Recent Topics

Ads

PVP seems a bit too 'bursty'.

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Kobra
Suspended

PVP seems a bit too 'bursty'.

Post#1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:40 pm

It seems like it's a bit too bursty right now. Fights are over too quick IMO. One of the things (few things) I liked about SWTOR PVP was they had the perfect dmg/defense algorithms. Damage was capped to a reasonable number, it was impossible to 1-shot someone and fights were pretty long and satisfying allowing the use of more tactics. Skill reigned supreme.

Right now it seems like RoR is a bit too heavy on burst and a bit too low on defense. Even with stacked toughness the burst seems pretty intense. I remember during live they were contemplating reducing overall damage by around 20-25%. I recall reading a thread where the developers were discussing this was a way to try and fix how badly they broke the game with the higher gear sets.

Does anyone else think it's too bursty and low on the satisfaction scale right now?

Ads
Jaycub

Re: PVP seems a bit too 'bursty'.

Post#2 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Defense in this game comes from group composition, and cannot be fully realized on a solo level.

>tanks
- 50% damage reduction with guard
- 30% outgoing damage debuff with challenge
- 50% outgoing and 75%? incoming damage reduction via morales
- plethora of buffs/debuffs such as ib magic bubble, chosen crippling strikes/BG crit debuff

healer
- morales that give stats like armor that stack with everything
- powerful inc healing modifier buffs / reduced armor pen buff / wounds buffs
- cleanses

Renown abilities like cleansing winds/RD

you get the idea...

When 2 groups with all these in place fight each other it actually get's pretty spammy and boring and comes down to punt wars/getting someone without guard caught off "guard" pun intended.
<Lords of the Locker Room> <Old School>

Caffeine

Post#3 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:07 am

Jaycub wrote: healer
- morales that give stats like armor that stack with everything
Armor proc from hot and zealots m2 don't stack with potions.
VinyUI | FPS Guide | Scenario Alert | Image Caffeine Image Decaf Image Vermont Image Nevada

TenTonHammer

Post#4 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:15 am

Kobra wrote:I liked about SWTOR PVP was they had the perfect dmg/defense algorithms.
*Stares at arsenal mercs, deception sins, marksman snipers*

You sure about that?

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#5 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:59 am

Shadowbane had the perfect PvP burst balance. Ignore teleporting druid aoE groups, the man behind the curtain is not there, etc.

Half giant werebear ranger meta4lyfe m8.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

Dabbart

Post#6 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:27 am

Classes with super high burst tend to be super squishy, so it works out evenly imo.

The sheer amount of damage negation, reductions, and survival abilities means, as Jaycub said, battles between "comp" groups can get bogged down as it is.

Read your Combat Log. See what is actually killing you. Is it BW/Sorc DoTs? Engi M3? Wh/WE KD burst? Are you dying to a death of a thousand Procs? What is actually doing the most damage to you?

If you want to get super involved, there are numerous Addons that will log inc damage from each source so you can look to see what is doing consistently the most damage too you, and then plan your defenses from there. Maybe you need to bulk up your resistances and focus less on armor. Maybe you need to pump Wounds so you can survive the extra 1-2GcDs it takes to recover from KD and pop your CW3. Maybe you need to dump everything into evasion(dodge/disrupt/parry) to break up attack chains.

The most important thing you can do however, is look hard at your class. What survival abilities do you have? And how often are you actually using them? Detaunting means the difference between standing there spamming /dance between heals, and dying in a few GcDs.

Burst is good. W/o it no one would ever die in a decent group...
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

analoghermit

Post#7 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:07 am

As Jaycub said, it's down to groups.
If you're PuGing, good luck.

spikespiegel84

Post#8 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:06 pm

Detaunt, armor or wounds talismans, renown abilities, a good healer, a guard. This will give you at least 4 seconds of extra suffering before entering our kill counts.

Joking, all this above will definitely improve your game. Old but gold: you need to be alive in order to kill.

Ads
Kobra
Suspended

Post#9 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:17 pm

GodlessCrom wrote:Shadowbane had the perfect PvP burst balance. Ignore teleporting druid aoE groups, the man behind the curtain is not there, etc.

Half giant werebear ranger meta4lyfe m8.
Shadowbane was near perfect. A pity if never caught on. I was in Death Heads Legion (DHL) the most well known, and feared guild. But yeah, I think Shadowbane got the pvp balance almost perfect.

I re-arranged my shaman a bit and seem to be pretty survivable now. I added the tactic that has a 25% chance to proc a 75% detaunt. That made a huge difference. I added toughness talismans and keep DSU up giving me about 550 toughness in each battle. WH's seem to have huge difficulty killing me now. I hit the knockback, apply shield, stack hots, drain their AP and then they always seem to try to run. ;-)

Tankbeardz

Post#10 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Kobra wrote:It seems like it's a bit too bursty right now. Fights are over too quick IMO. One of the things (few things) I liked about SWTOR PVP was they had the perfect dmg/defense algorithms.
SWTOR had terrible PVP imo. It also had insanely imbalanced PVP early on, just like war.