Recent Topics

Ads

What Is A Tank's Role In Siege Defense?

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
EuphoricAnguish

What Is A Tank's Role In Siege Defense?

Post#1 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:52 am

I thought it was to stand in the doorway and make sure the enemy can't get in for as long as possible, but in /t4 tonight someone was screaming because of "shitty" tanks "anchoring in the doorway and getting everyone killed." I asked for clarification on what the tanks should do instead, and all I got was "A tank is supposed to guard DPS and knock down people."

So is it really the default to just allow the enemy into the keep in a surging wave and pray you have enough DPS to down them?

And what's the "funnel" I keep hearing about?

If it's not evident, I haven't done much of the ORvR stuff at all...

Ads
CyunUnderis

Re: What Is A Tank's Role In Siege Defense?

Post#2 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:12 am

I thought it was to stand in the doorway and make sure the enemy can't get in for as long as possible, but in /t4 tonight someone was screaming because of "shitty" tanks "anchoring in the doorway and getting everyone killed." I asked for clarification on what the tanks should do instead, and all I got was "A tank is supposed to guard DPS and knock down people."

So is it really the default to just allow the enemy into the keep in a surging wave and pray you have enough DPS to down them?
Your job is to guard and stick your guarded DPS, hold the line, challenge, body blocks enemies trying to enter the main gate, M2 ("Distracting Bellow") or M4 ("Immaculate Defense") during funnel.

And what's the "funnel" I keep hearing about?
It is when each faction is on either side of a door/gate, and each one raises its morals while awaiting the enemy assault.
Tanks and DPS are next to the wall, on either side of the door.
Tanks need to "Hold The Line" near, but not in front of, the doors. RDPS will melt you if you stay in front of the doors constantly, and your job is to protect the people behind you.
When the enemy is pushing, tanks need to block the way.

If it's not evident, I haven't done much of the ORvR stuff at all...
Don't worry, you will learn. Join organized WB or guild one and you'll learn a lot.
Last edited by CyunUnderis on Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

mynban

Post#3 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:16 am

What you do is something you should do for posterns in lord room, small doorways. So that dps can focus fire only main door.

yhani

Post#4 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:23 am

in this video from GameStopRoR you can see typical funnel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDh4yhYYBBo

first step of funnel:
1) use wall so your enemy cant get line of sight
2) leave enough room so your enemies have to get inside and your dps can hit them properly

second step (when attack happens):
3) punt enemies to corners where dps melt them and enemy healers cant resurrect
4) bodyblock main door with strong tanks so rest of your enemies cant get inside

there is few downsides if you stand right at the door:
- enemies can see you and they can build their morale with their abilities
- classes like choppa or marauder could pull you outside
- you are taking unnecessary dmg and then draining healer's ap
- you create chokepoint that is harmful to your side

all this being said: we all make mistakes and everyone had their rookie moments. Its alright. Without struggle there is no adventure. Some people get angry for nothing, usually its not about the game but it is safe to talk **** online rather than deal with real stuff.

There are many veteran players who gladly share their knowledge. Have fun, be yourself.
Vadhal - kotbs rr80+

Asderas27

Post#5 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:13 pm

Turn off /t4 and region chat.
The Unlikely Plan
Ramjumper - Knight of the Blazing Sun
Shewhispers - Swordmaster
Punishingknock - Ironbreaker
TUP
Bellowabuser - Chosen
Moralepumper - Black Orc
Mindkiller - Blackguard

TenTonHammer

Post#6 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:39 pm

Tanks used to be able to do interesting things during seiges like chosen could decrease enemy dmg output with crippling strikes tactic in the past but that kinda utility has been gutted

Aethilmar

Post#7 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:13 pm

Same role as everywhere else, take all the blame (or half the blame with the healers getting the other half) when DPS get ouchies or can't quite get the kills they want.