Recent Topics

Ads

My experience working with RoR

Let's talk about... everything else
gojiragwar

My experience working with RoR

Post#1 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:20 pm

Hey everyone,
let's put everything in context to have a better overview of my journey.

My irl job is graphic designer/illustrator, I work as a freelance and mainly do things like flyers, promotional stuff and communication. On my free time, I do love to enhance myself drawing and practicing illustration, and I also,from time to time, play video games.
So while I was playing warhammer, I was pretty inspired by the atmosphere and design of it, so I decided to do some concept art about it, and after a while, I said to myself: "Hey, why not asking the RoR staff about it, who knows, they may need it?"

I contacted Wargrimnir first who redirected me to Yaliskah (lead game artist), everything went pretty good and I was accepted since they planned to release new weapons with new skins !
So, naturally Yali redirected me to the 3D artist so we can start doing our stuff.
Here are the first concepts I made some days after being a "part" of the staff:

Green Skins
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Chaos & Dark Elves
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Empire
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Elves
Spoiler:
You may ask now "But why isn't there Slayer, or runepriest etc ?"
Well, it seems I was working without any feedbacks (other than the 3D artist I worked with) nor considerations, I talked to some people from the staff but rarely an answer ... and then no more at all.
So what to do? Should I continue, should I stop? At this point I'm kinda lost because it seems (I can't certify things since i don't have any feedbacks nor opinions from the core staff) that new skins are planned, same for eventual new armors (at least some enhancements) but when?
It is pretty hard to work with people when they don't communicate, and you have a blurry vision of what to do, i'm pretty sure it has potential, and taking its own direction may be a great thing so RoR could be an alternative version of what warhammer could have been !

Important note:
I don't underestimate work involved in this project, because in a simple way, no staff= no game.
We do all have our life and stuff to do, families, work, holidays, whatever, and the effort put in it is on everybody free time.

In another hand, and this stay my opinion, whenever we tend to do something that involve people, it is always better to do it the best way possible or just we just don't do it at all.

I'm not here to create any drama, I'm just here to share my experience, and I stay direct and honest. I do not encourage you to have any hates whatsoever on specific people.
With this post I wish that everybody (mainly in the staff) realize that creating new content can have a giant potential, and beside game/class balance, it could add a good reason to farm gear, to stay on RoR, to play, to invite friends etc.
Of course, the staff is planning to release new content even without my participation, but I was just confronted with a lack of communication while I was willing to help.

I apologize of course for my imperfect english, I'm just a baguette-man trying to speak out as much as possible !
I don't know how things will evolve for me about RoR, I know i can do quick concepts, and a lot if I'm motivated, but staff-sided it seems to stagnate on this way.

Feel free to contact me, feel free to give feedbacks,

Regards,

Ads
rmpl

Re: My experience working with RoR

Post#2 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:32 pm

simply amazing looking, shame u werent taken seriously

wonshot

Post#3 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Those Empire staff are really danm spot on sir.

Sorry to hear that it was a missmatch in communication, sounded like the same happend when a select few players got invited into a "balance team" to help out with balance, and they were overly motivated compared to a core team who have been at this for more than five years now. Maybe this is a wakeup call for the team, or maybe all the community contributes need to remember how long this project have been running and how much sparetime have already been devoted into it.
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

tazdingo

Post#4 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:46 pm

your art is brilliant. the staff are busy, it feels like this is something you should've come straight to the community with. from posts i've read yal himself is the most interested in putting new resources into the game but i believe he is the server admin/owner, not really a dev

just post everything you have in open threads and build interest that way

Rurik

Post#5 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:04 pm

Hello Krot.

As i already told you, amasing job here ! We all hope things will get better.

Imo, you'll have the support of the community, as being a good artist and the best choppa of the serv. (#nohomo)

It would be a shame to miss your skills.

Thanks to the whole team making this game alive.

PS: On t'aime baybay
Jigglypuff 8* Zealot
Magicarpe 8* Black Orc
Ahryman 8* Magus

TenTonHammer

Post#6 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:35 pm

This might be outside the scope of your work

But with the addition of new weapons will we see new weapon types or existing ones for new classes?

For example mars currently cannot use swords and chosen cannot use hammers/maces

Would that change?

Toonman

Post#7 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:56 pm

Those WL axes look amazing.

Grunbag
Former Staff

Post#8 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:57 pm

This work is simply amazing , I am probably not in the 3D RoR channel , but you should keep the good work man !
Grunbag - 40 - 33 Squig Herder
Skorri - 40 - 65 Engineer

Ads
NoRKaLKiLLa

Post#9 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:12 pm

I'm gone for a few more weeks, but I'll be able to put your weapons in game as soon as I figure out how from max. When I'm back, you can send your nifs to me, I'll work with you to check their function in the dev server and when we have at a minimum one new model per class we'll slap them into the game via a future or existing method of delivery which has redundant duplicate appearances. Hang tight.

Luth

Post#10 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:41 pm

gojiragwar wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:20 pm being a "part" of the staff
[...]
I talked to some people from the staff but rarely an answer ... and then no more at all.
Spoiler: