Recent Topics

Ads

The "Best PVP MMORPG" - what?

Let's talk about... everything else
Hecksa

Re: The "Best PVP MMORPG" - what?

Post#21 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:32 am

Vlad333 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:12 am I appreciate you mentioning all of these elements. I know some of them, some i do not. I have my buffhead in a standard setting, i just made the icons larger. I know some important ones to look after.
The problem with your reply is that 98% of what you mentioned does not exist in t2. No one does these things. The imbalance does not come from the lack of this knowledge.
I mean, people have no clue what to do on maw of madness. That is the reality of lvl 16+ experience.
You clearly have the questionable blessing of being just a little more aware of the world than the majority of players of this game. This, unfortunately, gives you a couple of choices.

1) You can get really really frustrated at how your enemies seem strong and there's no way to deal with it. Down this path lie repeated losses, always due to the weaknesses of others or the unfairness of the game.
2) You can learn *how* your enemies seem so much stronger, and learn how to deal with it, even at low levels. Perhaps sometimes the answer is "That particular character hard-counters my build. I need to be aware of that and keep away, while dealing with these other characters that are much more vulnerable to me.

No, when you're a level 16 DPS Warrior Priest you won't be able to 1v1 a competent RR 70 Witch Elf (unless they're afk, or truly bad). Even with bolster, which is unquestionably almost *too* powerful, if you understand how to make the most of it. But you *can* be effective.

Get a group. Learn about all the things that were mentioned above which you suggest aren't used in T2, because I promise you, they are. I played up a new character from 0 to 30 in the x2 weekend, and I was in a small group, where between us all we absolutely were considering every single item on that list. Not perfectly, but we tried. We weren't wearing special gear, I didn't send any high-level talismans from my other characters. We were wearing standard RvR and Scenario gear, and we won pretty much every scenario we played. When you're with a good group, you will. We also got plenty of kills in T4 open RvR, too, though yes, we were also swarmed down by the zerg and killed by other parties a few times. That'll happen.

I consider myself a pretty average player, in terms of my knowledge of the game, and skill. I respond to that by surrounding myself with the best players that'll take me, learning from them, and taking every death as a lesson. Turns out, you get a lot more kills that way than if you blame imbalance when you die.
Last edited by Hecksa on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
thewilling

Post#22 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:37 am

Manatikik wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:33 pm
I really does sound like you have the new wave problem of wanting everything handed to you on a platter without putting in work to learn and gear yourself which this game just doesn't cater to - the crux of this game comes down to knowledge and you how you react with your decision making as opposed to who can time a dodge roll the best and chain together the same sequence on keys.

Not sure if you meant to respond to Vlad or the OP but what you wrote here is the only thing that's relevant - and it's wrong. The crux of gameplay for those coming into T2+ and players just reaching 40 is having to click respawn every time some geared player looks in their direction. I would challenge you to make a new character and take him to level 16, jump into the scenarios or RvR that're now available to you. Report back if an enemy DoT or spammable doesn't single-handedly chunk your HP by 20,30% or more. I don't know if I have to repeat myself or if you can read what I posted initially; the problem I'm referring to is the massive GEAR imbalance and the sheer impact that those stats make on whether or not someone can function at all in RvR and in scenarios.

It has nothing to do with a lack of knowledge of those things you mentioned, which would be easily learned by anyone who's dumped thousands of hours into this genre. I guess you felt you had to defend the lack of skill point but that's not at all the issue here. Nobody wants everything on a platter but also nobody wants to be deleted from the game because they haven't succumb to the ridiculous gear treadmill that's needed to be functional. That does, in fact, take away from the skill aspect of the game because some people begin to disingenuously equate being geared with being skilled/knowledgeable.

SaintRon

Post#23 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:23 am

gaston wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm Yeah I understand its frustrating being new and not understanding the game mechanics and losing hard to those who do, I've been there and a lot of times I still am.

Things like obliterator set make a difference, but that's only 3 pieces out of 11, so its not going to bolster you to the level of someone who has set gear/epics in 11/11 slots. Honestly running Sewers/Sacellum for Keepers would probably be better than Oblit so you can get 5set pieces from that.

It sounds like a lack of gear issue here, I got lucky enough to have some good low level pieces for a lvl 18 Slayer alt + Keeper and he's currently wrecking at dps.
I never ran this much in the original game... I've also not seen a piece of keepers drop. Is this rare? Or is it a particular boss people are skipping? I've run Sac twice and Sewers 4 times.. I've seen only garbage drop.

Manatikik

Post#24 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:24 am

Vlad333 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:12 am
thewilling wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:41 pm

I've played a ton of MMOs in my time and I happen to agree with Vlad; you disagree with almost everything so I'm curious where he's wrong? The game is heavily gear based and this causes major imbalance for players across the board and instead of speaking of ways to gain a mechanical advantage, or which abilities he should look out for, or how to engage certain classes in RVR, your first piece of advice is how to get geared in order to be at all relevant. That says a lot. The gear treadmill is real and its effect deteriorates gameplay, just because you know how to make it go a bit quicker and take advantage of those who don't doesn't fix the problem, especially not for those hitting T2 or level 40.

Well MMO's foundation is gear/progression is its kinda paramount to power curve/success in this genre. But to you're whole "skill has nothing to do" statement; do you know ever immunity? are you tracking it? do you know debuff icons/cd's/use your own detaunt? Guard icons and track immuniites to punt/cc tanks away from your target? Are you counter playing the enemies punt/cc game? Do you know what rotation is going to be on you and how to counter it? Do you know every major heal icon/animation and how to shatter/sever/interrupt them? How is your knowledge on the morale meta and what are the enemies win conditions? Do you have your aura/buffhead/dufftimer/daocbuff set up properly so you can track snare breakers/FM's? Flee +AP pot? Are you taunt cycling rezzes as a tank? Most 'skill based things' are built upon a foundation of knowledge in any game (besides maybe true skill based games like fps's or whatever) so if you don't have that foundation of knowledge how are you going to outplay your opponent?

Sounds like you just don't want to put in the work to learn a new game to get better at it where as an MMO is all about time-sync to learn all the hundreds of abilities/effects/icons and what have you while also progressing your toon to a better gear/power level (that tapers off more evenly at Vanq level but all T2/T3 sets are more than viable in t2/t3 content). I really does sound like you have the new wave problem of wanting everything handed to you on a platter without putting in work to learn and gear yourself which this game just doesn't cater to - the crux of this game comes down to knowledge and you how you react with your decision making as opposed to who can time a dodge roll the best and chain together the same sequence on keys.

I appreciate you mentioning all of these elements. I know some of them, some i do not. I have my buffhead in a standard setting, i just made the icons larger. I know some important ones to look after.
The problem with your reply is that 98% of what you mentioned does not exist in t2. No one does these things. The imbalance does not come from the lack of this knowledge.
I mean, people have no clue what to do on maw of madness. That is the reality of lvl 16+ experience.
I guarantee you that it all exists in T2. I just leveled a WP three weeks ago and was able to do 500k Healing in SC's without pots and talis in my gear just using merchant greens and the sets you can buy just by having properly set up UI, proper positioning, and knowing what to do at the right time. In ORvR you will be just this squishy until you are in a proper group and not being outnumbered by a ridiculous zerg (doesnt matter how geared you are vs 24+ people beating on you).

thewilling wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:37 am
I really does sound like you have the new wave problem of wanting everything handed to you on a platter without putting in work to learn and gear yourself which this game just doesn't cater to - the crux of this game comes down to knowledge and you how you react with your decision making as opposed to who can time a dodge roll the best and chain together the same sequence on keys.

Not sure if you meant to respond to Vlad or the OP but what you wrote here is the only thing that's relevant - and it's wrong. The crux of gameplay for those coming into T2+ and players just reaching 40 is having to click respawn every time some geared player looks in their direction. I would challenge you to make a new character and take him to level 16, jump into the scenarios or RvR that're now available to you. Report back if an enemy DoT or spammable doesn't single-handedly chunk your HP by 20,30% or more. I don't know if I have to repeat myself or if you can read what I posted initially; the problem I'm referring to is the massive GEAR imbalance and the sheer impact that those stats make on whether or not someone can function at all in RvR and in scenarios.

It has nothing to do with a lack of knowledge of those things you mentioned, which would be easily learned by anyone who's dumped thousands of hours into this genre. I guess you felt you had to defend the lack of skill point but that's not at all the issue here. Nobody wants everything on a platter but also nobody wants to be deleted from the game because they haven't succumb to the ridiculous gear treadmill that's needed to be functional. That does, in fact, take away from the skill aspect of the game because some people begin to disingenuously equate being geared with being skilled/knowledgeable.

As posted above 3 weeks ago I made a WP and leveled it up all the way up to 70 already. I never got trained or wrecked or deleted or whatever story you are peddling. The game is knowledge and gear based, if you don't have either then yea you're gonna get **** on. But if you take time to actually learn the game then you can react and play accordingly.
<Montague><Capulet>

Mordecaieth

Post#25 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:33 am

This was really entertaining to read. You're quite the narrator/writer.

Mystry
Suspended

Post#26 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:48 am

I don't want to get too entangled in this mess of a thread, but I feel duty-bound to point out that every single person saying, "ur not gearing up!" or something similar, you're full of ****. Low level characters cannot afford overly inflated talisman and potion prices.

Detangler

Post#27 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:16 am

Mystry wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:48 am I don't want to get too entangled in this mess of a thread, but I feel duty-bound to point out that every single person saying, "ur not gearing up!" or something similar, you're full of ****. Low level characters cannot afford overly inflated talisman and potion prices.
Thats cause talisman prices are stupidly inflated. (On Order way moreso than Destro)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36110
Detangler and alts - 84 Chosen, other 40s - DoK, Zealot, SH, WE, BG, BO
Destro - Mostly Harmless
Tangler and alts - 8X IB, other 40s - RP, SM
Order - Most dishonorable

Mystry
Suspended

Post#28 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:36 am

Detangler wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:16 am Thats cause talisman prices are stupidly inflated. (On Order way moreso than Destro)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36110
Absolutely no one should NEED to have alts to play this game. You should make alts because you want to try another class, or you'd like to have another archetype to play when your main gets boring, and so on.

Under no circumstances should you HAVE to have one in order to avoid being screwed over.

I say this as someone WHO HAS ALTS JUST TO DO TRADESKILLS WITH.

Ads
Sulorie

Post#29 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:44 am

Either you farm gold, when you have an appropriate class or you learn crafting skills. Everyone else has to do the same.
At lowlvl, you can start with green talismans, they are cheap, when you know, how to use the auction house. There is zero reason to play without talismans in t1 or t2 and for t3 around lvl30 blue ones can be expected. This might mean, that you have to spend time with crafting or gold farming. The r38 mounts are not for free either. This is some minimum effort any new player has to put in.
Sometimes asking for help to get talis in chat does the trick. Every new player who seeks to improve his gear is most wanted.

Btw, I had a good laugh at that caster, who struggled to hit a disrupt buffed magus, whose range got reduced by a lot. When you are so well aware about game mechanics, maybe let those targets for melee dd, no?
Dying is no option.

emiliorv
Suspended

Post#30 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:57 am

thewilling wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:09 pm
Here you have a scenario where a level 38 Choppa dealt more damage than ALL of our DPS combined: https://imgur.com/a/s7yi6dl
If you are not playing with a premade you MUST NOT BE IN THAT SC => is not really hard to understand...if you are playing as a PUG join only the F***ing PUG SC...you just face a max level choppa grouped with his friends (probably that 2H BO and a shaman) destroying puggers.

Well, if you queue for SC that premades can join you will face that kind of groups....its not a game fault, the game have the tools for puggers yo avoid this, you chose to not use. Its a user fail.