Recent Topics

Ads

What is your experience with Warhammer

Come and tell us about yourself.
No better way to be part of the community than starting with a brief hello.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Skalier
Banned

What is your experience with Warhammer

Post#1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:49 pm

At the beginning I will write what is my experience with the world of Warhammer.

I started playing in WFRP around 1998 and I played it for about 5 years. At the time I had some Warhammer Battle figures. Later I read only books, supplements for the first edition of the WFRP and I read most of them. Next I read almost the entire series about Gotrek Gurnisson. And in 2005 I started playing Warhammer Mark of Chaos / Battle March, my first Warhammer PC game. I played it for 3 years until Warhammer Online comes out in which I played until 2010. I play about 2 years on this server Return of Reckoning.

I think I can call myself a warhammerofile. I am curious what experience of the Warhammer series have some of you.

Ads
Telen
Suspended

Re: What is your experience with Warhammer

Post#2 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:11 pm

First experience was getting the 1992 starter set with the High Elves vs Goblins from GW when it opened in my town.The one with the picture cards for Eltharion on his Griffon and Grom in his Chariot. Id had GWs HeroQuest board game a couple of Christmases before. Read the Battle Bestiary and Rule Book stories till they fell apart. Painted the figures (badly I was 8) When I got to High School me and 7 of my mates started playing together. I had a little High Elf army lead by Teclis and played it all through School. We have 8 armies all over my friends garage floor and would play all night at the weekend. So geeky but great times.

I hadnt played it for years when the game came out. I was at Uni more interested in drink and women. The only mmo I'd heard of was WoW and had never played it. But gave it a go. Was hooked straight away. Was definately partly responsible for having to repeat a year and a relationship breaking up. But I had fun.
Last edited by Telen on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fallenkezef

Post#3 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 pm

Started with Warhammer Fantasy Battle in 1996 at the tender age of 16, branched into Warhammer 40k that same year. Got into Warhammer Roleplay when I was in sixth form.

I have played every GW title pretty much (even have a copy of Rogue Trader and the original Adeptus Titanicus on my bookshelf).

Started on the novels with Konrad and read most of the GW titles.

At the risk of lacking humility, there is not much about GW titles I have not played/known up untill about 3 years ago.

Now I have a missus and a kid I don't play tabletop anymore.
Alea iacta est

Tesq

Post#4 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:19 am

i started with warhammer online then some friend dragged me into 40k tabletop when live shutte down into chaos space marine.

Draugris

Post#5 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:08 am

I was a fan of Warhammer (and 40K to an extent) since the the first White Dwarf came out. I was very much interested in table top but at that time i neither had the money to buy the models nor any friends that played, so i was forced to only read about it. When the novels got released i bought them all and i loved them.

When i heared that an online game in the warhammer universe was planned i got super excited and applied for closed beta testing. In 2007 i got accepted and could play almost a year ahead of release but Warhammer Online did not look that much like a game in the early stages of closed beta. Then i played after release for about 3 years, read all novels but unfortunately never got into table top, mainly because i simply don´t know anybody who plays it. After the Age of Sigmar nonsense i lost interest in Warhammer and nowadays i only follow what´s happening in 40K.
Live: Carroburg -> Santorro (WH), The first Guard (TfG)

ToXoS

Post#6 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:30 am

My first experience with Warhammer was reading a novel called "Riders of the Dead". It was a good one, even if I didn't understood everything lore-related.
At this time I didn't even knew what Warhammer was, until I met a friend who was playing the tabletop game and AoR.
Because I was interested about it, he loaned me another novel (the first Malus Darkblade if I remember right), and the Dark Elves and Vampire counts army books.
I started to read all that and fallen in love with the warhammer universe.
I tried AoR for two weeks, but never had the time to play back then.
After that, I spent a lot of time reading other novels and anything about the lore (except AoS, that's BS).

NSKaneda

Post#7 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:58 am

When I was 11 or 12 I bought a comic book adaptation of Geheimnisnacht and I was hooked for life :) Later on came Wolf Riders, Drachenfels and Gotrek saga accompanied by WHFRP campaign that lasted for few years, WHFB and WH40K armies (Dwarfs, Eldar and Orcs), Mordheim (Skaven and Witch Hunters), GorkaMorka and almost all Warhammer games for PC.

Whole tour of AoR from launch till shutdown with 8 months hiatus (SWTOR+GW2). I might not be a hardcore fan but Warhammer and I do have a long history.
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

warislove

Post#8 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:05 pm

first experience with warhammer was playing Space Hulk in 1993 on my 386DX beast...than a few rts games came along also liked them before discovering AoR...never tried tabletop

Ads
Skalier
Banned

Post#9 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:15 pm

I did this topic because a few people suggested that I should play other games because it is not a game for me because on several issues I have other ideas or visions. But it seems that these were the opinions of pug farmers who themselves should play something else. However, I have one of the greatest, near 20 year experiences associated with this series of games. However, each warhammer game has a different system and on these issues I may be wrong because it is the only MMO game I played.

Fallenkezef

Post#10 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:37 pm

Skalier wrote:I did this topic because a few people suggested that I should play other games because it is not a game for me because on several issues I have other ideas or visions. But it seems that these were the opinions of pug farmers who themselves should play something else. However, I have one of the greatest, near 20 year experiences associated with this series of games. However, each warhammer game has a different system and on these issues I may be wrong because it is the only MMO game I played.
Don't tar all puggers with a dirty brush, some of us are quite nice and relatively housetrained.

Just curious, what where these issues/opinions?
Alea iacta est