Recent Topics

Ads

[SW] Scout Stance thoughts

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
sidhevicious

[SW] Scout Stance thoughts

Post#1 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:41 pm

I love the idea of SW, and enjoyed levelling to 40. Even enjoyed many scenarios (where Order actually played). But going to try a different class for a while.

On Scout Stance:
Great abilities: Fell The Weak, Festering Arrow, Enchanted Arrows
Mediocre Abilities: Glass Arrow (its instant cast, but meh otherwise)
Lousy: Flame Arrow (low damage DoT, needs TWO tactics to raise it from lousy to mediocre - Smoldering Arrows, Enchanted Arrows)
Required: Enchanted Arrows, No Quarter .... these two make the spec somewhat viable, but there is no synergy between the corporeal damage and physical damage abilities, so its expensive to take both, and better to focus on one or the other).

Terrible:
- Guerilla Training (prefer replenishing strikes, which doesn't require a mastery point)
- Rain of Steel - nowhere good enough to tempt me to go 15 points deep into the spec for an M4 if you already get Hail of Doom for free.

Missing from the Spec:
- No run speed bonus, mdps WILL over-run you, if mara doesn't pull you into the melee zerg from a million miles away.
- No AoE (barring the repetitive M4).
- No general damage increasing abilities (many specs/classes have tactic for 10-15% permanent damage bonus - greataxe mastery, etc.).
- Meh instant cast abilities.

Stupid class abilities:
- Steady Aim. Just take it off your hotbar. You might get ONE crit out of it, but generally it will drop your DPS. It would even be better if the cost factor was a 6 second root, as then you might actually get 2 or 3 shots off, and you would need to time its activation carefully (opportunity cost). Alternately, have SA remove all cooldowns for 6 seconds (instead of buffing your crit).

My recommendations for what its worth:
- The scout stance bonus should be better than 10% range, or inherently have a 1s cast time reduction to scout abilities, and it definitely some form of escape that is better than the current implementation of whirling pin.
- Flaming arrow should do explosive damage to ALL targets within 20ft, not just one, and the smoldering arrow tactic should be rolled into enchanted arrows so you don't need two tactics to buff one ability that is on a timer anyway.
- Guerilla Training and Rain of Steel are not worth taking at all, under any circumstance. They would be better to replace with a worthwhile escape mechanism. Rain of Steel should be replaced with a long range 'grenade' to supplement Flaming Arrow, rather than a totally ignorable channel.

EDIT 1: I didn't mention VoN. its a decent ability, but unfortunately insufficient on its own. The idea I suppose is to double it up with Steady Aim, except SA is less than useless. If SA was improved, I wouldn't mind it having a 10 sec shared cooldown with VoN, so you can use one or the other, but not both at the same time. Between the two abilities, you would then have 16-20 seconds out of 30 of being a decent class.

EDIT 2: I am opting to roll a choppa or slayer instead.
Casual Player.

Ads
Manatikik

Re: [SW] Scout Stance thoughts

Post#2 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:15 pm

sidhevicious wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:41 pm I love the idea of SW, and enjoyed levelling to 40. Even enjoyed many scenarios (where Order actually played). But going to try a different class for a while.

On Scout Stance:
Lousy: Flame Arrow (low damage DoT, needs TWO tactics to raise it from lousy to mediocre - Smoldering Arrows, Enchanted Arrows)
Required: Enchanted Arrows, No Quarter .... these two make the spec somewhat viable, but there is no synergy between the corporeal damage and physical damage abilities, so its expensive to take both, and better to focus on one or the other).

Terrible:
- Guerilla Training (prefer replenishing strikes, which doesn't require a mastery point)
- Rain of Steel - nowhere good enough to tempt me to go 15 points deep into the spec for an M4 if you already get Hail of Doom for free.

Missing from the Spec:
- No run speed bonus, mdps WILL over-run you, if mara doesn't pull you into the melee zerg from a million miles away.
- No general damage increasing abilities (many specs/classes have tactic for 10-15% permanent damage bonus - greataxe mastery, etc.).

Stupid class abilities:
- Steady Aim. Just take it off your hotbar. You might get ONE crit out of it, but generally it will drop your DPS. It would even be better if the cost factor was a 6 second root, as then you might actually get 2 or 3 shots off, and you would need to time its activation carefully (opportunity cost). Alternately, have SA remove all cooldowns for 6 seconds (instead of buffing your crit).

