[DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Redeye Set

Talk about the development of the emulator and related services.
Check out new and upcoming features to be implemented onto the server.

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
User avatar
Shmerrick
Posts: 87

Re: [DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Redeye Set

Post#31 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:32 am

Spoiler:
Darosh wrote:
Shmerrick wrote:
wargrimnir wrote:
Just boss lockouts. 8 hours I think, so you basically get one boss kill per day.

We're also adding in code so loot drops for classes that are not in your group have an 80% chance to drop. Make sure we have that legitimate live-server feeling. Salt for the Salt Throne!
I thought the idea behind the lockout timer was based on the game being subscription based, and therefore make it so that it was not easy to gain an entire set of gear in one day. I don't understand mechanics like these. If a group of players wants to play the same dungeon hours on end to gain gear, why not let them? In addition, adding a mechanic that will give you BoP gear that isn't for your class goes along with the subscription concept. What I mean by subscription concept means that the server owner wants to extend the actual play time of the character by artificial means for as long as possible so that the player maintain a monthly subscription with the game. This subscription in turn is revenue for the server owner. Since we don't and won't have a subscription option in this game, it doesn't make any sense to implement these types of artificial limitations. These mechanics do not add any positive experiences to gameplay and simply causes frustration.

Regardless, nice work on getting Gunbad working. I look forward to playing through it.
Marked part above accounts for, well if you will, 'superficial' perception. The problem of player retention remains the same and the mechanisms that come about with it do not change much. It's all about dem dopamine hits and the suspense in between, essentially.
But don't worry, the above is likely meant to be a joke - even if its not, you should be happy they are this lenient, live droprates for junk you didn't need were in the 99,98%'s, 80% looks like proper progress for me. :D
Oh I am all to familiar with live drop rates. I had a RR100 SH on my account on live,and had almost every other class to 40+. Maybe my perception is distorted, but I just play to have fun. I thoroughly enjoy PQs and dungeons just for the experience, but I don't like unnecessary grind. I find grind tedious and annoying, and it is beyond me why this is encouraged.

Ads
User avatar
Darosh
Banned
Posts: 1198

Re: [DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Redeye Set

Post#32 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:57 am

Shmerrick wrote: Oh I am all to familiar with live drop rates. I had a RR100 SH on my account on live,and had almost every other class to 40+. Maybe my perception is distorted, but I just play to have fun. I thoroughly enjoy PQs and dungeons just for the experience, but I don't like unnecessary grind. I find grind tedious and annoying, and it is beyond me why this is encouraged.
Oh, I by no means encouraged it. For me its just a necessary evil (dopamine dreadmill, yadayada), rather than an actual concern of mine, I don't really think about it if you will - hence I can't really consider it a grind myself.
But surely, especially if time is an issue - and it is for most (not getting to play since months myself .-.) - it tends to be infurating.

A compromise could be a vendor that trades gear that dropped and that no one needed for Ruin-esque tokens, this way you could turn it into something one could calculate with ~ the most tedious kind of grind is one without foreseeable end.
Abbd.: Alternatively the introduction of an account-bound trait, so you might be drowned in a thousand worthless engi gearpieces but still get <something> out of it, if its just fragments if you send it to your salvager or gear for an alt - that you will probably never even create, but ... still.
Congratulations.

User avatar
DokB
Legacy RR80
Posts: 379

Re: [DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Redeye Set

Post#33 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:17 am

Any chance you might look at the 6pc Bonus procs for Redeye in the future? Specifically corrosion since it only really benefits 3 of the 6 tanks (KotBS/Chosen/SM) and it would be neat if they were more desirable at some point with different effects tailored specifically to each class.

Also the Back piece for Chosen might have an error in the google doc, it has more Corp/Elem resist than the other archetypes?
Zoggof - Black Orc
Doinks - Ironbreaker
Leatherman - Blackguard

User avatar
wargrimnir
Head Game Master
Posts: 5270
Contact:

Re: [DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Redeye Set

Post#34 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:19 am

Perhaps my comment wasn't taken as sarcasm.

Loot will only drop for classes in your party, bosses will drop one piece of the set, and two pieces at a time (similar to Lair Bosses). So a full run through should guarantee 2 helm/shoulder/chest/back pieces. PQ's will drop the boots/gloves from gold bags, and on average a run should yield 4-5 gold bags across the 9 PQ's, more if you're lucky. These are more of the chance encounter, but, the PQ's on a shorter cooldown, and 3 of them guarantee a gold bag, I think people will be able to manage without currency.

It's not like Ruin where 5 pieces drop from 1 bag and you get stuck with the same pieces over and over. Each time someone completes their boot/glove combo, they can opt out of the gold bag, which increases the chances for everyone else.

The elements of chance and luck, and the things Darosh is talking about will still be present, as they are in many systems we've preserved from live. They are, to a degree, necessary. However, the most egregious offenders of grind are being replaced, as needed. However, we also acknowledge, no matter what steps are taken to find the sweet spot, we're going to get people yelling about how much grind there is. Even if they haven't played through the system at all...
Image
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

dansari
Posts: 2386

Re: [DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Redeye Set

Post#35 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:41 am

wargrimnir wrote:Perhaps my comment wasn't taken as sarcasm.

Loot will only drop for classes in your party, bosses will drop one piece of the set, and two pieces at a time (similar to Lair Bosses). So a full run through should guarantee 2 helm/shoulder/chest/back pieces. PQ's will drop the boots/gloves from gold bags, and on average a run should yield 4-5 gold bags across the 9 PQ's, more if you're lucky. These are more of the chance encounter, but, the PQ's on a shorter cooldown, and 3 of them guarantee a gold bag, I think people will be able to manage without currency.

It's not like Ruin where 5 pieces drop from 1 bag and you get stuck with the same pieces over and over. Each time someone completes their boot/glove combo, they can opt out of the gold bag, which increases the chances for everyone else.

The elements of chance and luck, and the things Darosh is talking about will still be present, as they are in many systems we've preserved from live. They are, to a degree, necessary. However, the most egregious offenders of grind are being replaced, as needed. However, we also acknowledge, no matter what steps are taken to find the sweet spot, we're going to get people yelling about how much grind there is. Even if they haven't played through the system at all...
That's really refreshing to hear. Thanks wargrim. I'm really looking forward to the gunbad dungeon, but don't want it to be something we have to grind for. It doesn't sound like it will be a grind (literal two weeks to obtain?)
<Salt Factory>

Dansarann / SW
Dansaram / RP
Dansaren / BW
Dansarii / Eng
Dansari / WH

Dabbart
Posts: 1909

Re: [DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Redeye Set

Post#36 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:05 am

wargrimnir wrote:Perhaps my comment wasn't taken as sarcasm.

Loot will only drop for classes in your party, bosses will drop one piece of the set, and two pieces at a time (similar to Lair Bosses). So a full run through should guarantee 2 helm/shoulder/chest/back pieces. PQ's will drop the boots/gloves from gold bags, and on average a run should yield 4-5 gold bags across the 9 PQ's, more if you're lucky. These are more of the chance encounter, but, the PQ's on a shorter cooldown, and 3 of them guarantee a gold bag, I think people will be able to manage without currency.

It's not like Ruin where 5 pieces drop from 1 bag and you get stuck with the same pieces over and over. Each time someone completes their boot/glove combo, they can opt out of the gold bag, which increases the chances for everyone else.

The elements of chance and luck, and the things Darosh is talking about will still be present, as they are in many systems we've preserved from live. They are, to a degree, necessary. However, the most egregious offenders of grind are being replaced, as needed. However, we also acknowledge, no matter what steps are taken to find the sweet spot, we're going to get people yelling about how much grind there is. Even if they haven't played through the system at all...

Sounds awesome. I am looking forward to running Gunbad again.

Thanks again for all the work! #2MoreWeeks!

mogt
Legacy RR80
Posts: 338

Re: [DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Redeye Set

Post#37 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:15 am

can enter 6 man the gunbad or all players can go in for doing the pqs there? then we must hope the 6 man group, winning a bag?

User avatar
wargrimnir
Head Game Master
Posts: 5270
Contact:

Re: [DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Redeye Set

Post#38 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:51 am

mogt wrote:can enter 6 man the gunbad or all players can go in for doing the pqs there? then we must hope the 6 man group, winning a bag?
I believe the intent is for it to be a 6-man dungeon throughout.
Image
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
User avatar
Natherul
Lead Developer
Posts: 2631
Contact:

Re: [DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Redeye Set

Post#39 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 am

^
Correct
Lead dev does not mean I´m the best coder around, it just means I have taken on a management role for the devs.
Join the Unofficial IRC
Idrinth´s addon database and client

User avatar
Hargrim
Developer
Posts: 2209

Re: [DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Redeye Set

Post#40 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 am

And why this is good idea you will see when we release Onslaught as open for all free for all PQs :).
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests