Recent Topics

Ads

Tweak the guard ability

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
sn3jk

Tweak the guard ability

Post#1 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:15 pm

Hello,

First of, I don't know if this post belongs here or in BDF, but since it doesn't concern balance I put it here.

My proposal is to divide the guard ability into 2 (or 3 if counting existing ability) abilities:

Ability 1:
Apply guard. Can only apply guard, not remove.
Example:
Guard is applied to target 1, when having target 2 as friendly taget and you press guard it applies guard to that target. Continually pressing guard won't remove guard from someone, it can only be removed by selecting a new target and applying guard to that target instead.

Ability 2:
Remove guard. Global ability that only removes guard, does nothing else.

Ability 3:
Same ole guard as it is now, for those who want to continue using it as is.

Pros:
More controlled and smoother gameplay for tanks. If you've played a tank you know how frustrating it can be to think you applied guard only to find your precious mdps dead on the ground because you were too fast with the "double tap". Or when you accidently remove guard because you thought it hadn't applied.

Cons:
It might simply not be possible within the code.
Might confuse newer players.
Maybe it would make guardswapping to OP? I Don't see how, but then again I don't play at the highest level so what do I know :D
Bacongrease - Squig Herder
Bloodynine - Chosen
Oldest - Shaman

Ads
Martok

Re: Tweak the guard ability

Post#2 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:11 pm

sn3jk wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:15 pmTweak the guard ability

That has been tried already.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

zulnam

Post#3 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:53 pm

Yes.

OR

You could use one of the multiple addons that handles guard notifications.

Just saying, your desired solution may already be out there.

Also until then, you might wanna check that your guard is active before a fight. Permanent buffs are always displayed first iirc so even if your friendly target is full of dots/hots you should still see your guard
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

bossabe

Post#4 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:32 am

sn3jk wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:15 pm Hello,

First of, I don't know if this post belongs here or in BDF, but since it doesn't concern balance I put it here.

My proposal is to divide the guard ability into 2 (or 3 if counting existing ability) abilities:

Ability 1:
Apply guard. Can only apply guard, not remove.
Example:
Guard is applied to target 1, when having target 2 as friendly taget and you press guard it applies guard to that target. Continually pressing guard won't remove guard from someone, it can only be removed by selecting a new target and applying guard to that target instead.

Ability 2:
Remove guard. Global ability that only removes guard, does nothing else.

Ability 3:
Same ole guard as it is now, for those who want to continue using it as is.

Pros:
More controlled and smoother gameplay for tanks. If you've played a tank you know how frustrating it can be to think you applied guard only to find your precious mdps dead on the ground because you were too fast with the "double tap". Or when you accidently remove guard because you thought it hadn't applied.

Cons:
It might simply not be possible within the code.
Might confuse newer players.
Maybe it would make guardswapping to OP? I Don't see how, but then again I don't play at the highest level so what do I know :D
loooooool , good luck with your post...there are other concerning the same subject , for Quality Of Life purpose , guess what ?.. We still here :lol: :lol: :lol:

sn3jk

Post#5 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:07 am

zulnam wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:53 pm Yes.

OR

You could use one of the multiple addons that handles guard notifications.

Just saying, your desired solution may already be out there.

Also until then, you might wanna check that your guard is active before a fight. Permanent buffs are always displayed first iirc so even if your friendly target is full of dots/hots you should still see your guard
No offense, but you don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.
Bloodynine - Chosen
Oldest - Shaman

sn3jk

Post#6 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:09 am

Martok wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:11 pm
sn3jk wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:15 pmTweak the guard ability

That has been tried already.
Okay thanks for the input.
Bloodynine - Chosen
Oldest - Shaman

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#7 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:13 pm

Guard is an immensely powerful ability for tanks that should be your primary concern when playing that role. It is intentionally clunky simply because it is so powerful. We have no plans to change this core part of its functionality.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog