Recent Topics

Ads

NPC Respawn Rate

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Bloodlet

Re: NPC Respawn Rate

Post#11 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:52 am

I've played MMOs since Ultima Online beta (I guess I am a crusty old fart now) and know how long respawn rates can have their own downsides. For example I had to camp 12 hours for my turn at Jboots in Everquest back in the day. But RoR doesn't have the population to justify the current respawn rate. I just wish they would make it how it was on live which was fine to me. There was only one time I can recall on live where mobs were running out and that was like a chapter 5 or 6 Empire PQ with the graveyard and we were killing zombies as they spawned in and had to wait for enough to spawn in to advance the PQ; Otherwise the spawn rate was fine.

Ads
Hargrim
Developer

Post#12 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 am

catholicism198 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:17 am It's not necessarily a bad thing. If you've ever played Vanilla WoW you'll understand why.
10 minute respawn rate on quest mobs was insane...
Hargrim wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:13 am NPCs walking around are on my to do list.

Respawn rates somehow force you into grouping, this is something we encourage.
Hopefully I don't come off as a major D, but I fail to see how that holds any truth what so ever.
You guys, not you specifically, nerfed exp gains into oblivion, especially group exp. Especially.
It wasn't until Azarael returned that exp gains for quests was buffed.
I don't call the shots, you should probably tag the person you want answer from.

mogt

Post#13 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:25 am

players dont cry, this game is not doing soloing, if you do quests take friend, ask in guild or use the /5 channel, this is a group game. and if the players want doing quest alone, that is the wrong game for this and the respawn timer, is very good,

catholicism198

Post#14 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:32 am

Hargrim wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 am
catholicism198 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:17 am It's not necessarily a bad thing. If you've ever played Vanilla WoW you'll understand why.
10 minute respawn rate on quest mobs was insane...
Hargrim wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:13 am NPCs walking around are on my to do list.

Respawn rates somehow force you into grouping, this is something we encourage.
Hopefully I don't come off as a major D, but I fail to see how that holds any truth what so ever.
You guys, not you specifically, nerfed exp gains into oblivion, especially group exp. Especially.
It wasn't until Azarael returned that exp gains for quests was buffed.
I don't call the shots, you should probably tag the person you want answer from.
As I said, that comment wasn't directed at you personally, as most of the changes were before your time, sorry if it came off that way- it was directed to the team as whole.

I'm done with leveling- for the most part- I just worry about new players coming into the server.

saupreusse
Developer

Post#15 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:21 am

I also thought the respawn rate on ror was too high until i tried to proof it and had to find out that it was pretty much the same on live (about 60sec for trashmobs iirc). I believe the problem is that we simply have way too many spawns.

Nidwin

Post#16 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:01 am

saupreusse wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:21 am I also thought the respawn rate on ror was too high until i tried to proof it and had to find out that it was pretty much the same on live (about 60sec for trashmobs iirc). I believe the problem is that we simply have way too many spawns.
This. I don't see any differences in respawn rate vs live. The issue is the amount of NPC's vs how it was on live. Some places have more or way more NPC's on RoR making it more challenging for some toons in some situations. On the other hand if you need to farm for reason x,y,z it's much better on RoR than it was on live.

May I suggest that you make a list and post it on the bug tracker when you run into a quest (name quest and where it becomes tricky) so the staff can have a look and may be adjust the amount of NPC's ? Just a suggestion of course.
Nidwinqq used teabag Magus [Hysteria]

Bloodlet

Post#17 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:33 pm

mogt wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:25 am players dont cry, this game is not doing soloing, if you do quests take friend, ask in guild or use the /5 channel, this is a group game. and if the players want doing quest alone, that is the wrong game for this and the respawn timer, is very good,
You are objectively wrong. This is a private server that is trying to mimic the live server. I get that it won't be a mirror and that player class abilities might be changed from live but I haven't seen them say anything that it was their official position to make the entire game require a group including questing which the original live game did not require a group for. As stated above there is content in game for both groups and for soloers but the respawn rate has been cranked up to make certain quests impossible or tediously difficult to accomplish without suiciding your character or cheesing the game otherwise.
Last edited by Bloodlet on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bloodlet

Post#18 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:43 pm

saupreusse wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:21 am I also thought the respawn rate on ror was too high until i tried to proof it and had to find out that it was pretty much the same on live (about 60sec for trashmobs iirc). I believe the problem is that we simply have way too many spawns.
I don't know if I agree with this. I recall playing in LoTD and there was a spawn of about 12 carrion and I could kill all of them at a comfortable pace before the first one started to respawn. In RoR, I can kill about 4 maybe 5 before my first kills start respawning. I accept however that it has been a long time since live was a game and that maybe I am wrong and that maybe mob density is the real issue instead.

But either way the net result is that many quests become unreasonably difficult and tedious for a player to accomplish in my opinion.

Ads
saupreusse
Developer

Post#19 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Bloodlet wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:43 pm
I don't know if I agree with this. I recall playing in LoTD and there was a spawn of about 12 carrion and I could kill all of them at a comfortable pace before the first one started to respawn. In RoR, I can kill about 4 maybe 5 before my first kills start respawning. I accept however that it has been a long time since live was a game and that maybe I am wrong and that maybe mob density is the real issue instead.

But either way the net result is that many quests become unreasonably difficult and tedious for a player to accomplish in my opinion.
Dunno maybe original war had dynamic respawn rates like world of warcraft. But in the videos i have watched the respawn rate was ≈60sec.

tscrappy

Post#20 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:17 pm

I am new to level 40 on this server and I am certain the respawn rate is much higher on this server than on Mythic's. I can only recall a few quests that I outright abandoned due to repawn rates. The quest involved dungeons where a means of escape was not so easy. Overall I welcomed a high rate of spawn so I didnt have to wait for more mobs of a particular type to spawn to complete a quest.

I think the argument of "try grouping to compete the quest" is an answer that does not work all the time since most of the time we are talking about trash mobs that are for a step in a quest that probably you and you alone have due to population issues. It's hard to ask someone to help you do mundane quest steps because the mobs will repawn too quickly.

The repawn rate does not need a big change but whatever it is now seems to short.
Skalathryx - Chosen
Ex. Skalathrax - Chosen - Blackthornes GM