Recent Topics

Ads

[Swordmaster] Builds, hints and tips.

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Madcatmech
Suspended

Re: [Swordmaster] Builds, hints and tips.

Post#241 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:52 pm

Ok so I tested quick escape, sudden shift does break it.

Playing with block a little more it is indeed comparable to parry but like stated also defense from ranged and magic making it a better investment overall.

tactics do stack

Ads
Marsares

Post#242 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:06 pm

Madcatmech wrote:Ok so I tested quick escape, sudden shift does break it.

Playing with block a little more it is indeed comparable to parry but like stated also defense from ranged and magic making it a better investment overall.

tactics do stack
The next question of interest would then be: can a SnB SM do decent enough damage vs a 2-hander to make it of interest, taking into account the extra utility (e.g. WW) it may give?

I always found the damage and the utility lacking, which did not make up for the loss of damage and therefore, unless you play in a WB that was setup around WW, I never felt SnB to be the superior spec. But things have changed since I played SnB many blue moons ago.
Karak-Norn /// Asildur - RR100 WL /// Marsares - RR95 AM /// Nirnaeth - RR64 SW

Wdova

Post#243 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:34 am

Marsares wrote:

tactics do stack
The next question of interest would then be: can a SnB SM do decent enough damage vs a 2-hander to make it of interest, taking into account the extra utility (e.g. WW) it may give?

I always found the damage and the utility lacking, which did not make up for the loss of damage and therefore, unless you play in a WB that was setup around WW, I never felt SnB to be the superior spec. But things have changed since I played SnB many blue moons ago.
SnB SM cannnot be on pair with 2H one in terms of DPS. 2handers in general hits harder, You get tactic which also increase your dmg by another 10% and parry by 5%. Ethernal dance is nearly spamable. The point is in standard 2H build You will not get knockdown and WW. I personaly like SnB playstyle much more than 2H one even 2H is more effective for SM role.

PS: Where are the damn movies about SnB SM dpsers Cythe? :-D Make some! please!
Pigbutcher - Choppa RR80+
Cyplenkov - Marauder RR80+
Vdova - Witch elf RR80+

Hajzl - Swordmaster RR80+
Roznetka - Engineer RR70+

Madcatmech
Suspended

Post#244 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:21 am

Marsares wrote:

tactics do stack

SnB is basically only better for bombing Warbands. Any other playstyle (pugstomping in sc's/6v6/smallscale roaming) 2H Kaine/Hoeth is superior. SM is lacking hard CC and endurance in SnB spec (the amount of block you can get in SnB is a joke).

Been thinking about improving the perfect defenses tactic to give the same amount of parry it does now but give extra block whilst moving it up to middle tactic slot. That would certainly up the endurance of SnB SM. Utility wise its hard finding an improvement that does not result in SM to become overpowered; most of the utility comes out of the Hoeth tree which already is a very good mastery path besides the tactics (maybe create a tactic that replaces aoe knockback with an aoe stagger and with a cooldown?).

The overall problem is that SnB WW is semi-META and 2H ED is META in their respective field they are currently used for (warbands - 6v6). And while I believe that it is a good thing to have any spec viable in multiple playstyles; I understand that attaining such a situation is very low on the developers list currently.

Collateral

Post#245 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 am

I personally don't see how snb could deal more dmg than 2h. Really the only reason you take snb into a wb is for htl. Sm has some utility in wbs with ww and the bubble (and stat steal ofc), so it's not completely useless. In small scale though, seems pretty pointless. I'm not a huge expert, but I would argue that even your survivability is better as 2h.

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#246 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Anyone run Rugged on 2h SM or just go full dps tactics (double dot, GWM, BA)? I feel odd having only about 380-400ish Toughness on a tank.

Question #2: Is full Merc good for starting gear, or should I grab 2 slot Ruin for armor bonus as well? Obviously gonna grab BL too when I can but I have 5 slot Merc now. And what talis? Half strength half armor? Or full strength? Or something else?

This is for 2h SM in group setting btw.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

Achilleos

Post#247 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:45 pm

I run Great Weapon Mastery, Balanced Accuracy, Potent Enchantment and Ensorcelled Agony/Isha's Protection for tactics. Toughness tends to only Play out if you stack it really high.

Also I simply don't see the 2h SM as a proper tank by any means. He is more of a sturdy DPS with some tank'ish gimmicks. And therefore should Focus on his DPS potential with Strength Talis. And maybe Wounds as second choice.

Can't say to much about different armor choices, as I went full Annihilator and am now swapping over to Dominator piece by piece.
Ironbreaker of the 3rd Bitterstone Thunderers
Grondil Anvilfist, Warrior

Skyy

Post#248 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Also I simply don't see the 2h SM as a proper tank by any means. He is more of a sturdy DPS with some tank'ish gimmicks. And therefore should Focus on his DPS potential with Strength Talis. And maybe Wounds as second choice.
I do not agree with this at all. If you play a tank class and can't guard then you are doing it wrong (imho). Don't get me wrong I love playing dps SM and want to do as much dmg as possible. But as a tank i also need to help my grp. Otherwise ANY other dps class can out-dmg a SM with right circumstanses. Played right SM might be the best 2h off-tank just because he can guard AND do dmg.

Dont want to name and shamy any1 but there is a certain high RR SM who is the perfect example of SM-lol-dps mentallity. He runs in yelling "Heal me!"/"Guard me!", then overextends and die. Release --> Repeat... Don't be like him ppl.

SM is insanely effective when paired with the right other classes but for that he needs to be able to guard. I ran 3p Ruin + BL + Worldbreaker jewels on low RR, together with max out parry and disrupt/dodge. This will give you decent dmg and survivability enuff to guard.

Ads
Madcatmech
Suspended

Post#249 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:52 pm

GodlessCrom wrote:Anyone run Rugged on 2h SM or just go full dps tactics (double dot, GWM, BA)? I feel odd having only about 380-400ish Toughness on a tank.

Question #2: Is full Merc good for starting gear, or should I grab 2 slot Ruin for armor bonus as well? Obviously gonna grab BL too when I can but I have 5 slot Merc now. And what talis? Half strength half armor? Or full strength? Or something else?

This is for 2h SM in group setting btw.
Look at page 23. Post 225 and 227.

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#250 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:56 pm

Ah didnt catch that before, thanks. Who are you from Fusion btw? Thought all their SMs were peter and Cythe?

So before I get full Dom, I assume mixing merc+BL is the way to go?

EDIT: Also, no deft defender? Is WoDS enough to help with ranged spam? I take DD on all my tanks, feels weird to not have it.

And no Winds Impervious rings? I feel like this will end up being pretty squishy against ranged.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!