- The scout stance bonus should be better than 10% range, or inherently have a 1s cast time reduction to scout abilities, and it definitely some form of escape that is better than the current implementation of whirling pin.
- Flaming arrow should do explosive damage to ALL targets within 20ft, not just one, and the smoldering arrow tactic should be rolled into enchanted arrows so you don't need two tactics to buff one ability that is on a timer anyway.
- Guerilla Training and Rain of Steel are not worth taking at all, under any circumstance. They would be better to replace with a worthwhile escape mechanism. Rain of Steel should be replaced with a long range 'grenade' to supplement Flaming Arrow, rather than a totally ignorable channel.

EDIT 1: I didn't mention VoN. its a decent ability, but unfortunately insufficient on its own. The idea I suppose is to double it up with Steady Aim, except SA is less than useless. If SA was improved, I wouldn't mind it having a 10 sec shared cooldown with VoN, so you can use one or the other, but not both at the same time. Between the two abilities, you would then have 16-20 seconds out of 30 of being a decent class.

Really depends on what aspect of the game you are trying to participate in: Scout works just fine for SC’s and some small group roaming (not top tier but it’s still fine for vs’ing 90% of the population). If you’re looking for large scale WB, aoe fighting then SW is not the class for you.

Also the notion that VoN is anything less than fantastic is laughable at best. It’s arguably the strongest single DPS skill in the game (the other being Rampage on Slayer).
<Montague><Capulet>

larsulu
Suspended

Post#3 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:12 pm

Forget scout, play assault since is broken.
decimo marauder
larsulu zealot
norsemanherra wp
stormurfru dok

wpc56
Suspended

Post#4 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:44 pm

People bring SW for spamming healing debuff, not for dmg... they are assist and not primary dmg. Scout hardly ever work as a spec as it doesn't add anything to the table with severe limitations

If you have frontline pushing or holding then you have all the time in the world to do your dmg but then why not bring BW for more burst or engineer for more dmg and aoe?

You have little mobility so in roaming your party get squished or you are out of range trying to complete that 2 second cast while enemy run out of range... might as well be skirmish then!?

Scout is just completely not "practical"... I mean you can spec it to get a fat 2k+ crit on festering bomb from range but then my bw can get that with boiling blood + all other dots and follow up combo to instantly kill a soft target (unguarded)

Vri

Post#5 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:16 pm

How would you take on a Black Guard, one on one ?
Lets set it up: you see a Black Guard coming but you have not been seen yet.

Flavorburst

Post#6 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Manatikik wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:15 pm
sidhevicious wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:41 pm I love the idea of SW, and enjoyed levelling to 40. Even enjoyed many scenarios (where Order actually played). But going to try a different class for a while.

On Scout Stance:

Terrible:

Missing from the Spec:

Stupid class abilities:

Really depends on what aspect of the game you are trying to participate in: Scout works just fine for SC’s and some small group roaming (not top tier but it’s still fine for vs’ing 90% of the population). If you’re looking for large scale WB, aoe fighting then SW is not the class for you.

Also the notion that VoN is anything less than fantastic is laughable at best. It’s arguably the strongest single DPS skill in the game (the other being Rampage on Slayer).
I think he was talking mostly talking about how garbage Steady Aim is, which I agree with. I like the idea of making it a self root instead of a build increaser, too.

Manatikik

Post#7 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:20 pm

Vri wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:16 pm How would you take on a Black Guard, one on one ?
Depends on the BG. But I wouldn’t try to roam solo as a Scout SW for starters
<Montague><Capulet>

kriminal
Suspended

Post#8 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:57 am

SW is more of a melee class with a range spec now than the other way around. Skirmish is most practical if you don't want to play melee. There in skirmish you can utilise tools that other rdps don't have, however if you want to just do dps you should not play a SW.

Ads
H0tYand3r3

Post#9 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:06 am

Please don't post a thread about a class you've barely played. You are renown rank 22 and don't have any set bonuses. Have you really played the class yet?
Yandrere/Swrsmemes-SW-83RR+ Art Supplies
Islipped-Zealot-4xRR+ (N/A)
Unconventional-BG-7xRR+ (N/A)
Ihealforpesos-DK-7xRR+ (N/A)

Zxul

Post#10 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:09 am

Vri wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:16 pm How would you take on a Black Guard, one on one ?
As a bg in snb dps spec (those do exist)- run to sw while channeling HtL, ranged snare the sw with Wave of Scorn, then melee snare- Juggernaut when sw self punts- kill.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh