Recent Topics

Ads

musings...

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Rakathu

musings...

Post#1 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:37 pm

so i was looking at my post history, and i found this reply
Genisaurus wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:40 pm
Rakathu wrote:And why do we not have completion dialogue?
Because our entire Database is made up of sniffed packets from live. If players didn't participate in content, get certain items, or take and finish certain quests, we don't have records of it and have to make it up from scratch. And sometimes the packet sniffer application had bugs and would corrupt or change data without warning.

To give an example - no player running the packet sniffer application ever claimed a keep for their guild. Without those packets, we have no way of figuring out how that worked.

No players running a packet sniffer ever equipped the complete Mayhem set. As a result, 90% of the set bonuses for Mayhem are missing, as are many of the actual items. These things all need to be recreated from scratch, usually by scouring whatever resources we have.
and it prompted me to question: would actual live server build data from Mythic actually help in this database effort, or would it need to have been run through the snifter program?

I'm not saying such data still exists or is available in any form. I'm simply asking if we had it, could it be integrated?

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: musings...

Post#2 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:53 pm

Rakathu wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:37 pm so i was looking at my post history, and i found this reply
Genisaurus wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:40 pm
Rakathu wrote:And why do we not have completion dialogue?
Because our entire Database is made up of sniffed packets from live. If players didn't participate in content, get certain items, or take and finish certain quests, we don't have records of it and have to make it up from scratch. And sometimes the packet sniffer application had bugs and would corrupt or change data without warning.

To give an example - no player running the packet sniffer application ever claimed a keep for their guild. Without those packets, we have no way of figuring out how that worked.

No players running a packet sniffer ever equipped the complete Mayhem set. As a result, 90% of the set bonuses for Mayhem are missing, as are many of the actual items. These things all need to be recreated from scratch, usually by scouring whatever resources we have.
and it prompted me to question: would actual live server build data from Mythic actually help in this database effort, or would it need to have been run through the snifter program?

I'm not saying such data still exists or is available in any form. I'm simply asking if we had it, could it be integrated?
There's a lot of stuff baked into the 10GB of client files as well. Having things directly from the server, at this point, wouldn't improve much.

Probably.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog