Recent Topics

Ads

Can't open RoRlauncher.exe

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
alexander1945

Can't open RoRlauncher.exe

Post#1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Hey there
I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out with a problem. I have recently returned to RoR after a couple of months off, and for some reason I can't open the launcher.
For some reason it wont start most of the times, when double-clicked it will breifly show up in the taskmaster, before disappearing again. A few times a box has popped up, stating that "RoRlauncher.exe has stopped working, windows is searching for a solution".
I have tried following the general troubleshooting advice, including running it as admin, unblocking it, ticking off "read-only" for the entire folder, as well as downloading the client and the launcher, and doing a full reinstal.

I'm not the most tech savvy of people, so I hope one of you will be able to help me out.

Kind regards Alex

Ads
Mieloch

Re: Can't open RoRlauncher.exe

Post#2 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:24 pm

i had the same problem today, and just copied full game folder from where it was to desktop, and it worked,

alexander1945

Post#3 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Mieloch wrote:i had the same problem today, and just copied full game folder from where it was to desktop, and it worked,
Thank you for the suggestion Mieloch. I've just tested this and I'm afraid it didn't work for me, however I hope it might still help others.

EDIT: I've also tried installing RoR on different hardrives, including an external one, just to see if it made any difference. I can conclude that so far it hasn't helped.

Kind regards Alex

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#4 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:01 pm

Just for testing.

Download the LAUNCHER (only) again. Unpack it anywhere (on windows desk for exemple) and start it.

Obviously you won't connect ingame, but just to know if it starts.

alexander1945

Post#5 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 pm

Hey Yaliskah, thank you for taking your time to help me out.
I've tried your suggestion in a couple of places, but the results remain the same.
I've wondered if it might be my antivirus that's messing with things, but after turning it off completely and redownloading and testing, it doesn't make a difference.

Kind regards Alex

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#6 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 pm

So you are unable to start the launcher...

It happened once with a player. We solved it moving all the game folder in "program files" folder.

alexander1945

Post#7 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:46 am

Yaliskah wrote:So you are unable to start the launcher...

It happened once with a player. We solved it moving all the game folder in "program files" folder.
I've tried it both the "program files" and "program files (x86)" folders, as I wasn't sure which one would work. Unfortunately, none of these locations made a difference.

Kind regards Alex

alexander1945

Post#8 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:55 am

I've been trying out a range of solutions, both going in and changing read-only attributes with cmd.exe, as well as using both "Process Monitor" and "Dependency walker" so see if that would show me anything.
So far still no luck, the launcher barely registers on the task manager before shutting down.
Also I forgot to mention that I'm running Win 7 64-bit, if that makes any difference.

Kind regards Alex

Ads
alexander1945

Post#9 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:32 am

I've finally found a solution to my problem.
In a roundabout way I found a guy with a similar problem with a different program. The fault apparently lay with a couple of .ocx files, although I'm not sure what they do.
Apparently they are installed and updated regularly through windows system update files, so i redownloaded all the update files since last i played, and installed them in order.
My RoRLauncher now work exactly as it used to, and I'm now ready to head back into the fray.

Kind regards Alex