Recent Topics

Ads

Fortress Lords and their mechanics

Talk about the development of the emulator and related services.
Check out new and upcoming features to be implemented onto the server.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Onemantankwall

Re: Fortress Lords and their mechanics

Post#21 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:35 am

Toonman wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:03 am
Onemantankwall wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:11 am but to say that "funneling is a major part of rvr" is laughable
It is though, 1000%. That's not debatable. Funneling is major part of rvr and has been since 2008. Doesn't matter if it's what Mythic intended or not. What Mythic intended, at this point in time, is irrelevant.
But to defend the funnel is to defend the stopping of change. Besides being destructions main god change will lead to good and bad ideas leading up to an enhanced gameplay. To limit the evolution of rvr mechanics is to limit the entire progress of the game. siege towers and orclobbas may end up being a bad thing sure but we would be able to say hey the team put it out and we tested it. With sticking to "no cause of ma funnels" it puts a real limiting factor on future rvr updates. It's obvious that we all want to see the best rvr this game can put out but we can't let things hold us back from trying new things.

I remember Nath saying 1 day that he would love to test new mechanics with forts and keeps but was afriad they'd suck. After alil support he added in teleport scrolls to jail which are awesome things that get you back into the fight and no one zerged him for it. DUDE WE 100% BACK YOU UP!!!!! We are here to test anything you put out don't be afraid to go sky's the limit.

Hows the saying go? "War is ever changing!"
Lots of alts, more alts for the alt gods!

Ads
Ototo

Post#22 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:39 am

Onemantankwall wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:11 am
Spoiler:
Natherul wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:46 am
wonshot wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:08 am Thanks for Sharing Nat. I personally had alot of fun trying to find, spot and find counters to the different fortress lord mechanics and would like to credit you for the lore/roleplay/thematical touch you have added to the lords.

It might not be an overly exciting mechanic to fight when you first notice that the only players on the Orc's aggro table are dwarfs and it just made sence in a logical way, so props for your work with this very unforgiving aspect of RvR!

That being said I would hope some of the other constant ongoing projects that have been started would be followed through, as closely as Forts have been. Like the 24aoe cap "test". Still plenty of issues with this and it hasnt been touched yet since it got shipped, and it has some direct attactments to funnels and Forts in particular.

That being said, I think alot of the community would be very excited to see Seigetowers added to release some presure on the funnel situations and create epic gaming moments. It doesnt HAVE to be payload sorta pushing mechanics, but adding some counterplay to stopping or stalling a siegetower by killing the NPCs pushing or pulling it forward would add something extra for sure. Heck you could even have explosive barrles for the defenders to try and sabotage the siegetower camp outside of the outer wall, for them to have a minigame and a role in largescale.
while on first thought siege towers and orcpults sounds fun it would not be something I want to add in directly. The issue being that both it takes away from funnels which is a major part of RVR and tanks job in RVR but also that it only rrealisticly moves the funnel to another spot (the lord room). I am working on the issue of too many defenders for fort and the lord room defense but either way these topics are offtopic.
omfg this comment almost brought me to tears!!! The only ones who care about the funnels are bw/engies (hince its all orders really full of) everyone else hates them especially tanks! Notice a lack of tanks but no lack of funnels? Yea its because tanks dont want to do them. Saying that funnels are a MAJOR part of rvr is a huge laugh when mythics orginial rvr system allowed for entire keep walls to be destroyed. EA didn't give them time for such mechanics in their 2nd rvr game so they produced rat ogres to throw people on walls and flying travel to land on walls. The only one who loves the 1 button aoe funnels of death is the lead dev which is cool because you're part of the server team but to say that "funneling is a major part of rvr" is laughable. Mythic hated funnels so bad they completely scrapped forts because they didn't have the time to produce funnel breakers for them. I've stuck around Mythic's mmos for over 12 years and never has funnels been priority in either of their mmos.
Sure. Destro never funnel. At all. What happens is that if the Choppas leave the walls, the walls will crumble. They just happen to press AoE skills cause they are bored, and kill anyone entering the door out of pure mistake... and let's not forget the poor Sorcs, trying to make fireworks so the choppas don't bore, and sadly killing people... when these tragedies are gonna end!?! When!?!
Spoiler:

Onemantankwall

Post#23 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:29 am

Ototo wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:39 am
Spoiler:
Natherul wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:46 am

while on first thought siege towers and orcpults sounds fun it would not be something I want to add in directly. The issue being that both it takes away from funnels which is a major part of RVR and tanks job in RVR but also that it only rrealisticly moves the funnel to another spot (the lord room). I am working on the issue of too many defenders for fort and the lord room defense but either way these topics are offtopic.
omfg this comment almost brought me to tears!!! The only ones who care about the funnels are bw/engies (hince its all orders really full of) everyone else hates them especially tanks! Notice a lack of tanks but no lack of funnels? Yea its because tanks dont want to do them. Saying that funnels are a MAJOR part of rvr is a huge laugh when mythics orginial rvr system allowed for entire keep walls to be destroyed. EA didn't give them time for such mechanics in their 2nd rvr game so they produced rat ogres to throw people on walls and flying travel to land on walls. The only one who loves the 1 button aoe funnels of death is the lead dev which is cool because you're part of the server team but to say that "funneling is a major part of rvr" is laughable. Mythic hated funnels so bad they completely scrapped forts because they didn't have the time to produce funnel breakers for them. I've stuck around Mythic's mmos for over 12 years and never has funnels been priority in either of their mmos.
Sure. Destro never funnel. At all. What happens is that if the Choppas leave the walls, the walls will crumble. They just happen to press AoE skills cause they are bored, and kill anyone entering the door out of pure mistake... and let's not forget the poor Sorcs, trying to make fireworks so the choppas don't bore, and sadly killing people... when these tragedies are gonna end!?! When!?!
Nice bias goggles buddy now take them off...

The whole point is Nath shouldn't be afraid of stepping away from funnels. Worse that can happen is he'll have to revert something. But progress is progress.
Lots of alts, more alts for the alt gods!

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#24 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:17 am

Well I enjoy funnels for one oneman, as long as there is not too many players as then the critical mass of AOE is reached. And to be fair even if I did not like funnels they are a major part of the game because of collision that the game use and keep doors, fortress doors, tunnelways in city seige and so on. And thats not even discussing the point as I mentioned that all a siege tower or orcapult will accomplish is to move any funnels from bottom (which it already has in forts) to the lord room. So it would not do anything to stop a funnel, just move it.

Regardless this is not on topic so the discussion does not belong here.

Ototo

Post#25 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Long rant, sorry.
Spoiler:
Onemantankwall wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:29 am
Spoiler:
Ototo wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:39 am

Nice bias goggles buddy now take them off...

The whole point is Nath shouldn't be afraid of stepping away from funnels. Worse that can happen is he'll have to revert something. But progress is progress.
If I'm being sarcastic, which I often am, it's cause:

a) People detour completely from the thread subject to pursue their own agendas

b) People are completely biased, and in this part the forum is 80% destro, so I normally have to call bs in order favor. I would have called the same bs if you have told that only destro funnel, in example, cause, you know, I play both sides and I have only hard feelings for the game itself, not for any particular realm, and both realms are 100% the same in strategies, no freaking difference from what I do in destro and in order.

c) People randomly insulting me instead of my arguments, which in this forum seems to be the norm. I will always defend myself, unless that you break the rules in which case I will report you.

d) Elitism, by the very few hardcore or self-entitled, aimed to hurt or put in disadvantage to casual players, which are the vast majority of the player-base. Like if democracy was a bad thing.

I'm a normal guy with normal exceptions and a normal play style. I don't think that I'm above anyone, like a person naming a guild "Learn to Play" probably think he is, and definitely I don't think that I'm above the dev team or that I know more than them.

If I have something to say other than thanks, I speak from my own experience and do kind suggestions, and definitely not call upon the wrath if the dev team, in which I trust, has a different opinion than mine. It's their call, it's their right, and it's their passion. I trust them with the same passion they put to this game.

To end this and don't come here again, just next time don't casually say "nerf order", like in every freaking comment of yours, and sabotage a thread cause you dislike Natherul's opinion. This thread is for Lord mechanics, not for Onemantankwall opinion about how bad and poorly Nath had implemented Forts, and how awesome would be the game if Oneman was in charge, and blahblahblah. Make a thread.

If you can do better "Learn to Code", otherwise make a suggestion that is not just 'I dislike your opinion cause that's not my favourite play style and then you have no idea of the game, dev team'.

Unlike most of you I don't pretend to know more or be better than the dev team.
Spoiler:

Klozje

Post#26 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:09 pm

So to sum it up: there are only 2 forts that people will want to attack now, Chaos and High Elf. GG WP

Ravai

Post#27 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:22 pm

Its truly sad and a great shame for the server if you think funnels are a huge part of rvr, I hope your opinion changes on this because its the biggest buzzkill right now.
Gitrate - Rysto - Nuclearpotato - Tato - Billsmith - Avgor - Svarz - Svz - Dug - Mrglass - Ravz - Ripgor

navis

Post#28 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:24 pm

Nice new mechanics!

While I really like the new one my feedback with the recent forts is that we went from one balance extreme to another. The defenders' disadvantage of size makes stage 2 unrealistically difficult and stage three ... (see more below)

I think it might be better to try and have equal numbers and less reliance on funnel points, plus it would be more fun.

thanks

Ads
Vanmeldebrecht

Post#29 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:36 pm

Dwarf/orc forts now super funnel heavy.
Last edited by Vanmeldebrecht on Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sithras

Post#30 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:40 pm

synthrocker wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:22 pm
Sithras wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:14 pm The keg mechanic is not a good idea: Order need to def a room with only 1 tight enter to win Fort.
Destro has the same thing in green skin....

Also, it’s easier for destro to get up the ramps with chopppas and their pulls. I was pulled 5 times through a pillar and floor last stonewatch..... it’s infuriating.

Yes...I get order also has pulls. But nothing as strong as the sea of choppas on the ramp pushing get to da choppa every cool down in the fort. Multiple people pulled from top floor to bottom though floors.

Not true
In green skin the lord spawn a effigy on the floor in the lord room, so destro have to def Lord, in a room with 2 door entrance, they cannot just go up and ignore him.
In the Dwarf one destro has to go up on a single tight stair, where order can farm easly., order dont care about Lord, just def Keg and they won..
1 Month ago Devs add the possibilty for a WB to pass from postern, because the def was too easy, and now they have create a Fort with only 1 way to go in... This is total sensless