Recent Topics

Ads

Shadow warrior or Squig herder

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
Gloubidou

Shadow warrior or Squig herder

Post#1 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:12 am

Hi guys, i'm new, as the title said, which of theses 2 is the best ? i like to do about everything in a game, solo, sc, wb and son on, i love the typical archer or hunter archetype

Ads
wonshot

Re: Shadow warrior or Squig herder

Post#2 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:19 am

Without going into extreme details, the two classes have a bit of a different twist to them.
The Squig Herder is a pet class where the class mechanic is giving you different buffs depending on which pet you have summoned, and different abilities each of the pets can perform. Where as the Shadow warrior's class mechanic is more of a stancedance with different buffs depending on which stance you are in.

since this game is not a perfectly mirrored game, there will be pros and cons for each class on each realm.
SW has longer range on their ranged knockdown, they have a ranged aoe build where the SH doesnt and need to go into Squigarmor to perform aoe, the racial passive tactics are different and probably in the SH's favor and so does the list go on and on for advantages in a comparison.

In the end of the day play which one you like, or play both with the realm-lockout allowed by the server.
Also welcome to RoR!
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

Gloubidou

Post#3 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:39 pm

So SH is a bit better than SW if his tactics are good ? and yeah, i will play the one i like, but since i find them both pretty cool and good looking, that's why i'm asking this, to help me make a choice haha, thank you for your input btw !

Valarion

Post#4 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:46 pm

I'd recommend you play both classes as both are wildly different from a gameplay perspective and have different strengths and weaknesses. I personally disliked SW and found SH to be more "fun".
80+ WP/Dok/RP/Zealot 60+ AM/Shaman/Knight/Chosen/SM/BO/BW/Sorc 40+WL/Eng. SW deleted

zulnam

Post#5 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:01 pm

if you want to play archer archetype be warned that for warbands the SH build is melee (and turns you into a giant squig, unfortunately). If that change and lack of aesthetics doesn't bother you, then melee SH is a great class for warbands.

SH ranged specs are pretty good too, but they are for smallscale.

Meanwhile, SW has a decent warband aoe ranged build, a ranged smallscale build (weaker than SH one) and an ok-ish melee smallscale build.

To play ranged properly, both classes need expert kiting skills. They can kill, but are very fragile. Without gear you'll be dead in a single knockdown.

In this regards, SH is a bit easier due to the racial tactics Bombling mentioned, which heavily favour kiting. Using too many of those however means you don't have room for damage tactics, so it's a bit of a catch there.

Overall SH has somewhat better specs, but it's warband archetype is not an archer. SW has an ok aoe spec, a bit weak melee/ranged ST specs, but it's warband archetype is archer.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

Gloubidou

Post#6 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:45 pm

Thx for all your answer guys !

Poulpie03

Post#7 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:24 pm

i heard that SW is in a pretty bad spot, you should go SH

Gloubidou

Post#8 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:33 pm

zulnam wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:01 pm if you want to play archer archetype be warned that for warbands the SH build is melee (and turns you into a giant squig, unfortunately). If that change and lack of aesthetics doesn't bother you, then melee SH is a great class for warbands.

SH ranged specs are pretty good too, but they are for smallscale.

Meanwhile, SW has a decent warband aoe ranged build, a ranged smallscale build (weaker than SH one) and an ok-ish melee smallscale build.

To play ranged properly, both classes need expert kiting skills. They can kill, but are very fragile. Without gear you'll be dead in a single knockdown.

In this regards, SH is a bit easier due to the racial tactics Bombling mentioned, which heavily favour kiting. Using too many of those however means you don't have room for damage tactics, so it's a bit of a catch there.

Overall SH has somewhat better specs, but it's warband archetype is not an archer. SW has an ok aoe spec, a bit weak melee/ranged ST specs, but it's warband archetype is archer.
Thx, is SH really can't be played as a ranged dps in WB ?? i can't stand the squig armor lol

Ads
Tanski

Post#9 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:30 pm

I can’t speak for a sw in wb play, but they are strong AF in small scale/roam. I’ve seen festering arrow hit for 3.5k on a 2 sec cast followed by a 2k execute… for a class that has no punishing mechanic to do this much ranged ST dmg…
75+ BG
80 Choppa/slyer
80 wl
70 + sm
70 bw/sorc
80 wh, we
60 sham/am

zulnam

Post#10 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:12 pm

Gloubidou wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:33 pm
zulnam wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:01 pm bla bla
Thx, is SH really can't be played as a ranged dps in WB ?? i can't stand the squig armor lol
Only if your warband runs a single-target group, but those are usually more of a city thing, and even then SH would not be anyone's first choice unless player skill and gear greatly outweighs the alternatives.

I feel your pain. In a game that is renown for customising the appearance of your character and even have aesthetic trophy slots, to play a meatball that can only change colors is criminal. Hopefully at some point in the future it will be addressed, but i imagine it's low on the priority list.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG