Recent Topics

Ads

What would it take: organized warband

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Greenbeast

Re: What would it take: organized warband

Post#31 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:27 pm

roadkillrobin wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:47 am Actually, the better you make AoE damage the less of a zerg there will be to share the the purples numbers /drops as it's gonna be more rewarding to not zerg.
The weaker the AoE the more incentive to zerg there gonna be. The zerg exist coz of the AoE hitcaps and weak AoE damage.

The RVR being based on m2 atm is coz output of AoE ability damage is crapp so you need to zerg up to both absorb the AoE hitcap and have enough power aswell.

If you think weakening AoE is gonna resault in better RVR, then you don't realize the larger effect of it. It's gonna resault in biggers blobs.

With strong AoE smaller groups can hold grounds at chokepoints and able to flank out opposition fast with suprice attacks. With weak AoE the biggest number wins EACH time.
I don't believe that this can be balanced through aoe dmg increase/reduction/bringing back old resolute defence etc. Because in any case side with more premades will win. You wont be able to do anything with your group if you are facing 2-3 organised warbands on top of each other. You can farm semi afk/full pug groups/warbands with inferior numbers even now.
The main problem with zerging right now - meaningless objectives and campaign. No one can take keeps with even numbers, no one can defend keeps with 40+ aao, campaign it self have no long term goals. Draw mechanic is disabled. So every zone with more or less even numbers shrinking to road between war camps. And if it is t2 zone..well :)
This game need more small scale and small scale need some objectives to fight for.
Imho.

Ads
Xergon

Post#32 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:29 pm

roadkillrobin wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:47 am Actually, the better you make AoE damage the less of a zerg there will be to share the the purples numbers /drops as it's gonna be more rewarding to not zerg.
The weaker the AoE the more incentive to zerg there gonna be. The zerg exist coz of the AoE hitcaps and weak AoE damage.

The RVR being based on m2 atm is coz output of AoE ability damage is crapp so you need to zerg up to both absorb the AoE hitcap and have enough power aswell.

If you think weakening AoE is gonna resault in better RVR, then you don't realize the larger effect of it. It's gonna resault in biggers blobs.

With strong AoE smaller groups can hold grounds at chokepoints and able to flank out opposition fast with suprice attacks. With weak AoE the biggest number wins EACH time.

Don't you think if smaller group could resist constantly against much bigger groups would be some what imbalanced ? Thats how it works always, i dont have anything against when other side has more population and some what organization so they should win eventually.

BTW., whats wrong with Diminishing Returns debuff. Many times ive seen it but in not correct time/side, on Order we had it sometimes in Caledor of BFP when we where underdog even...

Isn't DR suppouse to be debuff to counter ZERG numbers ?
Last edited by Xergon on Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Unlikely Plan
YouTube

roadkillrobin

Post#33 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:54 pm

Maybe something could be done with movement speed/collition when hiding in blobs, aswell as making AoE damage strong again. I do belive that weak AoE and AoE hitcaps have caused much more problem then it solved.

For example, when in combat movement speed starts to slow down by 1% for each friendly player above 12 within 10 feet with no upper cap.

This should counter somewhat that blobs AoE output also would get more powerful with a AoE boost.

dansari

Post#34 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:37 pm

roadkillrobin wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:54 pm Maybe something could be done with movement speed/collition when hiding in blobs, aswell as making AoE damage strong again. I do belive that weak AoE and AoE hitcaps have caused much more problem then it solved.

For example, when in combat movement speed starts to slow down by 1% for each friendly player above 12 within 10 feet with no upper cap.

This should counter somewhat that blobs AoE output also would get more powerful with a AoE boost.
Would make incredibly mobile destro groups even more mobile. Order needs AOE counters or more classes with mobility of their own first
<Salt Factory>

ravenlocke

Post#35 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:44 pm

I play primarily SCs/small scale roaming. For me to join a warband it would take one of the following:

1. Increased frequency of competitive fights - most large scale fights in orvr these days are significantly uneven from a numbers standpoint so you are either getting rolled or doing the rolling. I find this to be non-challenging and boring.

2. Reduction in AOE damage - right now wb fights are just mindlessly spamming aoe damage / heals. For optimal RVR performance classes are told to stack wounds to survive the aoe a little longer, whereas for small scale you can gem/spec RR into different stats depending on your comp or if you want to go glass cannon or more tanky. This is far more dynamic. As a DOK healer, in a WB i am spamming group heals and the soul essence regen skill non stop - not fun.

3. Increased localization of fighting areas - right now participation in large scale orvr feels like 98% mounted running/standing time and 2% actual fighting time. Just boring for me when combined with the 2% fighting is frequently not challenging.

4. Modification of keep siege mechanics. Right now keep sieges are only interesting immediately after each door goes down and there is large scale fighting in the courtyard or keep areas between the defenders and attackers. Then the only fun thing to do is be a defender trying to wickpe the attaers on the lord. As an attacker the lord fight is simply not fun. The lord paths all over the place with seeming random target swaps and 3 shots whoever he aggros. It is not fun to be downstairs engaging in a great fight with invading defenders and suddenly have the lord drop on you and 3 shot you.

RVDoor is a very boring mechanic as it takes forever and only engages a few people out of the large groups. It would be far more interestng if the outer posterns allowed all classes to get through. You would still need to ram down the outer door to get the next ram through to the inner but it would allow the fighting to be concentrated in the courtyard and be large scale. Defenders would have an advantage as they would rez at the keep but i think this would be very engaging as pushing through the postern as a group would be fun having to deal with with defenders positioned on the terrain immediately inside the postern. It would also make strategic defending with group placement more interesting as you have high/low ground considerations. Should also be an easy code change.

Watching paint dry is actually more fun than the current lord fight because at least you know you have accomplished something meaningful after the paint dries. The lord fight is currently spamming attacks waiting for the aggro to switch to you so you can be 3 shotted and then rezzed. There is no interesting mechanic. I think the lord hp should be dropped by a significant % and the focus on keeps should be the siege itself.

I think any one of those changes would make it far more likely for me to engage in large scale wb size orvr.

Would love to hear thoughts on any of the ideas above.

-Kright 66 DOK

Ramasee

Post#36 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:04 pm

ravenlocke wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:44 pm "..."

Watching paint dry is actually more fun than the current lord fight because at least you know you have accomplished something meaningful after the paint dries. The lord fight is currently spamming attacks waiting for the aggro to switch to you so you can be 3 shotted and then rezzed. There is no interesting mechanic. I think the lord hp should be dropped by a significant % and the focus on keeps should be the siege itself.
"..."

-Kright 66 DOK
What if I told you that keep lords do in fact have mechanics and abilities. They are also tankable only requiring 10s of group coordination to deal with the initial heal debuff when he switches to you. What if no one notices this because they view keep lords in the same light you do and never think to try to understand how it works.

Would you take the blue pill?

ravenlocke

Post#37 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:14 pm

Ramasee wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:04 pm

"..."

-Kright 66 DOK
What if I told you that keep lords do in fact have mechanics and abilities. They are also tankable only requiring 10s of group coordination to deal with the initial heal debuff when he switches to you. What if no one notices this because they view keep lords in the same light you do and never think to try to understand how it works.

Hi:

I find the lord mechanics uninteresting. With in combat rezzes it really does not matter if the mechanic is countered or if you are 3 shotted - you are back spamming your buttons and doing your thing after 3-5 seconds in either case.

I find the real fun of a keep take to be in the assault/defense once each door drops. I would love to see the focus shift to more combat in this style.

-Kright 66 DOK

Stinkyweed

Post#38 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Nothing, short of making it a requirement somehow. Continuous WB v WB fighting is dreadfully boring and laggy. Taking zones falls into the same catagory, especially without some sort of end goal. The PVDoor and PVHero mechanics are not enjoyable to me. I have accepted the game and how it gets modified as-is...knowing there is nothing that I can do or offer to make it better. I will stick with my solo roam, or 6-man roam game until it becomes a requirement to join a WB due to mechanics or overpopulation of the zone.
Stinkyweed SH.86
Prowl WE.85
Blob Chop.82
Babaganoush Sham.7x
Negative Creep Z.5x
Motley Crue WH.5x
Scratch WL.3x

Don't fall asleep...don't fall asleep...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP7uxesyQWo

Ads
lefze
Suspended

Post#39 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:19 pm

ravenlocke wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:14 pm
Ramasee wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:04 pm

"..."

-Kright 66 DOK

Hi:

I find the lord mechanics uninteresting. With in combat rezzes it really does not matter if the mechanic is countered or if you are 3 shotted - you are back spamming your buttons and doing your thing after 3-5 seconds in either case.

I find the real fun of a keep take to be in the assault/defense once each door drops. I would love to see the focus shift to more combat in this style.

-Kright 66 DOK
Funnels already last practically forever in many cases, there is no lack of fighting after doors go down. There is also occasionally a shitload of pvp to be had while the lord goes down, but people just don't bother and let the lord go down too often imo.
Rip Phalanx

Ramasee

Post#40 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:44 pm

I agree that the keep lord mechanic sometimes doesn't fit with the whole PvP aspect.

I'd rather see a flag with a 15s break on damage castbar. Flag always applies the 25% increased damage taken debuff the lord applies for the attacking faction.

Upon taking the flag, a resource bar appears. If the attackers own all 4 bfos, the resource bar will deplete in ten minutes. Each bfo the defending faction own, slows the rate of resource depletion.

Defenders can take the flag back with the same 15s break on damage cast bar. This fills the resource bar back at the same rate of depletion. Doors will not replenish (as they currently do) unless the defenders own the flag and the resource bar is full.