Recent Topics

Ads

ORvR class choice for new player in current state of the game

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
Rekoom

ORvR class choice for new player in current state of the game

Post#1 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:39 am

Hi guys, returning player here!

Love the changes on my WE, the possibility to AOE now is really interesting.

On to the question: I've been playing pug RvR (mainly keep defence) for the past few days and can't help feeling a bit of a liability to my team as a WE (currently lvl 30). I don't mind starting a new toon (T1 is always fun and I've forgotten a lot of mechanics) so was wondering if there was any class I could roll that could actually be of use when I jump into T4 bolstered?

Or should I just press on, play the WE and hope I'll be able to contribute in keeps eventually? Feels like I'd have a bit more fun as a Sorc/Magus/Healer tbh...

Thanks in advance for the advice
Rekoom - 80+ BO

Ads
toffikx

Re: ORvR class choice for new player in current state of the game

Post#2 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:25 am

Tanks and healers are always more needed. Not only in orvr but in every other area of the game too. WE is a nice solo ganking class. Is it a good WB class? Wouldn’t say so. It works fine in small scale (2-6) though.
Last edited by toffikx on Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rekoom

Post#3 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:55 am

I understand healers but I actually thought Destruction had quite a bit of tanks, looking at the wb I've been in... Interesting, thanks for the reply!
Rekoom - 80+ BO

zak68

Post#4 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:41 pm

what about a marauder ? i think it could be very fun in smallscale and also in wb.

Tanski

Post#5 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:49 pm

All of the classes have a role in orvr. Typically, the classes that are more support orientated do better in warbands and those that do not require support are obviously better solo and in small group play. If you are interested in warband play, any of the healers will work, any of the tanks will work but do note that 2h BG are taken in warbands for crimson death. As far as dps goes, sorc or choppa are the primary means of dps in premade warbands. Magus are also taken for their rift ability. Obviously, you will always find a spot in pug warbands but those are the classes that premades tend to run with.
75+ BG
80 Choppa/slyer
80 wl
70 + sm
70 bw/sorc
80 wh, we
60 sham/am

Gottschalt

Post#6 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:16 am

WE and WHs can still be rather deadly even in large scale battles. It's just that the importance of single target nuking gets less important the more people there is (After all, no real use taking out that healer when there's 12 more present) or when fights turn into Wall meets a Wall (Like fort and keeps).

Then again, they do fill a niche in very specific maneuvers, such as flanking when that option becomes available. Well planned target picking with spread enough ST nuking supported by AoE melts faces. But yeah, if you want to feel useful all the time, healer, RPDS, non-stealth MDPS or tank with a shield

OndeTv

Post#7 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:28 pm

A good WE (or WH) can also be invaluable for a roaming WB provided that both the WE and the WB leader know how to communicate (voice coms especially) for relaying information on enemy WBs.

In keep sieges, a good teamwork between a WE (or one or more mdps) and healers also help bring both outer and inner oil down faster. This requires good positioning from the WE (or mdps) as to be in line of sight for healing when needed, and healers that are aware of this being a goal. It is easier for a WE (or WH) to get there due to stealth than other mdps. Good WE/WH communication about positioning is very beneficial, as to provide group healing support (aka healing through walls without LoS) when LoS is not an option.

That being said, you should play the class you have the most fun with, because in most cases that will also be the class you play the best.
~~~~~~~~ OndeTv, Sorceress, <The Art of War> ~~~~~~~~
~~ Onds, choppa ~~ Ondarm, marauder ~~ Helligonden, zealot ~~
~~~~~~~~~~ and many more destro characters ~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~ Proud member of Nagarythe Corps in the old days ~~~~~

carlos

Post#8 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:40 pm

OndeTv wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:28 pm A good WE (or WH) can also be invaluable for a roaming WB provided that both the WE and the WB leader know how to communicate (voice coms especially) for relaying information on enemy WBs.

In keep sieges, a good teamwork between a WE (or one or more mdps) and healers also help bring both outer and inner oil down faster. This requires good positioning from the WE (or mdps) as to be in line of sight for healing when needed, and healers that are aware of this being a goal. It is easier for a WE (or WH) to get there due to stealth than other mdps. Good WE/WH communication about positioning is very beneficial, as to provide group healing support (aka healing through walls without LoS) when LoS is not an option.

That being said, you should play the class you have the most fun with, because in most cases that will also be the class you play the best.
I agree with all of this.
Starfkr

Ads
Gottschalt

Post#9 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:14 pm

Ayup, after all.. It's not the class that makes a WB fearsome, it's how well WB acts as an unit. A good WB/Realm leader always has an use for good WH/WE

Anthr

Post#10 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:04 am

To actually learn the game start with a healer. The natural position at the back of a warband will allow you to see most of the fight in front of you and you can get used to the natural ebb and flow of the game. Mechanically a healer isn't too difficult and you won't be under bombardment with abilities you don't know like you would as a mdps or tank. You'll also develop other skills like becoming familiar with ranges and the importance of line of sight both to friendlies and hostiles, so when you inevitably roll a melee you won't fight out of l.o.s of your healers. Finally you'll learn how to detaunt and the importance of certain addons and a clean ui to display the information you need.

Then play a tank.

Then play mdps.

Don't ever play rdps.