Recent Topics

Ads

Regarding Global Cooldowns

Talk about the development of the emulator and related services.
Check out new and upcoming features to be implemented onto the server.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Emissary
Community Management

Re: Regarding Global Cooldowns

Post#31 » Mon May 23, 2022 5:58 pm

I want to say thank you to everyone of you for keeping this game alive.

The AP thing sucks but I am sure within a few weeks it will be fixed, so no stress there.

I am just looking forward to the day when Sequencer has more bells and whistles and my Apothecary around dyes isn't broken. I have lost my ability to make my gold dyes and that makes this guy really sad.

Fashionhammer is true Endgame

Thank you all for your volunteer service !!!
Last edited by Emissary on Mon May 23, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Courage, Honor, Loyalty, Sacrifice. You're braver than you think."

Watch me on Twitch!!!

Ads
Praywithme

Post#32 » Mon May 23, 2022 6:09 pm

Just came back from a long break and couldn't tell the difference to be honest. Good luck and we appreciate you guys.

penpenagos

Post#33 » Mon May 23, 2022 6:12 pm

It's not worth reading the comments, most of them are from people who are stuck and used to playing in a permanent abuse of mechanics.

thank you very much max and the team!!!

Ekundu01

Post#34 » Mon May 23, 2022 6:39 pm

This statement seems to be like a half **** attempt to save face for pushing stuff that wasn't ready to go.

The question is why was the GCD change needed to be pushed through now when clearly it wasn't tested breaking a bunch of stuff in the process for the live server. There is a test server but you don't use it and instead compromise the server population by pissing off a bunch of players with changes out of left field.

If changing the GCD helps with future changes to come at a later date why push it live now when you don't have any of those changes ready to benefit from the GCD change? You could have used the test server to fully flesh this out instead of pushing this to the live server and getting all this push back and then giving us this vague post about why this change was needed but still don't give us a concrete changes to come that are going to work with this change.

If you even had anything fleshed out to go along with the GCD change it might not have been so negatively received. If you even gave some sort of roadmap with what to expect with no time lines at least it would be better than what you gave us now. So we could know ok this change is going to work with xyz so we have an idea of what direction this change is going in. Because right now it seems like you guys are just doing random changes just because you can and the population suffers for it.
Trismack

havartii

Post#35 » Mon May 23, 2022 6:42 pm

It can't be easy sometimes, but I am glad Max has the keys to the server. Thanks for all you do!
Order: 70 AM / 76 RP/ 72 Knight/ 58 WH
Destro: 82 Sham / 79 Zealot/ 70 DoK /70 Magus /68 Mara
Many alts on both sides now ruined by new currency change

yuaa2

Post#36 » Mon May 23, 2022 6:44 pm

MaxHayman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:00 pm Is it possible to change the GCD/what would be necessary in order to do so properly?

It is a giant can of worms to do it properly when you start thinking about it. We can scale the stat & weapon multipliers to match a different global cooldown duration. But if you scale stat multiplier down, should you also scale base damage down to match/be same portion of the damage? What about cooldowns, if cooldown was equal to 10 global cooldowns before, should it also be scaled down? What about dot/hot tick rates, usually they are 2 global cooldown durations, should they tick faster? What about buff durations, if a buff lasted 10 global cooldowns, should that also scale down? If dot tick rates are scaled to match the global cooldown, you have to adjust buff durations as many are coupled with dots. Then what about cost, should that also scale down? Doing less for the same cost doesn't really make sense.

All of these things really need to be thought about and a proper decision taken before doing that.
We would maybe have chosen a different GCD duration if we designed the game from scratch, but it would be a massive rework of abilities to change it currently.
No need to design game from scratch. We play with 1.1 GCD some years and ability system was ok. Just make 1.1 GCD with your new system and start slowly rework what need to be reworked.

Sulorie

Post#37 » Mon May 23, 2022 7:17 pm

yuaa2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:44 pm
No need to design game from scratch. We play with 1.1 GCD some years and ability system was ok. Just make 1.1 GCD with your new system and start slowly rework what need to be reworked.
It wasn't OK if you care to read it properly, even if you don't notice it as a player.
We now have a "new system and start slowly rework what need to be reworked." :^)
Dying is no option.

Spellbound

Post#38 » Mon May 23, 2022 7:21 pm

Akalukz wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:53 pm I think if the GCD would have been the only thing, no one would have complained more than a day or so. But put with the AP change and well here ya go.
Yes, those are one of several things that will ultimately be addressed they can't discuss openly but does have their attention.

Ads
Kenshiken

Post#39 » Mon May 23, 2022 7:33 pm

Akalukz wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:53 pm I think if the GCD would have been the only thing, no one would have complained more than a day or so. But put with the AP change and well here ya go.
Absolutely not.

I am still refuse to believe that most of the players here are casual Gamer dads that don't have a feel to the flow of the gameplay that was completely changed. Let me not even start on the class balance and other broken stuff.
Before change - pressing skills at right time was a GREAT feeling, it felt great! you were in the fast and fluid flow. You was in control about how you want to spend you're AP - fast, or slow. (1.1 gcd or 1.5 gcd)
Right now - it's a boring standardised snooze fest, with "stand-by" in between casts, and overall absolutely clunky feeling to the input.

So we got this broken change that would be great in the different dev branch for some months (or more) so that we MAYBE going to get fixes to abilities faster from now on?
But what about class balance? All balance was done for 1.1-1.3GCD and old AP formula.
How much more time would be needed to fix and adjust that?
etc. etc. etc. etc.

But I understand that 70% of the people in the POOL about reverting it is nothing and there is absolutely no other way of doing things than this way. (yes, of course)
As a developer myself I seen enough times what a single person in charge can done to the project if there is none experienced to argue with him that can verify changes and done harsh quality control.
So the only message we got is - quit it, if you don't like it. And that's absolutely fair.
Last edited by Kenshiken on Mon May 23, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GamesBond
Former Staff

Post#40 » Mon May 23, 2022 7:56 pm

It's also good to note that the upcoming patch will envelop the below boost for AP:

New "Battlefield Master" and "Advanced Battlefield Master" buffs, which were originally on Live. These buffs give +25 AP pool each and will be active for all characters at CR40 RR50 & CR40 RR60.

Also, future patch notes will always be reviewed by the Community Management team before going live in order to ensure proper communication and transparent explanations. I ask you from now to give us feedback if there are still gaps in patch notes and we will make sure to dig into more details when needed/feasible.