Recent Topics

Ads

Couple of questions while I wait for download...

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
grimmers

Couple of questions while I wait for download...

Post#1 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:25 pm

Hey! I played WAR during the beta and for a while at launch when it was popular and I tried RoR a while ago but it felt a bit too underpopulated for my liking back then. I'm ready to give it another shot and have a couple of questions before I get started.

First thing's first: I love Dwarves and Greenskins and I love their zones! The main thing that prevented me from getting into RoR back then was that their zones were dead. Has the situation improved now? If I level a Dwarf through Dwarf zones can I do public quests and RvR?

Crafting: Really I never got to max level once on WAR. Is crafting even worth bothering with? Can it make money? Does it make anything otherwise unobtainable from vendors and stuff? Will it reward me with items that I might actually use on my character?

How long does it take to hit level cap and how rewarding is pre-40 alting? I struggle to pick a main on MMOs and recently received the advice to just play a bunch of things that interest me and my main will appear naturally as the one I enjoy playing the most. So that being said, how much can I get a feel for different classes pre-40? I know there's a talent system and you gain abilities as you level like most MMOs so I'm just wondering how long will it take to try out a class before I can give it a fair judgement? I understand in some MMOs certain classes only become fun later in the game (looking at you, TBC WoW Ret Paladin, lvl 50 crusader strike, pfft).

Do I need to pick one faction? I love the aesthetics of human and dwarf classes, but also Greenskins! The problem is I don't know whether I can play both factions on the server or whether I have to pick just one. If there were a faction of Humans, Dwarfs and Greenskins I'd be 1000% totally for it but there's not :(. I wish we could just throw the stinky elves in with the mutants but we don't live in a perfect world.

Any advice you can give a fairly newbie who has played the game but never hit 40 before is also welcome! I'm not looking to minmaxing advice, just general stuff.

Ads
GamesBond
Former Staff

Re: Couple of questions while I wait for download...

Post#2 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:47 am

Hello and welcome, I'll give you answers based on my own opinion.
grimmers wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:25 pm If I level a Dwarf through Dwarf zones can I do public quests and RvR?
You will not run around maps and find dozens of players if these maps do not host RvR action at that moment. Doesn't matter what race, population is heavily centered in active RvR lakes. In order to find where's the action, I highly advise you to download the State of Realm addon.

-
grimmers wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:25 pm Crafting: Really I never got to max level once on WAR. Is crafting even worth bothering with? Can it make money? Does it make anything otherwise unobtainable from vendors and stuff? Will it reward me with items that I might actually use on my character?
Personally I dislike crafting in all games and do not give it attention, so there are players with wider knowledge that might give you a better answer. But it surely is profitable if you follow min-maxing guides; there are armor potions that are constantly demanded in the market as bloody battles are everyday, all day. There are also more profitable crafts but as I mentioned, I'm honestly not familiar in high-end crafting.

-
grimmers wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:25 pm How long does it take to hit level cap
It really depends on how often you participate in RvR and scenarios. But don't rush it and it's always better to keep your renown rank higher than your career rank. Anything between level (aka career rank) 16 and 39 is T2-T3, which queues you versus similar levels. Once you hit lvl40 and you still lack gear (due to low renown rank), you will most likely get destroyed by other players, since it queues you with anyone lvl 40. There are +50% career experience and renown experience gain on every weekend, it's called Weekend Warfront and it varies, make sure you participate in these scenarios on weekends.

-
grimmers wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:25 pm and how rewarding is pre-40 alting? I struggle to pick a main on MMOs and recently received the advice to just play a bunch of things that interest me and my main will appear naturally as the one I enjoy playing the most. So that being said, how much can I get a feel for different classes pre-40?
I think this could have different opinions by imo, pre-40 gives you an idea about your class so if that's what you're seeking only then yes, it does. However, it surely will not show you the potential of that class at pre-40 as it could be misleading with lack of morales, gear, tree and the actual power of your enemies.

-
grimmers wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:25 pm Do I need to pick one faction? I love the aesthetics of human and dwarf classes, but also Greenskins! The problem is I don't know whether I can play both factions on the server or whether I have to pick just one.
You can play both factions on the server, and since you're new, you must understand that others also can play both factions. It's a blade with two edges, you'll enjoy switching factions and playing your favorite races, but you will also experience imbalance at some point due to other players also switching factions. To sum up, factions balance themselves every while and that balance could easily be disrupted for a temporary period of time. Personally, I only play one faction: It was getting dominated many weeks ago, and recently it's dominating.

-
grimmers wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:25 pm Any advice you can give a fairly newbie who has played the game but never hit 40 before is also welcome! I'm not looking to minmaxing advice, just general stuff.
Play the game, enjoy it, keep in mind the original game is long gone and we're left with this gem that's constantly being polished. If you ever have any suggestion or would like to share your feedback, feel free to post on the forums.

I would also like to share with you a post a great member of our community has prepared for new players, it surely will help you a lot: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=40739

grimmers

Re: Couple of questions while I wait for download...

Post#3 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:59 pm

@GamesBond thank you for your detailed reply! Unfortunately I made the rookie error yesterday of downloading windows instead of mac client, and then found out there is no mac client. No matter, I have windows setup on an external hard drive it's just gonna take some messing since I corrupted windows lmao. Looking forward to jumping in. I never knew to keep my renown rank higher than career, and honestly since renown is levelled from PvP activity I think I'm quite ok with that. I always loved jumping into RvR lakes anyway.