Recent Topics

Ads

Marauder - Two things I want

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Joculari

Marauder - Two things I want

Post#1 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:54 pm

First:

Gift of Brutality: 25% chance to get empowered for 5 seconds making it almost certain that your offhand weapon will swing on every attack and increases its damage by 25%.

Thats what it says which made me think it would trigger on every attack which would make it pretty great for single target. Apparently its only for autoattacks which means one or maybe two extra offhand attacks during the duration. Thats the buff that the single target burst damage mutation gets. Am I the only one extremely disappointed in how that works?

Using gift of brutality I get locked out of my AoE attacks, heal debuffs etc and have to use a GCD to switch over to other mutations aka stance dancing. Which is just a bunch of extra steps to do things that other melee dps classes can do without that hassle. So shouldn't marauder mutation bonuses make up for those extra steps by being not terrible?
I'll do a WL comparison because WL is the mirror class to Marauder. I can jump onto my WL and use every skill of the class, excluding unspecced skills, with any stance I want. To do the same on Marauder I need to take a bunch of extra steps and GCD's for the same effect and in most cases weaker results.

Gift of Savagery is pretty great. 25% chance to do a nice DoT and autoattack debuff.
Gift of Monstrosity is awesome with the self HoT.
Gift of Brutality falls flat on its face.

Gift of Brutality definitely needs a buff. Should perform as the description says, an offhand attack on every attack during those 5 seconds.

Second:

Mobility. Its bad. WL and Marauder are both melee brawler DPS classes, they both have a pull skill which are equally bad but WL has a pounce to quickly get into the fight where as Marauder has to run to the fight. Marauder definitely needs a pounce like ability to quickly close the gap.

Ads
Stophy22

Re: Marauder - Two things I want

Post#2 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:56 pm

Gift of brutality gives you access to Execute, and stance dancing is just how the class is played.
[2 Weeks]/[Definitely Not Heretics]
Kuro Mara R8x
Bunji DoK R6x
Kurodon BG R8x
Curo Whitelion R8x
Scryptmar WP R6x
Aiero Swordwizard R5x

Jastojan

Post#3 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:22 pm

Good idea to buff some class instead of nerf other :) Another thing, mara should have INSTANT cast pull as WL has. I realy dont understand why marauder has to cast it... it is the most frustrating spell in the game for me. :roll: Using it is always a pain.
I agree what you wrote. Mara needs to switch stances do be able to use spells and it cost TIME and time is the key factor.
So here we have at least 2 things which cost mara LOt of time to be effective. Why doesnt he have some compensation for it?
Some could tell that in monstro path you have a healing buff (1032 health for 5sec.) for example, but it is becomng weaker and weaker advantage due to the new sets of gear and game progress. It will mean less and less advantage because you will get more and more dmg from better and better equipped opponenst.
It could be nice to see some improvements :)

heybaws

Post#4 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 pm

There is no gcd on stance swap, the only issue here is 5 sec cooldown. You can't just apply aoe in a wb vs wb fight, then quick swap to brut for execute wounded foe and quickly go back to aoe. Instead you have to wait for 5 sec in stance that is basically useless apart from guillotine, which makes "stance dancing" counter productive in many situations. Your core mechanic in current state just limits your potential. And i don't know if that is intended or not.

Joculari

Post#5 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:10 pm

Stophy22 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:56 pm Gift of brutality gives you access to Execute, and stance dancing is just how the class is played.
Well to use the WL comparison again since mirror classes.. WL has access to Execute as well without any need for stance dancing as well as access to all skills regardless of stance where as marauder has to switch stances in mid combat to get access to some skills, then switch back to get access to others. A timesink that isn't justified with the horrible bonus that gift of brutality gives imo.

Gunlinger

Post#6 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:32 pm

Jastojan wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:22 pm Good idea to buff some class instead of nerf other :) Another thing, mara should have INSTANT cast pull as WL has. I realy dont understand why marauder has to cast it... it is the most frustrating spell in the game for me. :roll: Using it is always a pain.

Sounds so op in your dreams huh? WL Pull is first of not a pull it is a kick that grants immu, that the pet casts on the target. A tree or stone stops the target mid air, other then the Mara pull.
And the WL ''pull'' is not instant. The Pet has to reach the Target without getting killed in AOE storm before.

Nefarian78

Post#7 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:01 am

Gunlinger wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:32 pm The Pet has to reach the Target without getting killed in AOE storm before.
You do know that the WL's pet only receives a very small amount of the actual aoe damage, right?
They done stole my character's names. Can't have **** in RoR.

Manatikik

Post#8 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:41 am

heybaws wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 pm There is no gcd on stance swap, the only issue here is 5 sec cooldown. You can't just apply aoe in a wb vs wb fight, then quick swap to brut for execute wounded foe and quickly go back to aoe. Instead you have to wait for 5 sec in stance that is basically useless apart from guillotine, which makes "stance dancing" counter productive in many situations. Your core mechanic in current state just limits your potential. And i don't know if that is intended or not.
You're analysis of Stance Dancing is just plain wrong and quite dumb. At worst you have 1.5s of "dead" time stance dancing, which just means you need a second skill or GCD to use to eat that up which plenty of self buffs/aoe debuffs of Mara have no Stance requirements. to reach the "5" second Stance swap CD. The inability of a player to Stance Dance does not mean the mechanic itself needs to be changed.
<Montague><Capulet>

Ads
CountTalabecland

Post#9 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 am

WL pull is substantially worse due to being buggy AF and tied to glass pet.

Mara pull has the advantage of wonky distance checks that allows it to pull from way further as ppl attempt to run away. Plus mara doesnt have to rely on pet for its utility either.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

Stophy22

Post#10 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:42 am

Joculari wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:10 pm
Stophy22 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:56 pm Gift of brutality gives you access to Execute, and stance dancing is just how the class is played.
Well to use the WL comparison again since mirror classes.. WL has access to Execute as well without any need for stance dancing as well as access to all skills regardless of stance where as marauder has to switch stances in mid combat to get access to some skills, then switch back to get access to others. A timesink that isn't justified with the horrible bonus that gift of brutality gives imo.
You switch to gift of brutality to execute. other than that you’re in savagery and monstro, WL doesn’t have to stance dance but he has a pet to manage so they have something on their plate too

I do think brutality could use a better passive but with the way Mara is setup you don’t really use brutality unless you have someone below the 50% threshold. Savagery gives you so much more... I think if you wanted brutality to be a stance you “stay” in then it needs to bring something as crazy as cutting claw to the table.

But the class already has that.

IMO.
[2 Weeks]/[Definitely Not Heretics]
Kuro Mara R8x
Bunji DoK R6x
Kurodon BG R8x
Curo Whitelion R8x
Scryptmar WP R6x
Aiero Swordwizard R5x