Recent Topics

Ads

Returning player needs advice picking a class

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
Phase0ut

Returning player needs advice picking a class

Post#1 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 pm

Hey guys,

so I've been playing Warhammer Online for quite some time during the time it was hosted by EA and now I want to give it another shot since I absolutely loved the game back in the days.

So far I have tried different classes, but I am not really sure to which one I should stick. I like most of them, which makes it really hard for me. Maybe you guys could help me out a little:

1. Which role is more wanted? Tank or Healer?

2. Which tank/healer is currently considered "the best", if there is one "best" at all? Which one should I avoid?

3. Which tank/healer would you recommend if I want to go solo in scenarios most of the time?

4. I've seen destruction win most of the time. Is it always like this here? Does it make any sense to pick order then? Or should I go with destruction?

I dont really mind which faction I pick since I really like the looks and the story of both of them.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Ads
M0rw47h

Re: Returning player needs advice picking a class

Post#2 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:13 pm

Phase0ut wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 pm 1. Which role is more wanted? Tank or Healer?
On Order it's tank, on Destruction its healer (Zealot).
Phase0ut wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 pm 2. Which tank/healer is currently considered "the best", if there is one "best" at all? Which one should I avoid?
Each have their pros and cons. However, I wouldn't recommend Ironbreaker, Blackguard, Archmage or Shaman for beginners.
Phase0ut wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 pm 3. Which tank/healer would you recommend if I want to go solo in scenarios most of the time?
Knight of the Blazing Sun or Chosen in case of tanks, and Warrior Priest or Disciple of Khaine in case of healers.
Phase0ut wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 pm 4. I've seen destruction win most of the time. Is it always like this here? Does it make any sense to pick order then? Or should I go with destruction?
Premades win most of the time, on either side.
Phase0ut wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 pm I dont really mind which faction I pick since I really like the looks and the story of both of them.
I recommend playing both factions to learn pros and cons of both of them.

Bowldancer

Post#3 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:34 pm

I will only speak for the order side of things as I have experience with all six tanks and healer over here.
We lack tanks more than healer but both roles will guarantee you a spot.

You have 4 safe choices :
Knight of the Blazing Sun , Swordmaster, Warrior Priest and Rune Priest.
They are all good in their own way.

The Knight has the best morales, the best cc and passively buffs the whole group. It is the core tank. Some people find him bland to play. I disagree.

The Swordmaster has a very strong and unique ability that reduces the cooldown of abilities, an awesome AoE interrupt and can debuff the damage of the opponents. Easiest class to win the protection contest. I don't like the stance mechanic tho.

The Warrior Priest is the core healer and excels in healing the whole group. A rock in the surf. Probably the easiest healer I have ever played in any MMO. The chill experience.

The Rune Priest is the perfect tandem partner for the Warriorpriest. Ideally you always have both of them in every group. Also the least played class and a dwarf - so extra hot.
Grimmsch Grimnirsson (2H Giantslayer, 40/85)
Spoiler:
40+: 2H-CHOPPA, AM, RP, WP, SM, IB, KotBS, WL, WH, BW, ENG, SW
Alts in T4: SHA, SH, BO, BG, CHO, MAR, WE

Phase0ut

Post#4 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:29 pm

M0rw47h wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:13 pm Each have their pros and cons. However, I wouldn't recommend Ironbreaker, Blackguard, Archmage or Shaman for beginners.
Hm, I kinda liked the Blackguard. Would you just not recommend them because they are not beginner friendly? I got some MMO experience and some Warhammer Online experience in particular, so if the beginner friendlyness is the only issue, then I would give the Blackguard a shot. Or are there any other issues?

M0rw47h wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:13 pm Premades win most of the time, on either side.
So it would be a good idea to find a guild?

Bowldancer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:34 pm We lack tanks more than healer but both roles will guarantee you a spot.
I guess the same applies to destruction?

Bowldancer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:34 pm The Knight has the best morales, the best cc and passively buffs the whole group. It is the core tank. Some people find him bland to play. I disagree.
When you say "bland", you mean boring? What do people find bland about him?

Bowldancer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:34 pm The Swordmaster has a very strong and unique ability that reduces the cooldown of abilities, an awesome AoE interrupt and can debuff the damage of the opponents. Easiest class to win the protection contest. I don't like the stance mechanic tho.
I've read somewhere on this forum that the Swordmaster dies very fast compared to the other tanks. Is that true or is it a matter of skill?

Bowldancer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:34 pm The Rune Priest is the perfect tandem partner for the Warriorpriest. Ideally you always have both of them in every group. Also the least played class and a dwarf - so extra hot.
Why is the Rune Priest so rarely played?

M0rw47h

Post#5 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:42 pm

Phase0ut wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:29 pm
M0rw47h wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:13 pm Each have their pros and cons. However, I wouldn't recommend Ironbreaker, Blackguard, Archmage or Shaman for beginners.
Hm, I kinda liked the Blackguard. Would you just not recommend them because they are not beginner friendly? I got some MMO experience and some Warhammer Online experience in particular, so if the beginner friendlyness is the only issue, then I would give the Blackguard a shot. Or are there any other issues?
Blackguard is the most complicated tank to play, due to extra resource and lots of debuffs. Imho, the strongest smallscale tank in game due to combined utility and damage output of 2H build.
However, at same time Blackguard is the least wanted tank outside of smallscale, as usualy one is enough per Warband as neither AoE snare or Crimson Death (10% chance to be crit debuff applied to enemies) doesn't stack.
M0rw47h wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:13 pm Premades win most of the time, on either side.
So it would be a good idea to find a guild?
Yes. A guild thats playing scenarios.
Bowldancer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:34 pm We lack tanks more than healer but both roles will guarantee you a spot.
I guess the same applies to destruction?
Destruction has way more healthy population and class distribution. Tanks are pretty popular there, as compared to order tanks they deal more damage and generaly are more fun to play. Which means, healers are more needed than tanks.
Bowldancer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:34 pm The Knight has the best morales, the best cc and passively buffs the whole group. It is the core tank. Some people find him bland to play. I disagree.
When you say "bland", you mean boring? What do people find bland about him?
It's utility tank.
You focus on controling combat with crowd control abilities (snare, knockdown, stagger, punt, damage reduction debuffs, interupts) and apply lots of passive buffs (auras) just by being there. Has lowest damage output of all tanks in game.

Bowldancer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:34 pm The Swordmaster has a very strong and unique ability that reduces the cooldown of abilities, an awesome AoE interrupt and can debuff the damage of the opponents. Easiest class to win the protection contest. I don't like the stance mechanic tho.
I've read somewhere on this forum that the Swordmaster dies very fast compared to the other tanks. Is that true or is it a matter of skill?
I wouldn't say SM has much lower damage mitigation that other tanks in group play.
Bowldancer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:34 pm The Rune Priest is the perfect tandem partner for the Warriorpriest. Ideally you always have both of them in every group. Also the least played class and a dwarf - so extra hot.
Why is the Rune Priest so rarely played?
It's not "rarely" played, but in general many people don't like visual side of dwarf classes.

Phase0ut

Post#6 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:29 pm

Thank you very much so far, guys. I've narrowed it down to Black Orc, Choppa or Marauder. Any suggestions which one I should pick? I like them all so far, so the fun factor is already given. How would you rate them considering general strength, 1v1 potential, damage output and survivability?

Strakar

Post#7 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:22 am

Black orc is the mirror of SM, and many would say superior potential certainly defensively and possibly offensive.

The other two are not tanks. DPS finding groups can be hit or miss. Meta group configuration is 2-2-2, you have 6 DPS classes vying for 2 group spots.

1v1 is such a small part of the game. No tank will outdamage DPS and no DPS will take any meaningful beating. It just depends what role you want to play.

Phase0ut

Post#8 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:05 pm

Me again - still undecided :D

Black Orc or Chosen? Which one has more offensive and/or solo potential?

Ads
pandrax115

Post#9 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:42 am

Phase0ut wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:05 pm Me again - still undecided :D

Black Orc or Chosen? Which one has more offensive and/or solo potential?
Id also like to know the answer to this. From what I can see chosen deals spirit damage but does that give it an edge? BO has a armour debuff and increased crit damage. I want to know who's got the big dam !

Nickalispicalis

Post#10 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:17 pm

Go Choppa.