Recent Topics

Ads

[Review] [BW/Sorc] Mechanic

Proposals after the two week discussion period will be moved to this sub-forum for internal review.
Penril

[Review] [BW/Sorc] Mechanic

Post#1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:20 pm

Give me a Sorc/BW mechanic that makes them not stay at 100 all the time. Or, at least, makes it very dangerous to stay at 100 all the time.

You have 2 weeks to post one (or to explain why this is not necessary).

Ads
Hargrim
Developer

Re: [BW/Sorc] Mechanic

Post#2 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:22 pm

At 81+ you have a chance to go boom and nuke your whole party in X feet for Y dmg with each skill you use!

Manatikik

Post#3 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:37 pm

Could a solution be to give more useful skills that drain the current resource? Like tie more large burst to it so BW/Sorcs can't just build combustion then do the same rotation again and again with full combustion?

Only issue with that is it makes Slayer/Choppa and BW/Sorc pretty close mechanic-wise.
<Montague><Capulet>

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#4 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:37 pm

As was floated during internal discussions.

At high mechanic levels you current receive some damage in exchange for very high crit damage and bonus crit chance.

Instead of taking damage, which is generally inconsequential in warband play due to healers, impose a stacking Wounds debuff. Each time you would normally take damage from your mechanic, instead you lose 5% of your total health.

Once your combustion drops below some arbitrary amount (say 50% or so), the stacks begin to tick down. Using your dump mechanic would remove 2-3 stacks instantly, giving a red line that most would not want to cross. You would be able to pump your mechanic, get off a rotation, and if you're lucky, dump the remaining mechanic to return back to your normal level of wounds. Since you're removing a debuff, this would not incur a free amount of healing.

This would allow several components in the UI to alert yourself, allies, and enemies to your current condition. All three would be able to note the stack level of your debuff, and enemies would have a window of opportunity to punish you for it.

Skilled players would be able to manage their mechanic and stacks on a rotation where they go in for burst, and pull back to recuperate, which I think fits the intended style of play for these classes. Overextending your mechanic increases the chance you get picked off, going out in a blaze of glory.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Zanilos

Post#5 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:43 pm

I think that thats the wrong way to go at it. Instead, make more abilities drain your comb/dark magic. So you literally cant be 100% all the time.

roadkillrobin

Post#6 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Make some abilties that costs mechanics thats worth using.

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#7 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:50 pm

wargrimnir wrote:As was floated during internal discussions.

At high mechanic levels you current receive some damage in exchange for very high crit damage and bonus crit chance.

Instead of taking damage, which is generally inconsequential in warband play due to healers, impose a stacking Wounds debuff. Each time you would normally take damage from your mechanic, instead you lose 5% of your total health.

Once your combustion drops below some arbitrary amount (say 50% or so), the stacks begin to tick down. Using your dump mechanic would remove 2-3 stacks instantly, giving a red line that most would not want to cross. You would be able to pump your mechanic, get off a rotation, and if you're lucky, dump the remaining mechanic to return back to your normal level of wounds. Since you're removing a debuff, this would not incur a free amount of healing.

This would allow several components in the UI to alert yourself, allies, and enemies to your current condition. All three would be able to note the stack level of your debuff, and enemies would have a window of opportunity to punish you for it.

Skilled players would be able to manage their mechanic and stacks on a rotation where they go in for burst, and pull back to recuperate, which I think fits the intended style of play for these classes. Overextending your mechanic increases the chance you get picked off, going out in a blaze of glory.
This was literally going to be my suggestion. Damn. How would this wounds debuff interact with other buffs/debuffs that interact with wounds stat, i.e. WP wounds buff or Marauder wounds debuff? Presumably they would all stack?

Apologies if these questions are not relevant.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

Penril

Post#8 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:53 pm

You guys are missing the point. These classes gain insane bonuses for being at 100, and the drawback is a ridiculous backlash that can be healed with a HoT from any healer. Slayer/Choppa, on the other hand, receive nasty penalties for staying red all the time.

The idea is to make it dangerous to stay at 100 on a BW/Sorc (backlash is NOT dangerous). This can come with some buffs ofc; we also discussed internally the possibility of buffing Meltdown for example.

Ads
Penril

Post#9 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:53 pm

@Godlesscrom, all questions are relevant since this is not exactly a "proposal" but more like a "brainstorm" thread. Having said that, most of those questions probably don't have an answer yet since we are just brainstorming. If you think of something, tell us.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#10 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:55 pm

GodlessCrom wrote:
wargrimnir wrote:As was floated during internal discussions.

This was literally going to be my suggestion. Damn. How would this wounds debuff interact with other buffs/debuffs that interact with wounds stat, i.e. WP wounds buff or Marauder wounds debuff? Presumably they would all stack?

Apologies if these questions are not relevant.
Percentage debuffs apply separately from static debuffs that you would get from class abilities. Whether it's before or after the debuff might not make much difference as you get to higher stacks. It's just a concept though, probably more complicated than we can manage without the patcher anyway.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog