Recent Topics

Ads

Looking for a tanky/sturdy DPS-class for PUG SCs

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
Trolfbert

Looking for a tanky/sturdy DPS-class for PUG SCs

Post#1 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:00 pm

I was wondering which DPS class would be a good pick for someone who enjoys doing PUG SCs exclusively?
So far what I've experienced is that in PUGs you just can't count on guaranteed heals and even less on ever being guarded by a tank.
So I was thinking that in order to get to most fun out of this I'd need a DPS class that can last a little bit longer without heals/guard.
Any ideas what would fit my requirements (it doesnt matter if order or destruction)?
Oh and joining a guild isn't a solution to me because I'm playing this game on and off like crazy, it just would be fair to any guild.

Ads
agemennon675

Re: Looking for a tanky/sturdy DPS-class for PUG SCs

Post#2 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:53 pm

To be honest with you any dps needs support to perform optimal but since you asked range dps classes apart from sorc/bright wizard can perform well alone. As far as mdps goes medium armored ones like WL Marauder can last a bit longer than their light armored cousins. As a side note here, I am sure you can find a right guild to join even if you dont play all the time, this game is about grouping up and its rewarded nicely.
Destruction: 40-BG / 40-DoK / 40-Chosen / 37-Mara / 37/Sorc / 36-SH / 36-Choppa / 24-Shaman / 16-WE
Order: 40-SW / 40-SM / 40-WP / 40-WL / 39-Kotbs / 38-BW / 33-AM / 22-WH / 16-RP / 12-Slayer

nonfactor

Post#3 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:33 pm

SM

Trolfbert

Post#4 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:32 pm

agemennon675 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:53 pm To be honest with you any dps needs support to perform optimal but since you asked range dps classes apart from sorc/bright wizard can perform well alone. As far as mdps goes medium armored ones like WL Marauder can last a bit longer than their light armored cousins. As a side note here, I am sure you can find a right guild to join even if you dont play all the time, this game is about grouping up and its rewarded nicely.
I guess I'm gonna try and find a casual guild then. I've have noticed that tanks with 2h spec are less dependent and do quite fine in SCs. Maybe that's something I should consider aswell?

agemennon675

Post#5 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:51 pm

Trolfbert wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:32 pm
agemennon675 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:53 pm To be honest with you any dps needs support to perform optimal but since you asked range dps classes apart from sorc/bright wizard can perform well alone. As far as mdps goes medium armored ones like WL Marauder can last a bit longer than their light armored cousins. As a side note here, I am sure you can find a right guild to join even if you dont play all the time, this game is about grouping up and its rewarded nicely.
I guess I'm gonna try and find a casual guild then. I've have noticed that tanks with 2h spec are less dependent and do quite fine in SCs. Maybe that's something I should consider aswell?
Yes they are actually doing really great for being sturdy pseudo dps but they will never reach real dps numbers wise and you will have to roll shield until you get some gear to do some dmg, so if you want big numbers and stuff roll a normal dps. If you like bruiser style 2h tanks can be fun
Destruction: 40-BG / 40-DoK / 40-Chosen / 37-Mara / 37/Sorc / 36-SH / 36-Choppa / 24-Shaman / 16-WE
Order: 40-SW / 40-SM / 40-WP / 40-WL / 39-Kotbs / 38-BW / 33-AM / 22-WH / 16-RP / 12-Slayer

mogulprince

Post#6 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:03 pm

Trolfbert wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:32 pm
Going 2h as a tank in SC's is generally preferable when you have geared up a bit. It's more of a support DPS role to get the kill faster and you still have to keep an eye on your team as guard duty is still a priority.

In terms of pure 2h DPS I'd rank them in this order (utility like punts and auras are not rated here!):
SM, BO > BG, IB > Chosen > KotBS
Blackguard - RR82
Black Orc - RR65
KotBS - RR73
Runepriest - RR58

Omegus

Post#7 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:18 pm

For tanky DPS go for an AoE Marauder. Not saying it'll be the most effective but it's the tankiest DPS class going and can even trigger a self heal (Gift of Monstrosity).

Alternatively you can still form groups (even just a 3-man) in the LFG chat channel (/5). No need for guild commitment. Picking a proper tank for this will make it easier to form a group.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Fenris78

Post#8 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:48 pm

Order side you have either a 2H Swordmaster with ether dance and focused on offensive gear/renown ; you will have heavy armor and many tools for damage reduction (Group absorb skill, parry buff, and 2H sentinel weapon "Crimsonwind" providing best of defensive proc + many offensive stats) plus useful group buffs/debuffs (group absorb, cd reducer, aoe stat stealing for your group, aoe spirit debuff for you own damage, etc).

Or a Witch Hunter with the Dragon Gun + Repel Blasphemy build, wich will net you a very powerful resistance (12 seconds of 100% parry with the morale 1), and very good damage and self-sustainability thanks to the combo Flowing accusation + Sanctified bullets to heal you for 400-500 nearly each gcd. And dragon gun will pump morale for your group as well as providing a kd every 10s.
And you have more escape tools (self-punt, incognito and vanish) to escape when thing got bad, even a +10% parry tactic (on top of your base 10% bonus for 2 melee weapons) if you want more tankiness, and the Empire racial tactic for absorb if needed.

Or you can go Shield WP wich is pretty much self-sufficent while doing good damage as well, if you can fathom the hatred from others against such specs... :p

Destru side you have comparable "mirrors" with Black Orc (a bit lacking for damage tho since hitting on armor), Witch Elf (wich have less self-sustain than WH but better burst and absorb tactics), and DoK (better for dps than a WP, at least with dual-wielding build vs 2-handed WP - shield spec is somehow mirrored).
And Marauder indeed, wich can be uber-tanky with monstro spec when needed (you will lack damage of course), and uber-dps with other stances (brutality/savagery) at the cost of defenses.

Ads
BeautfulToad

Post#9 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:11 pm

Marauder fits the bill exactly
Either that or 2handed tank

pvprangergod
Suspended

Post#10 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:36 am

There isn't any class that can be of any use by itself. You need to have a tank and heals to avoid dying in seconds vs any semi-competent group, and you need to assist another dps to secure kills.