Recent Topics

Ads

Thoughts on armor appearance changes

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Mistdancer

Thoughts on armor appearance changes

Post#1 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:48 pm

I understand that reworking the looks of armor sets has been on the scope for a while now and I understand that with the introduction of the Sovereign/Warlord gear, this presented an opportunity for a rework.

Some quick thoughts after several days have gone by.
Most people had hoped (jokingly or not) that this is/was an April fools prank. That in an of itself, as a gut reaction, should be taken into consideration as serious feedback. If your community responds like that quite widely towards a recent change, then I think certain things need to be re-examined.

1)Set look consistency. Every armor set model is designed to at least deliver a consistent look between its pieces. By marring the overall appearance of alt Sov, when the looks of the shoulders and helm are different, that compactness is broken. And mind you, it is not broken on a measly t1 set that can probably be found as a dupe elsewhere. It is broken on the very last rvr armor look in the game at the same time that the main Sov set retains its uniform look. Therefore a player choosing to go for main Sov gets a complete look, whereas a player who chooses to go for alt Sov does not. Either break the uniformity of both sets or of none. This applies for other sets too, but with sov it becomes even more blatant and problematic.

2)Players investment in looks. Players do not only invest time in creating their style. They invest gold, reward choices from PQs, the spending of hard earned crests. By changing just about every set look in the game, those monthly - even yearly investments, go down the drain. If the devs are not considering reverting or reworking this change, they should for sure consider allowing a 1-2 week window through which players can sell their gear back to the vendors for a full refund of their worth in crests/tokens.

3)Allow players that have completed (old or new) achievements/milestones/unlocks, to purchase the looks/skins of gear (without the stats). That goes for mounts too.

Ads
Grunbag
Former Staff

Re: Thoughts on armor appearance changes

Post#2 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:57 pm

About the set consistency , sovereign alt helm and shoulders are alternative sovereign helm and shoulders labeled as such by mythic in the client (you can also find them in the artwork of age of reckoning ). the pieces are designed to be used with sov body / boots / belt and gloves .

Keep in mind it was a WIP
Grunbag - 40 - 33 Squig Herder
Skorri - 40 - 65 Engineer

Detangler

Post#3 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:01 pm

I just want my old warlord helm back on my chosen. everything else i can deal with, but I don't like a helm that looks like i'm attending a Con dressed as a Chosen/Super Saiyan Goku hybrid.
Last edited by Detangler on Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Detangler and alts - 84 Chosen, other 40s - DoK, Zealot, SH, WE, BG, BO
Destro - Mostly Harmless
Tangler and alts - 8X IB, other 40s - RP, SM
Order - Most dishonorable

Mistdancer

Post#4 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:03 pm

Grunbag wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:57 pm About the set consistency , sovereign alt helm and shoulders are alternative sovereign helm and shoulders labeled as such by mythic in the client (you can also find them in the artwork of age of reckoning ). the pieces are designed to be used with sov body / boots / belt and gloves .

Sure I understand that. My comments do not stem from a purist perspective in regards to how ROR armor looks compare to AOR armor looks. ROR is ROR as you guys always say, and I agree. My comments stem from the viewpoint of how consistent the looks are amongst themselves and inside the server that they are presented.

And yes I also understand its a WIP, thats why I think leniency & flexibility on armor returns/refunds, is also in order.

Grunbag
Former Staff

Post#5 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:04 pm

Detangler wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:01 pm I just want my old warlord helm back on my chosen. everything else i can deal with, but I don't like a helm that looks like i'm attending a Con dressed as a Chosen/Goku hybrid.
It’s on invader set

Grunbag
Former Staff

Post#6 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:06 pm

Mistdancer wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:03 pm
Grunbag wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:57 pm About the set consistency , sovereign alt helm and shoulders are alternative sovereign helm and shoulders labeled as such by mythic in the client (you can also find them in the artwork of age of reckoning ). the pieces are designed to be used with sov body / boots / belt and gloves .

Sure I understand that. My comments do not stem from a purist perspective in regards to how ROR armor looks compare to AOR armor looks. ROR is ROR as you guys always say, and I agree. My comments stem from the viewpoint of how consistent the looks are amongst themselves and inside the server that they are presented.

And yes I also understand its a WIP, thats why I think leniency & flexibility on armor returns/refunds, is also in order.
I’ll try to do the best for the players , I understand you can be disappointed , and I’m sorry for that .

Detangler

Post#7 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:12 pm

Grunbag wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:04 pm
Detangler wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:01 pm I just want my old warlord helm back on my chosen. everything else i can deal with, but I don't like a helm that looks like i'm attending a Con dressed as a Chosen/Goku hybrid.
It’s on invader set
But that won't change my appearance for Order. Its very important that they not laugh at how goofy it looks :lol:
Detangler and alts - 84 Chosen, other 40s - DoK, Zealot, SH, WE, BG, BO
Destro - Mostly Harmless
Tangler and alts - 8X IB, other 40s - RP, SM
Order - Most dishonorable

Grock

Post#8 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:49 pm

Lost a bunch of appearances on Slayer and cool shoulder looks (that were on merc) on other classes as well, pretty disappointing.
I was just about to finish collecting ingame appearances of Slayer T4 artworks, and now i can't complete the collection because some pieces were lost. Also im missing one artwork and was hoping to restore it ingame by comparing to the one i have, but the parts i needed are now gone.

Doing a blanket reversal to Mythic file names isn't a good idea because mythic file names didn't always follow the artworks in the first place. Plus it cancels all the previous work done choosing appearances for different sets, like why.
The only thing that made sense is taking Doomflyer away from Conq and putting it on higher-lvl gear.

The only "rework" that would've made sense is artwork-based one, trying to reconstruct original sets as they were intended to be and then using excess shoulders/helmets to add some customization to higher rank gear.

As for "alt sovereign" i can tell you for sure that for Slayer the "alt sov helm shoulderes" have different style than actual Sovereign and don't really fit the rest of the set. It even has different specular tint, greenish one, and unlike Sov you can actually dye the fleshy part.
And based on what i hear from other players its also the case for other sets as well.

p.s. now i need to grind the same helmet appearance again, just to look like my avatar... after already grinding it last two years, because the first time someone decided to remove it from the game when i was like 10 tokens until buying it... can't wait for it to be moved to LotD gear next year to grind it a fourth time
Last edited by Grock on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

Ads
TenTonHammer

Post#9 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:51 pm

So the overlord/imperator had unique appearances

Then they were removed from the game and the appearances put on invader

Then those appearances were removed and put on alt sov

Kinda makes me regret all that time I spent grinding out that invader helm

And no the alt sov set dosnt fit for certain classes just becuase mythic had some files in there

Alt sov Mara shoulders don’t fit with the rest of sov

Zxul

Post#10 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:25 pm

Detangler wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:12 pm But that won't change my appearance for Order. Its very important that they not laugh at how goofy it looks :lol:
Comes to think of it, that's how it worked on live. However how does it works in RoR- does the opposite side sees real or alt appearance?
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh