Recent Topics

Ads

Maurader mechanic details?

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Stonks

Maurader mechanic details?

Post#1 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:02 pm

I'm looking for a few numbers that i couldn't seem to find on some of the marauder mechanics.

1. how does offhand hits work with dual wielding? Does weapon attack speed affect it? is there only a small % chance to hit with off hand? is it reduced damage? Can offhand attacks proc Marauder gifts? do offhand hits proc on channeled abilities?

2.looking for info on how Marauder gifts work specifically. they proc once and then go on cooldown for 5 seconds? can you swap stances after a mostrosity proc to try and get get a savagery stack? is stance dancing a thing? am i able to use gutripper following a parry, then switch to brutality stance to get the guaranteed crit on impale?

3. Concerning tactics. Can Riposte Proc marauder gifts? Will backlash still proc dmg when you parry/evade/disrupt, can it stack? is the 3 sec internal cooldown of warped flesh make it useless? are brush off/closecombat better choices? are there any other marauder abilites that would make riposte/backlash scale better?

Ads
Foofmonger

Re: Maurader mechanic details?

Post#2 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:31 pm

Stonks wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:02 pm I'm looking for a few numbers that i couldn't seem to find on some of the marauder mechanics.

1. how does offhand hits work with dual wielding? Does weapon attack speed affect it? is there only a small % chance to hit with off hand? is it reduced damage? Can offhand attacks proc Marauder gifts? do offhand hits proc on channeled abilities?

2.looking for info on how Marauder gifts work specifically. they proc once and then go on cooldown for 5 seconds? can you swap stances after a mostrosity proc to try and get get a savagery stack? is stance dancing a thing? am i able to use gutripper following a parry, then switch to brutality stance to get the guaranteed crit on impale?

3. Concerning tactics. Can Riposte Proc marauder gifts? Will backlash still proc dmg when you parry/evade/disrupt, can it stack? is the 3 sec internal cooldown of warped flesh make it useless? are brush off/closecombat better choices? are there any other marauder abilites that would make riposte/backlash scale better?
1. You have a 50% chance to swing your offhand everytime you swing your mainhand. It does do reduced damage (but I forget by how much exactly, you can test on a dummy). Offhand attacks can proc Marauder Gifts. Channeled Abilities do not allow for auto attacks while channeling, either mainhand or offhand. (Note, Brutality proc makes it so you have a "nearly" 100% chance to swing your offhand, it seems like 100% to me but I could be wrong, it may be in the 90s).

2. They can re-proc while they are already up, they have no internal cooldown. If you swap stances you lose the proc, you cannot have proc from one stance and be in another stance. Stance dancing is a thing, you can indeed do what you just said about Gut Ripper and Impale. Stances do not hit your global cooldown, this means you can swap stances and use abilities immediately, you don't have to wait at all.

3. I don't know about Riposte proccing gifs, but I'd be very surprised if it did. Backlash is a garbage tactic I've never seen anyone use so I couldn't tell you since I've never tested it. Warped Flesh is fairly useless except in some situations (early game or some weird duel specs), anything that increases your damage should make riposite/backlash better, but for "riposte" builds the Marauder is not a top-tier DPS class. You want to either be a Choppa/Slayer for the 50% bezerk damage, or a WH/WE who can proc much more damaging abilities off the ripostes. The White Lion and Marauder are the worst MDPS classes for "thorns" builds, because they tend to have the least amount of damage scaling. Even with your Mutated Aggressor up, you aren't hitting as hard as a Choppa/Slayer can riposte. On the Marauder that's a total ineffective meme spec that won't work unless you are ridiculously well geared and know exactly what you are doing (you'd also never use backlash or warped flesh).

3.1: Brush Off is not great, 10% disrupt is generally not worth a tactic. There could be extreme cases where you are like in a scenario with 5 Bright Wizards and maybe you'd slot it in or something just because you are tired of dying so quickly, but it would be rare. Close Combat is pretty good for the same as above, similar kind of functionaltiy but 25% damage > 10% disrupt. It does have the caveat of "if you aren't hitting anything it doesn't do anything", so it's not great if you are just getting kited around and blown up (but it is good if you are getting shot down while trying to focus MDPS or healers or something).

Overall Advice:

Don't play the riposte spec on the Marauder, you aren't gonna have a good time. You basically want to do one of the following four things (for whatever playstyle/situation you want)

1. Focus on defense and AoE utility (morale and AP drains).
2. Focus on defense and Single Target utility (heal, armor, and wounds debuffs).
3. Focus on offense and AoE damage.
4. Focus on offense and single target damage.

When I say "focus on X" that's in terms of how you gear/tactic/spec your character.

For defensive specs, you want defensive armor sets (such as the scenario and many of the PVE sets since those are the "off spec, sets", also Alt Sov is another), utility/defensive tactics, and your main goal is to just be a debuffing/draining hard to kill annoyance. You aren't trying to kill people, you are trying to survive so you can prevent the enemy from doing anything so your team can kill them.

For offensive specs, you want offensive armor sets (these tend to be the ORVR sets), offensive tactics, and your main goal is to be a DPS class. You are trying to kill people, and not debuff/drain them so others can kill them.

What you absolutely do not want to do (and I see far too often), is mix up what you are trying to do. Trying to be a jack of all trades Marauder who has "ok survivability, and "ok damage" leads you to feel like you have no real role and that the class isn't good. This is a common trap for the Marauder class and has been since it first came out in 08. Because it has solid defensive and utility options, people look at the class and try to go "hey I can build a guy who can deal good damage and survive a long time and debuff the enemy team, all at once!" yea that doesn't work in reality. You 100% need to optimize for what you want to be doing, a Marauder who doesn't deal enough damage to be threatening, and isn't survivable enough to get in the middle of things and live, is just a useless Marauder. If you're gonna be focusing on DPS, you need to accept that you need to go glass-cannon (to the degree Marauders can be glass cannon, they are still tankier then other glass cannon DPS classes). If you are focusing on defense and utility, you need to give up trying to do "good damage" it's not gonna happen and reducing your defenses for slightly more pitiful damage just makes you worse at staying alive and debuffing people.

Stonks

Post#3 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:10 pm

awesome, thx for the advice.

Saekim

Post#4 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:04 pm

Does anyone know of some "building guidelines" for those 4 viable options you mentioned? What path to chose, renown abilities.. I'm kinda lost Hahaha

Grock

Post#5 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:06 pm

Foofmonger wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:31 pm 2. They can re-proc while they are already up, they have no internal cooldown.
Are you sure about that? IIRC the usual rule for these kinda procs is they can't proc over an existing effect.
And i didn't notice brut/monstro duration renewing while hitting dummies

Riposte is proccing chopp/slayer thingy so should be able to proc other on-hit effects as well
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)