Recent Topics

Ads

The quaint adventures of a bored but curious Zealot - Winds of Chaos

Fan art? Some amazing artists in here.
RvR Videos? 6v6 fights? Show off your skills!
Looking to stream the game? We encourage it!
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Bosli

The quaint adventures of a bored but curious Zealot - Winds of Chaos

Post#1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:28 pm

Unexplored corners of Warhammer. Never before seen spikey hills and mountains. If you believe hard enough, walls don't exist.
This is a series where I basically go to places not intended to be reached.
No cheats or punts were used.

Today's zone: Winds of Chaos

The Winds of Chaos is a special zone that can be reached with a portal in The Inevitable City floating on some rocks behind the Arena. It hasn't been implemented in RoR until a while back.
Before, the way was blocked by an invisible wall and if you managed to get around it (which of course I managed to do) the portal destination wasn't set.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
The portal takes you to different places that are connected in one way or another to Warhammer or Mythic.
  • There's the mountaintop with Empire and Dark Elf ships stuck in the air,
    Spoiler:
  • the small island with a sandcastle,
    Spoiler:
  • the tiny Empire castle all with walls, houses and windmills,
    Spoiler:
  • an ice prison with a friend watching a duel,
    Spoiler:
  • Camelot,
    Spoiler:
    One of the houses can be entered. I guess I live here now.
    Spoiler:
    Is this how you become a blacksmith, you just find an empty forge?
    Some cool unique objects, modeled and textured.
    Spoiler:
    On to Camelot!
  • as well as the Moon, which some of the naughty players might be familiar with.
    Spoiler:

But if you saw my other adventures, I'm not satisfied with that. Time to boundary break!
As you could probably guess, all these zones are actually on one map. So once we break free, we can visit anything we want.
Spoiler:
Here we have a bit of a further view of the "tiny zone".

Here is the frozen prison from outside, surrounded by walls to block entering/exiting.

North of the castle of Camelot, we can see a certain volcano on the minimap. Nothing more than that, sadly.

Here's a closeup of the "earth", which could even be used as a wallpaper.
It is actually just a 2D picture that's always aligned orthogonally towards the player camera, and can be seen from most areas of the whole map that don't have an individual skybox set.

Near the center of the map, there's some alien writing on the ground. It spells AT_Ge , anything else is painted over with other ground textured.
Not sure what it means, maybe someone has a guess.

And here is a special friend I made. He has no idea how he got there or what to do. He doesn't even remember how to attack. He wields a chaos spear and hides a dwarf helmet in his belly.
Interestingly, he does follow me, but only if we're still in combat and I'm a long distance away. Would have taken too long to bring him to the moon area though.
Of course I had to kill him, because of all I know about this game, he could drop anything, even Sovereign gear. He only dropped a trash item though.

To finish up the post, here are some general informations that didn't really need screenshots.
  • If you die and release inside the Winds of Chaos, you just respawn at where you died, since there is no respawn point set.
  • The few water parts (island, below flying ships, river at Camelot) just teleport you up from floor to water surface when entering, and you fall down when swimming outside.
  • At the map borders, if you turn the camera outside, the color correction / chromatic aberration / gamma changes, and the character looks kind of fuzzy-gray.
  • Like the moon, also the "stars" skybox can be seen from many spots of the map that don't have an individual skybox set.
  • The Camelot area has invisible walls surrounding it. From outside, I could get in by walking in the castle wall where it didn't have collision yet (map border).
    The portal leads to dead-center of the Apex in the Inevitable City, right inside the fire beam, by the way.
  • Trying to jump off the map, you get instantly teleported to the Rally Master close to the Apex, with the chat message:
    "The Winds of Change blow strongly in uncharted territory, and have transported you back to your capital."
    This message does not pop for the regular "timeout" after about half a minute, which it actually did on live if I remember correclty.
  • Beside Camelot and the ice prison, the other areas can easily be exited and entered (except that you can't get back up on the flying ships).
  • There's an "absolute black" as well as "absolute red" floor textured area between the portal destinations, which could be used for the background of screenshots.
    They can actually be seen by just walking in one direction and checking the minimap, sometimes you can even reach them within the normal time limit without boundary-breaking.

Hope you enjoyed this one, took more time than I thought to order all the screenshots!
Next adventure will take some time, and I'm not set on which zone to do next!

Ads
Sinisterror

Re: The quaint adventures of a bored but curious Zealot - Winds of Chaos

Post#2 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:42 am

I enjoy these=)
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

Vilhelmina

Post#3 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:15 am

Thanks for sharing with us your little adventures, Bosli Baggins. ;)

xpander
Community Management

Post#4 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:28 am

Thanks for Sharing. I remember this from live also, used to explore :)
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Bosli

Post#5 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:49 pm

Thanks!
I'm actually looking for input on which zone to check out next, so please leave a suggestion on what you think could be interesting! No IC and Altdorf though, since pumpkinstairs don't work anymore. :cry: