Recent Topics

Ads

Zealot/RP add more interaction with marks and rituals

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Deifact

Zealot/RP add more interaction with marks and rituals

Post#1 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:10 am

Personally I feel like the class fantasy of zealot (and runepriest I guess although I don't play it) is lacking, in that the marks and rituals feel tacked on whereas they should be a core mechanic of the class.

First suggestion is have the activated ability of a mark change depending on if the zealot has the harbinger of doom toggled on or off. If on, the abilities stay as they are, as the zealot is in dps mode. When toggled off, change the activated abilities to provide a heal/HoT/shield depending on the mark.
Secondly, all marks effects currently on other players should activate when the Zealot activates their own mark. This way you aren't relying on your teammates to remember to press the skill. This activation should be tied to the Zealots ability cool down timer, not those of your teammates, allowing other players to still activate the skill when they like.

I'd suggest having rituals be more powerful but be channeled. Players bearing your marks would also gain an aura bestowing the benefit of the ritual to players around them, but they would be free to move. Alternatively, add a new ability that allows you to mark another player as a conduit, through which you channel the ritual effect, similar to dark protector.

All of these suggestions don't benefit the zealot when playing solo, so I'm not sure how it could be scaled to also be useful when solo. Maybe when solo you can bear multiple marks, and all activate at once? Maybe when solo, the rituals are just self buffs that bestow a passive effect?

Anyway I think this would make the marks and rituals feel more core to the class and more fun to use effectively.

Ads
M0rw47h

Re: Zealot/RP add more interaction with marks and rituals

Post#2 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:16 am

Rituals are really powerful...

Nameless

Post#3 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Change marks/runes to have some buffing/debuffing effects sounds good for me. The dps effect atm is quite poor and useless. Additional effects should make rp/zl gameplay more deep
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

Telen
Suspended

Post#4 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 pm

Zealot has one of the best themes in game with great looking abilities. Shamefully its such a boring class to play with a dead mechanic and very poor dps spec.

lyncher12

Post#5 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:01 pm

channeled anything is bad

courtsdad1

Post#6 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Telen wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 pm Zealot has one of the best themes in game with great looking abilities. Shamefully its such a boring class to play with a dead mechanic and very poor dps spec.
Yes so boring as you heal like a stud and laugh as the enemy tries to kill you. What exactly is a "dead mechanic" because aside from people wanting them to dps like a Sorc I don't see it. Literally the best healer in the game.

OP Zealot is fine in its given roll.

courtsdad1

Post#7 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:22 pm

Nameless wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:16 pm Change marks/runes to have some buffing/debuffing effects sounds good for me. The dps effect atm is quite poor and useless. Additional effects should make rp/zl gameplay more deep
Again, more deep than what? You heal like crazy, buff AP if you choose and are very hard to take down thus aggravating your enemy. Its fine other than the last changes should be rolled back.

Nameless

Post#8 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:58 pm

courtsdad1 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:22 pm
Nameless wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:16 pm Change marks/runes to have some buffing/debuffing effects sounds good for me. The dps effect atm is quite poor and useless. Additional effects should make rp/zl gameplay more deep
Again, more deep than what? You heal like crazy, buff AP if you choose and are very hard to take down thus aggravating your enemy. Its fine other than the last changes should be rolled back.
Like give runes according to the current situation instead spam them cos of some minor stat increase. Almost noone use marks/buffs dps element if they had some buffs/debuffs that will make rp/zealot gameplay more richer.
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

Ads
Telen
Suspended

Post#9 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:25 pm

courtsdad1 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:21 pm Yes so boring as you heal like a stud and laugh as the enemy tries to kill you. What exactly is a "dead mechanic" because aside from people wanting them to dps like a Sorc I don't see it. Literally the best healer in the game.

OP Zealot is fine in its given roll.
Boring as in you dont have any mechanic to think about. Quite one dimensional. Bit of a spammy playstyle instead of alternating abilities. It just feels like a class from an older mmo. The mechanic really needs something so you have to use it for full effect like the more fun classes. Id love to play a zealot as its my favourite looking class on destro. It would even make me xrealm.

Deifact

Post#10 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:50 pm

I don't intend to take away from what others like about the class, but I agree that it's a bit one dimensional. Rituals at the moment are just drop and forget, which kind of goes against the idea of a ritual, which is focused and involved.

To me, zealot feels like there were a few different ideas for types of abilities but nothing links up together. I think linking rituals to work with marks could add additional depth to the class.