoth requires either cultivating or butchering both are easy and theres a nefty butchering guide on the forums

5) In general are most skills gained through simply leveling or is there a more complicated underlying system?
Nope just lvl you can go into mastery trees and specs once you learn the fundamentals and theres plenty newby cookie cutter builds on here games as simple as it seems.
Lots of alts, more alts for the alt gods!

zatoh

Post#6 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:07 am

A bit more in depth on earlier topics:
RVR:
The simplest way to see active zones is by using the "State of Realm" addon. The server broadcasts info on RVR activity and the addon presents this info. The .rvr command can be helpful too. Checking out the open parties screen (hotkey: L) can also help determine where the action is. If all else fails you can ask where the action is in one of the channels.

The RVR system is divided into tiers. There is a specific tier each character belongs to and in which they should do open RVR. In live there were 4 RVR tiers, which correspond to the pairs of zones you see on the map. Here we have essentially two tiers, T1 and T2-4. For certain other purposes the old system of 4 tiers is still in use.
-Character level 1-15: Tier 1
-Character level 16-40: Tier 2-4

If you try to PVP in Tier 1 as a higher level, you turn into a chicken that dies in one hit.
If your level is lower than the tier's maximum, your level will be "bolstered". For example I think a level 18 character will become level 48 in T2-4. Bolstering compensates for the lower potential of specialization, gearing options, etc. that a lower level player has, but even a small amount of stats can make a big difference this way, so it is recommended to try to keep your gear and talismans on par.
I recommend staying in T1 for a good while, that is, don't level in PVE too much. T1 is simpler and more forgiving than T2-4 and a good place to practice the basics. Movement is one of the key things to practice in T1: when to advance and when to retreat. The frontline can change very quickly and this can be tricky for an engineer/magus who benefits so much from their pet.

Renown
From participating in RVR you gain Renown, which is basically another form of XP. As you advance in renown rank, you can buy more renown abilities that give things like stats, avoidance and critical chance reduction. At later ranks you get a few more specialization points which allows for different builds. Lastly RR will also allow you to equip better items; items often have both a character level and RR requirement.
Hardliners advise to basically never do PVE and only level with RVR. Some prefer to do their heavy lifting at level 40, when they have more specialization points and abilities. In any case, a fresh level 40 character can actually have a harder time in RVR than a bolstered lowbie.

Renown items
There is a variety of gear from RVR. First you have the "welfare greens" which are bought for some silver from a vendor (T1 warcamps, and capital city for later tiers) and have lenient RR requirements. You should check out these regularly and replace pieces that are lagging behind.

Then you have the armor sets, which can be acquired in two ways: individual pieces from participating in RVR (rare), or buyable with currency earned by participating in RVR. Each "tier" has its own such set, like Decimator around character level 8, Obliterator around character level 17 and so on. These sets are a cut above the vendor greens and can be generally gotten without significant effort. Armor set items are found in "gold bags", and bags of lesser colors contain other goodies which can be quite nice indeed, for example purple weapons at higher renown ranks. oRVR bags are earned much like in PQs: every time you don't get a bag, your next roll for that type of bag will be increased.

The third major category of RVR items is scenario items. Scenarios are basically battlegrounds in WoW or what have you, so instanced matches for which you can queue anywhere. They are over pretty quickly, having a hard time limit of 15 minutes, but depending on the time of day and tier, finding a match can be tricky.
From scenarios you get another type of currency which can be used to buy good quality weapons, shields or whatever hand-held items your class uses.

The main types of RVR currency have "tiers", for example recruit's medallions, scout's medallions, soldier's medallions and officer's medallions for the basic open RVR currency. A medallion of a given type can be upgraded to the higher tier's medallion at a 5:1 ratio and likewise higher tier medallions can be converted into lesser ones at a 1:5 ratio, but this has a higher RR requirement. This basically means that you are guaranteed to get quality gear sooner or later as long as you participate.
Note that open RVR currency and scenario currency can NOT be traded with one another. You only get oRVR currency from oRVR, and scenario currency from scenarios.

Misc. tips:
-the center percentage in the State of Realm addon indicates the level of Against All Odds, a buff given to the outnumbered realm in the zone which gives them increased renown, etc. rewards from fighting. The majority realm correspondingly gets smaller rewards. In my game a blue % means that Order is outnumbered, and a red % means Destruction is outnumbered. But I don't know if the colors are swapped for destro, never played as them.... ;)

-In tier 1 a zone is won by simultaneously fulfilling two conditions:
-realm's victory points are at 100% (gained by grabbing boxes at controlled battlefield objectives and returning them to the flag near your warcamp)
-all of the zone's battlefield objectives are held by the realm

-Rundown on T2-4 is here and seems reasonably up to date: https://wiki.returnofreckoning.com/inde ... _RvR_Guide

-Afaik, flight masters are in the following locations:
-every chapter (town) after the first in all tier 1-3 zones
-every warcamp
-capital cities
Taking a flight takes you to that zone's warcamp, or another settlement if your warcamp in that pairing is in the other zone. So, just because there is a flight master in a given town, doesn't mean you can always fly directly there. It can be a little confusing

-Terms like "career" and "class", "career rank" and "character level" are basically synonyms, but people probably understand you no matter which flavor of terms you use :)

Doom123

Post#7 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:22 am

Thank you guys, seems I definitely have allot to learn, I am glad to hear that I can fully gear/level from RvR/PvP.

One last thing on my mind, I have the RoR_SoC addon that came with the installation turned on, the one that shows the RvR status. It worked today and yesterday, but about an hour ago it stopped working. Looking at the addons it does not say it crashed, and if I go into the UI editor (the mode that lets you move tabs around) I see that I still have a RoR_SoC window, but it is invisible for some reason.

Any idea what the problem here is?

Doom123

Post#8 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:36 am

Oh and one more thing, I am fighting in T2 in Troll country atm, can someone clarify how resurrections from healers work? I am not a healer but I am seeing tons of them around me (Shamans and Zealots mostly) and none of them are reviving, even if i stay for a minute or two down.

Are they new players as well or am I missing some mechanics why they arent rezzing me?

Also my Morale is not charging in battle, I put two skills in the morale slots but nothing is happening. How do you charge the morale skills?

Ads
Miszczu5647

Post#9 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:41 am

Check here for SoR:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=22771

About healers and ressing... well, they need to see you on the ground. Or maybe they are dps mode and forget to slot their res skill... Who knows. Click on them, use RMB on portrait, select "tell" and ask for res. Sometimes works ;)
Srul - Shaman
Sruula - Witch Elf
Jurwulf Srulson - Chosen

Doom123

Post#10 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:47 am

Miszczu5647 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:41 am Check here for SoR:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=22771

About healers and ressing... well, they need to see you on the ground. Or maybe they are dps mode and forget to slot their res skill... Who knows. Click on them, use RMB on portrait, select "tell" and ask for res. Sometimes works ;)
Will do, though it is hard to actually pick any target in a zerg though, friend or foe.

Is there an easier more precise way to target people, since just pressing Tab in a zerg till I get someone squishy is not really working out, and trying to press on an enemy when 12 allies are around him just makes me target the allies instead of the enemy.....