Recent Topics

Ads

Just found out about Return of Reckoning and have a few questions.

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

User avatar
Bullvinne
Posts: 7

Just found out about Return of Reckoning and have a few questions.

Post#1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:05 pm

I never thought I would see Warhammer Online again in my life! This is cool that this has been running for quite a while now, I just didn't know about it. I would love to dive into the game again but have a few questions before I risk getting addicted again lol.

1.a - How is the class balance on this server/emulator? Is it the same as it was when the game went down, or do they actively balance classes and fix bugs? I just ask because I remember a lot of class imbalance issues even up to the point when the game shut down. I remember some classes (Bright Wizard for example) being much better then its "Mirror". And there were many examples of this.

1.b - If there is little-to-no class balancing that happens, is there a list/guide somewhere on what classes are decent/playable vs which ones are broken/not working?

2 - I'm guessing there is no additional content that gets added to the game, correct? AKA: just what was in there during live? I'm ok with this since the primary focus of the game is about RvR player content. Just wondering is all.

3 - I've read/heard somewhere (I think it might be a YouTube video) that EA is ok with this private server as long as no money is charge/changes hands. Is this correct? I would hate to get attached to the game again and have the server shut down due to EA suing, etc.

4 - How stable/solid is the in-game experience/server stability? Are there often crashes or anything like that, or is it pretty solid since today's technology is leaps and bounds better than 2008-2015 when the live game was going?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I just don't want to get attached again before I get my head wrapped around a few things lol.

EDIT: I forgot to ask one last question. How large is the game install? I didn't find that information anywhere and I don't have a ton of space (about 160gb) and want to make sure I have enough before downloading/installing. I do plan on getting a larger HD, but that wont be for a month or two.

Ads
User avatar
Haskr
Posts: 361

Re: Just found out about Return of Reckoning and have a few questions.

Post#2 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:19 pm

Hi and welcome back!

1. a: The balance is kind of ok-ish, its also the question of whats the developers fault and whats the players. Order for example has a lot of rdps and few tanks = almost no frontline, so if you play melee on order you will have a bit of a hard time, now whose fault is that? :=)

1. b: There is balancing happening, but there is no eta or stuff like that, also its a lot of testing so changes may get reverted on the run.

2. I think the focus is on bringing the content back that live had, they added tier2,3,4 so far, forts were added some time ago and city sieges have been tested on the live server and are not far away from being released (weeks? few months?) after that land of the dead I guess. They added a bit new content in giving warrior priests/dok a shield melee spec for melee healing and squig herder a melee spec, all with total new skills and such.

3. Don't know about EA but its right that the owners of return of reckoning don't take any donations. I think Yaliskah is the server owner and pays the server in France (?) from his own pockets. I could imagine EA sending Jesus Christ a cease and desist letter if they could make five bucks of it but who knows.
However, its an Alpha Server of a long dead game, so it can shutdown any time, I would always keep that in mind. Its up and running for 4 years plus now and I think there are some more to come though.

4. Would say its pretty stable, if you use the 64bit client. Some lags may happen, if its ultra zergie (350+ players in a zone) it can become a bit unplayable sometimes, sometimes new code gets tested on the server and stuff but overall its quite ok, I don't had that much crashes, maybe like twice a week or so, but of course it can happen. I heard that NA players have a bit of a hard time sometimes but im from EU so I can't speak about that.

User avatar
Bullvinne
Posts: 7

Re: Just found out about Return of Reckoning and have a few questions.

Post#3 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:05 am

Haskr wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:19 pm
Hi and welcome back!

1. a: The balance is kind of ok-ish, its also the question of whats the developers fault and whats the players. Order for example has a lot of rdps and few tanks = almost no frontline, so if you play melee on order you will have a bit of a hard time, now whose fault is that? :=)

1. b: There is balancing happening, but there is no eta or stuff like that, also its a lot of testing so changes may get reverted on the run.

2. I think the focus is on bringing the content back that live had, they added tier2,3,4 so far, forts were added some time ago and city sieges have been tested on the live server and are not far away from being released (weeks? few months?) after that land of the dead I guess. They added a bit new content in giving warrior priests/dok a shield melee spec for melee healing and squig herder a melee spec, all with total new skills and such.

3. Don't know about EA but its right that the owners of return of reckoning don't take any donations. I think Yaliskah is the server owner and pays the server in France (?) from his own pockets. I could imagine EA sending Jesus Christ a cease and desist letter if they could make five bucks of it but who knows.
However, its an Alpha Server of a long dead game, so it can shutdown any time, I would always keep that in mind. Its up and running for 4 years plus now and I think there are some more to come though.

4. Would say its pretty stable, if you use the 64bit client. Some lags may happen, if its ultra zergie (350+ players in a zone) it can become a bit unplayable sometimes, sometimes new code gets tested on the server and stuff but overall its quite ok, I don't had that much crashes, maybe like twice a week or so, but of course it can happen. I heard that NA players have a bit of a hard time sometimes but im from EU so I can't speak about that.


Thanks, Haskr for the reply! I think that is awesome that they have been even adding to the game like the WP/DOK/Squig Hearder spec additions, etc. And I completely understand that some things are player-based when it comes to balancing, but its great to hear they do try to balance when they can.

I have a few more questions for you then.

1 - Do you know how large the game client is? im trying to gauge if I have enough room on my HD for RoR

2 - what is the current state of the Squig Herder and Magus? Those were my two favorite classes from back in the day and would love to re-start them if they are in a good place.

User avatar
wargrimnir
Head Game Master
Posts: 5709
Contact:

Re: Just found out about Return of Reckoning and have a few questions.

Post#4 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:13 am

Bullvinne wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:05 am
Haskr wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:19 pm
Hi and welcome back!

1. a: The balance is kind of ok-ish, its also the question of whats the developers fault and whats the players. Order for example has a lot of rdps and few tanks = almost no frontline, so if you play melee on order you will have a bit of a hard time, now whose fault is that? :=)

1. b: There is balancing happening, but there is no eta or stuff like that, also its a lot of testing so changes may get reverted on the run.

2. I think the focus is on bringing the content back that live had, they added tier2,3,4 so far, forts were added some time ago and city sieges have been tested on the live server and are not far away from being released (weeks? few months?) after that land of the dead I guess. They added a bit new content in giving warrior priests/dok a shield melee spec for melee healing and squig herder a melee spec, all with total new skills and such.

3. Don't know about EA but its right that the owners of return of reckoning don't take any donations. I think Yaliskah is the server owner and pays the server in France (?) from his own pockets. I could imagine EA sending Jesus Christ a cease and desist letter if they could make five bucks of it but who knows.
However, its an Alpha Server of a long dead game, so it can shutdown any time, I would always keep that in mind. Its up and running for 4 years plus now and I think there are some more to come though.

4. Would say its pretty stable, if you use the 64bit client. Some lags may happen, if its ultra zergie (350+ players in a zone) it can become a bit unplayable sometimes, sometimes new code gets tested on the server and stuff but overall its quite ok, I don't had that much crashes, maybe like twice a week or so, but of course it can happen. I heard that NA players have a bit of a hard time sometimes but im from EU so I can't speak about that.


Thanks, Haskr for the reply! I think that is awesome that they have been even adding to the game like the WP/DOK/Squig Hearder spec additions, etc. And I completely understand that some things are player-based when it comes to balancing, but its great to hear they do try to balance when they can.

I have a few more questions for you then.

1 - Do you know how large the game client is? im trying to gauge if I have enough room on my HD for RoR

2 - what is the current state of the Squig Herder and Magus? Those were my two favorite classes from back in the day and would love to re-start them if they are in a good place.
1 - My entire Warhammer folder is a little under 20GB, that's probably a bit more than most due to some dev stuff I have along with it.
2 - Squig has a good melee spec, and the ranged specs are lacking due to how physical damage falls off late game. It's on the board for some tweaks. Magus is a solid class with good specs across the board for a ranged magic caster.
Image
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

User avatar
Bullvinne
Posts: 7

Re: Just found out about Return of Reckoning and have a few questions.

Post#5 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:17 am

wargrimnir wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:13 am
Bullvinne wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:05 am
Haskr wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:19 pm
Hi and welcome back!

1. a: The balance is kind of ok-ish, its also the question of whats the developers fault and whats the players. Order for example has a lot of rdps and few tanks = almost no frontline, so if you play melee on order you will have a bit of a hard time, now whose fault is that? :=)

1. b: There is balancing happening, but there is no eta or stuff like that, also its a lot of testing so changes may get reverted on the run.

2. I think the focus is on bringing the content back that live had, they added tier2,3,4 so far, forts were added some time ago and city sieges have been tested on the live server and are not far away from being released (weeks? few months?) after that land of the dead I guess. They added a bit new content in giving warrior priests/dok a shield melee spec for melee healing and squig herder a melee spec, all with total new skills and such.

3. Don't know about EA but its right that the owners of return of reckoning don't take any donations. I think Yaliskah is the server owner and pays the server in France (?) from his own pockets. I could imagine EA sending Jesus Christ a cease and desist letter if they could make five bucks of it but who knows.
However, its an Alpha Server of a long dead game, so it can shutdown any time, I would always keep that in mind. Its up and running for 4 years plus now and I think there are some more to come though.

4. Would say its pretty stable, if you use the 64bit client. Some lags may happen, if its ultra zergie (350+ players in a zone) it can become a bit unplayable sometimes, sometimes new code gets tested on the server and stuff but overall its quite ok, I don't had that much crashes, maybe like twice a week or so, but of course it can happen. I heard that NA players have a bit of a hard time sometimes but im from EU so I can't speak about that.


Thanks, Haskr for the reply! I think that is awesome that they have been even adding to the game like the WP/DOK/Squig Hearder spec additions, etc. And I completely understand that some things are player-based when it comes to balancing, but its great to hear they do try to balance when they can.

I have a few more questions for you then.

1 - Do you know how large the game client is? im trying to gauge if I have enough room on my HD for RoR

2 - what is the current state of the Squig Herder and Magus? Those were my two favorite classes from back in the day and would love to re-start them if they are in a good place.
1 - My entire Warhammer folder is a little under 20GB, that's probably a bit more than most due to some dev stuff I have along with it.
2 - Squig has a good melee spec, and the ranged specs are lacking due to how physical damage falls off late game. It's on the board for some tweaks. Magus is a solid class with good specs across the board for a ranged magic caster.
Thanks for the quick reply! 20gb... thats so small compared to other games today lol. ESO is like 80gb! Thanks again

User avatar
Haskr
Posts: 361

Re: Just found out about Return of Reckoning and have a few questions.

Post#6 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:54 am

When you download the game make sure to use the torrent download.
Technically you could download the game using the launcher but it would take forever even with a fast connection.
When you downloaded it, right-click the folder to disable read only or you will get an error notice, and then run the updater and it should download the launcher.
The launcher then loads some missing files (takes like 10 minutes max), after that you can start the game.
Close the game again, close the launcher, open the launcher again (lol) and it will load some missing files and after that you are good to go and can play (this time for real :) ).
I would advise to download a UI pack like VinyUI as the vanilla interface lacks some addons and stuff.

Also if you plan to reroll Magus there was someone asking about spec choices a while ago, maybe it helps: New Magus need help!

And remember: dead game, alpha server, so might be a little bit of work to get it all running.
I can set up my game in 10 minutes, but just because I know what to do, I think some new players might already quit by trying to download/start the game, it's not like Steam or such xD

User avatar
Bullvinne
Posts: 7

Re: Just found out about Return of Reckoning and have a few questions.

Post#7 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:16 am

wargrimnir wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:13 am
Bullvinne wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:05 am
Haskr wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:19 pm
Hi and welcome back!

1. a: The balance is kind of ok-ish, its also the question of whats the developers fault and whats the players. Order for example has a lot of rdps and few tanks = almost no frontline, so if you play melee on order you will have a bit of a hard time, now whose fault is that? :=)

1. b: There is balancing happening, but there is no eta or stuff like that, also its a lot of testing so changes may get reverted on the run.

2. I think the focus is on bringing the content back that live had, they added tier2,3,4 so far, forts were added some time ago and city sieges have been tested on the live server and are not far away from being released (weeks? few months?) after that land of the dead I guess. They added a bit new content in giving warrior priests/dok a shield melee spec for melee healing and squig herder a melee spec, all with total new skills and such.

3. Don't know about EA but its right that the owners of return of reckoning don't take any donations. I think Yaliskah is the server owner and pays the server in France (?) from his own pockets. I could imagine EA sending Jesus Christ a cease and desist letter if they could make five bucks of it but who knows.
However, its an Alpha Server of a long dead game, so it can shutdown any time, I would always keep that in mind. Its up and running for 4 years plus now and I think there are some more to come though.

4. Would say its pretty stable, if you use the 64bit client. Some lags may happen, if its ultra zergie (350+ players in a zone) it can become a bit unplayable sometimes, sometimes new code gets tested on the server and stuff but overall its quite ok, I don't had that much crashes, maybe like twice a week or so, but of course it can happen. I heard that NA players have a bit of a hard time sometimes but im from EU so I can't speak about that.


Thanks, Haskr for the reply! I think that is awesome that they have been even adding to the game like the WP/DOK/Squig Hearder spec additions, etc. And I completely understand that some things are player-based when it comes to balancing, but its great to hear they do try to balance when they can.

I have a few more questions for you then.

1 - Do you know how large the game client is? im trying to gauge if I have enough room on my HD for RoR

2 - what is the current state of the Squig Herder and Magus? Those were my two favorite classes from back in the day and would love to re-start them if they are in a good place.
1 - My entire Warhammer folder is a little under 20GB, that's probably a bit more than most due to some dev stuff I have along with it.
2 - Squig has a good melee spec, and the ranged specs are lacking due to how physical damage falls off late game. It's on the board for some tweaks. Magus is a solid class with good specs across the board for a ranged magic caster.
@Wargrimnir, quick question, after I install the game client using a Torrent application, do I need to keep the Torrent application for anything else, or can I uninstall it? im guessing the Launcher does the rest?

User avatar
Haskr
Posts: 361

Re: Just found out about Return of Reckoning and have a few questions.

Post#8 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:21 am

No you can deinstall the torrent programm after you downloaded the game files if you want, it's not needed anymore!

Ads
User avatar
Bullvinne
Posts: 7

Re: Just found out about Return of Reckoning and have a few questions.

Post#9 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:25 am

Haskr wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:21 am
No you can deinstall the torrent programm after you downloaded the game files if you want, it's not needed anymore!
Thanks!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests