Recent Topics

Ads

[DISCUSSION] Itemization in ROR - Set Bonuses

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
th3gatekeeper

Re: [DISCUSSION] Itemization in ROR - Set Bonuses

Post#21 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:28 am

Luuca wrote: Each class has a main stat that contributes to it's effectiveness in the game. When you allow players unlimited access to any gear piece with that stat, in any combination, you are allowing min-maxing. Min-Max players "break" the game because they distort the TTK balance - in either direction.

A blanket statement, betting your account, that no two tanks will be the same is absurd. There will be an identified spec, gearing list, and rotation posted and promoted as the "BiS" by every class. This happens in every game with every class. To say human nature is to not min-max is absurd. This is why Crit% was nerfed in RoR - stacking crit for DPS classes lowered the TTK in the game significantly and destroyed the balance. Crit stacking, under your system, would not only be allowed, it would be a BiS gearing for some classes. This is the best example I can give as to why %crit was moved to 5-piece set bonus and not left at 3-piece.

If you want to be unique, use appearance items. Give up your set bonuses and gear the way you want. Noone is stopping you.
It seems you are not going to read the idea, and have pre conceived notions that will not be swayed, which is fine.

I can tell you this. Removing set bonuses, will INCREASE TTK. Not DECREASE TTK. It removes stats, and removes things like crit %.

The reason crit % was too good is two reasons. The sources of crit were easy to get - thanks to RR points. For some classes crit provided a bigger return in DPS than any other stat. So everyone stacked crit. Why wouldnt they...

Look, if I am a BW, I get waht like +150% crit damage or something crazy? Needless to say, crits do something like 200% damage? Or is it like 150% more damage either way... If I can spend 5 RR points and get 2% crit this equates to something like 3-4% more "DPS" AND its all as BURST damage. Or I can go drop 4 points in Int and get 16 Int which will give me (on average) ~1%-1.5% more damage.

This is why crit was stupid. Renown points making it too easy to get lots of crit COMBINED with crit just being far superior to ANYTHING else. For SOME classes. You take a class that has NO crit addatives, so crits JUST do 50% more damage, and everything was fine.

And no. Crit stacking is lessened in my system - you didnt read.
Look at a BW who is rocking 6 piece Conq....
2 Piece + 66 Intelligence
3 Piece + 66 Initiative
4 Piece + 66 Wounds
5 Piece on Hit : 25% chance to steal 100 Toughness from your target for 10 seconds
6 Piece + 5% Magic Critical Chance

ALL that is removed. GONE. SEEYA!
Please tell me what he is going to use to get 5% crit back that ALSO isnt going to cost him even more Int than he already lost?

What? Devastator Scorchguards for +2% crit? Ok Kudos.... You got back 2% from a 5% loss but what did it cost you? Int/Toughness/Wounds/armor/2% reduced chance to be interrupted? For what 2% crit? Sure......

SO YEAH.... This just seems silly and not thought out to me (your response)

"There will be an identified spec, gearing list, and rotation posted and promoted as the "BiS" by every class."

Whats stopping this from happening now? Oh wait... actually set bonuses basically do this for you. Want to X role? Here is your gear! No choices!

Again... I cant explain it enough. I have met several people... tanks, DOKs, etc. etc. who all VALUE different stats differently... So while POSSIBLE "min/max" setups occur - naturally... What everyone will define as BIS for them will change.

Anyways, this is pointless.
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

Ads
Cimba

Post#22 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:52 am

th3gatekeeper wrote:What? Devastator Scorchguards for +2% crit? Ok Kudos.... You got back 2% from a 5% loss but what did it cost you? Int/Toughness/Wounds/armor/2% reduced chance to be interrupted? For what 2% crit? Sure......
Actually that's precisely what you do on BW/Sorc when you want to optimize your average damage. I wrote a small combat simulator to estimate the impact between crit, int and reduced change to be disrupted. Even against disrupt stacking enemies crit stacking proved to be the most effective means to increase your average damage. And the maximum amount of crit you can stack is not through full conq.

Telperien

Post#23 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:29 am

Cimba wrote: ... I wrote a small combat simulator to estimate the impact between crit, int and reduced change to be disrupted. Even against disrupt stacking enemies crit stacking proved to be the most effective means to increase your average damage...
Can you post in new topic your simulator and conclusions?
Slacking (checking out EvE)

Cimba

Post#24 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:44 pm

Telperien wrote:Can you post in new topic your simulator and conclusions?
When I find the time I will probably do that. Problem is you would also kind of need to explain how combat works on RoR. Which is a pretty big topic in itself.