Recent Topics

Ads

Help choosing a destro tank.

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
Daynar

Help choosing a destro tank.

Post#1 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:38 pm

Hello I have been playing for a little bit now and have a RR 60 Marauder. I play during NA evening/night time and sometimes it is really hard to find people to do stuff with. (Specifically there seems to be no tanks when spamming LFG but pug SCs and RvR tend to have tanks but lack healers.) I want to give tanking a try and hopefully be more useful to NA destro. (Also to have better overall game play knowledge and to be a cultivator to pair with my Mara butchering.)

When I try to look stuff up everything seems outdated, and in game responses to what tank I should play or what's the best tank vary wildly. Here is what I currently understand.

Chosen: Simple/boring to play, but solid tank with no major issues.

BO: more interesting to play than chosen with the plan mechanic, half say they are not good after removal of the cooldown reduction ability, half (mostly orc roleplayers) say they are the best class in the game

BG: lots of buttons/most difficult to play, good in small groups not nearly as good in large groups. Online research makes them sound not ideal, but in game people don't seem to agree with that assessment so idk if they are good or bad or what.

I'm also curious about 2hand vs SnB. Older info suggests SnB is the way to go but in game 2-hand seems a lot more common and it doesn't seem to have the stigma it maybe used to?

Anyway I am posting here as I am hoping to get a more in depth answer to what I should play than advice chat. Thank you to anyone who can provide their opinion on the matter.

Ads
pvprangergod
Suspended

Re: Help choosing a destro tank.

Post#2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:01 am

If you want to make the most use out of Chosen, you need to punt, root, knockdown, taunt, challenge, bellow, champion challenge and use other morales/abilities in coordination with dps to secure kills. You will have a lot on your plate no matter what tank you choose.

Some people might even argue that Borc and BG are less complicated than Chosen, because Chosen has all his abilities available at all times compared to Borc and BG who are limited to basically doing "combos" and working within the confines of their class mechanics. This is subjective of course.

In my experience playing Chosen, its only ever "the easiest class to play" when you are literally just standing in a door way as a meat shield channeling hold the line ability. I have done this before, this 'boring gameplay' is still rewarding in the sense that you feel invulnerable, like a tank should, against hordes of enemies. Usually this is done in forts.

I have almost 300ms so I gave up playing my Chosen, the high latency makes punting and timing crowd control too difficult to do precisely. But I would highly recommend Chosen to anybody if latency is not a concern.

Black orc's major downfall is they lack a single target punt, but atleast they can use a knockdown. Punts and knockdowns are some of the most typical ways to secure kills or to save teammates.

Black guard's on the other hand has a long range single target punt comparable to the Chosen's punt.

Shield and 2handed specs vary in uses among each tank class, and alot of people will argue what they think appropriate specs are for different content.

The most generalised way to view it, is that shield is for big RVR fights and 2handed is for scenarios.

pvprangergod
Suspended

Post#3 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:17 am

You can have a look at the sort of abilities each tank has here:

https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/

This website is outdated but the majority of it is accurate.

Daynar

Post#4 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:45 am

Okay thanks, I might re-evaluate my view of chosen. I was concerned about the too simple aspect but maybe that's exaggerated. I don't actually know what my ping is I'll have to check and see if that would end up being an issue.

BluIzLucky

Post#5 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:37 am

Come ooon buddy, Chosen and Knight are seen as beginner classes for a reason.

All tanks have the same core tools, that they all need to use.

Then they have their mechanics which is tied to their utility..

BO/SMs is you need to jump between sets of abilities constantly, trying to time it with what you need, and if you do it right you get about 10% reduced AP costs and 10% increased if you don't.

BG / IBs is they have AP and hate/grudge to manage, for which they unlock (sometimes) more powerful stuff. They also have their buffs tied to a single friendly and enemy target, which you have to switch both to constantly maximise your effectiveness.

CH/knight is that they set and forget 3 powerful permanent group wide buffs that also debuffs. And to compensate for that they can use whatever ability they want whenever..

You can chill with all these classes but chilling with chosen/knight you still do 90% of your job, while going full POWAAH on the other tanks just gets you to chosen cruise speed..
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

zulnam

Post#6 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:01 am

Depends what your preferred activity is: RvR, solo roam, smallscale, ranked, sc, pve.

There is no gap between tanks large enough to have a single definitive answer. Tanks are also in demand so whatever you pick you will usually find a spot.

For group utility the ranking is: Chosen > BO > BG.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

pvprangergod
Suspended

Post#7 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:53 pm

BluIzLucky wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:37 am Come ooon buddy, Chosen and Knight are seen as beginner classes for a reason.

BO/SMs is you need to jump between sets of abilities constantly, trying to time it with what you need, and if you do it right you get about 10% reduced AP costs and 10% increased if you don't.

BG / IBs is they have AP and hate/grudge to manage, for which they unlock (sometimes) more powerful stuff. They also have their buffs tied to a single friendly and enemy target, which you have to switch both to constantly maximise your effectiveness.

CH/knight is that they set and forget 3 powerful permanent group wide buffs that also debuffs. And to compensate for that they can use whatever ability they want whenever..

You can chill with all these classes but chilling with chosen/knight you still do 90% of your job, while going full POWAAH on the other tanks just gets you to chosen cruise speed..
The attitude that Chosen is easy to play, as if you can just stand around lazily as if that is being helpful, is the main reason PUG warbands and the average scenario matches are in a miserable state. If you want to succeed in your role as a tank then you can't pretend that giving a few passive buffs is useful enough. A tank's role is massively complicated and they need to be aware of where each ally is, what they are doing, and same for each enemy. So they can react with appropriate crowd control or guard somebody. Chosen is anything but a 'passive' or easy class to play.

pvprangergod
Suspended

Post#8 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:58 pm

Daynar wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:45 am Okay thanks, I might re-evaluate my view of chosen. I was concerned about the too simple aspect but maybe that's exaggerated. I don't actually know what my ping is I'll have to check and see if that would end up being an issue.
You can see ping in the resource manager/monitor when you do Ctrl Alt Delete and go to task manager (while the game is running)

https://www.windowsdigitals.com/check-g ... indows-10/

My ping is significantly high since Im on basically other side of world to Paris where the server is hosted.

If you are europe then it should be fine for you. Eastern north america should be okayish too.

Ads
BluIzLucky

Post#9 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:29 pm

pvprangergod wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:53 pm
Spoiler:
BluIzLucky wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:37 am Come ooon buddy, Chosen and Knight are seen as beginner classes for a reason.

The attitude that Chosen is easy to play, as if you can just stand around lazily as if that is being helpful, is the main reason PUG warbands and the average scenario matches are in a miserable state. If you want to succeed in your role as a tank then you can't pretend that giving a few passive buffs is useful enough. A tank's role is massively complicated and they need to be aware of where each ally is, what they are doing, and same for each enemy. So they can react with appropriate crowd control or guard somebody. Chosen is anything but a 'passive' or easy class to play.
Sure, but that's not my point..

My point is all tanks have the same "massively complicated" core duties, and then some tanks (BO/BG) have more stuff to manage on top of that compared to Chosen. Not all the time in all settings, but most the time in most settings.

Obviously the best chosen is way better than the worst, and I'm sure they are fun to play for a lot of people, and OP might find that playing Chosen has plenty to do and is very fun, and is more enjoyable without having to deal with all the additional stuff of BO/BG :)
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Daynar

Post#10 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:32 pm

pvprangergod wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:58 pm You can see ping in the resource manager/monitor when you do Ctrl Alt Delete and go to task manager (while the game is running)
Thanks for this it looks like I am somewhere between 130 and 180. So not ideal but still usable I think.

Overall it looks like the general answer is what I expected. Play what you want/find most fun. Which doesn't really help me choose, but maybe I just need to level them all and see what I like more. I do plan on starting cultivation early on. Would that be an expensive gold sink to do on multiple characters?