Recent Topics

Ads

NPC Respawn Rate

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Bloodlet

NPC Respawn Rate

Post#1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:56 pm

In my humble opinion NPC respawn rate is really way too fast in RoR. Multiple times I have had a quest take me into a cave and I get 2 or 3 mobs in before the stuff I just killed is respawning behind me. It gets to the point sometimes where I have to move forward so fast that I can't take rests in between fights to get my health up because I am concerned something I killed 30 seconds ago is just going to respawn on me and kill me. Another example is a bridge in Mount Bloodhorn with 5 orcs on it. I cannot kill the orcs even being a few levels over them and clear the bridge to cross before the first one I killed respawns. Of course I could swim the river but that isn't the point.

Personally I think that the respawn rate should be at least 4-5 times slower than what it is currently which I think would be more in line with how it was on the official live release.

p.s. As an added bit of feedback I am looking forward to when NPCs path around on their own again. I think it would liven up the world immensely.

Ads
Hargrim
Developer

Re: NPC Respawn Rate

Post#2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:13 am

NPCs walking around are on my to do list.

Respawn rates somehow force you into grouping, this is something we encourage.

Bloodlet

Post#3 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:32 am

Hargrim wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:13 am NPCs walking around are on my to do list.

Open world regular PvE questing was never something that required grouping. That was what lairs, dungeons, PQs and randomly placed champs and heroes were for. Questing was meant to be doable solo.

Last night after making this thread I was in the Marshes of Madness doing a quest looking for a downed Gyrocopter. I tried to get close enough to a part to click it and accidentally aggroed 3 goblins since I didn't notice one behind a rock. I killed them all but barely and just like I warned in my post above, as I killed the last one, the first one I killed respawned and finished me off. That's not challenging, that's just tedious.

Bloodlet

Post#4 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:19 am

Ok can we pretty please tone down respawn rate. Another of the multitude of examples while I have been leveling of the rate being too fast:

I am working on the quest "Plans within plans" in which I have to get into a walled around through some doors to kill a named NPC. There are 6 NPCs guarding the outside of the gate. I killed 4 of them and then the first ones I killed started to respawn on top of me. Eventually I just attempted to bull rush my way through the doors picking up aggro from NPCs just on the other side of the gate and ended up having nowhere to run and getting beaten down since I could not methodically take down the camp due to the insanely fast respawn rate. I'm playing a defensive IB and I am not sure how any squishier classes would even deal with this.

This is just a normal quest in a level 32-33 area and I am level 34. This is not a learn to play issue and we already established that normal questing should be doable solo (as Mythic intended) considering there are plenty of other options for group play. This is just aggravating and demotivating.

I really like the new XP changes with the latest patch and expect others may PvE quest more because of them and am sure they will run into this issue too. I often have to try and stay on the outskirts of camps and suicide in for quest objectives rather then being able to effectively clear a path.

Darks63

Post#5 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:37 am

Knocking down the aggro radius down to live levels would be nice too. On this server mobs attack at 50% greater range than they did on live.
Tourist SW 40/50+<Zaxxed> Discotec 40/40+<IRONIC>

Former Pragg/Badlands Destro Iron Rock/Badlands Order player.

Bloodlet

Post#6 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:05 am

I've noticed that as well; and they also parry much more than live too.

NoRKaLKiLLa

Post#7 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:54 am

Find some video evidence of the aggro range from live and post it in the bugtracker. It'll either be flagged as something needing to be fixed or confirmed to be working as intended on RoR. I hear and understand your frustrations though.

Bloodlet

Post#8 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:22 pm

I personally don't mind the aggro range so much because I can get used to that and if I can see the NPCs I can mentally calculate how close I can get and therefore it is a known variable. The respawn rate however it so fast and invisible to the player that you never quite know when something you killed is about to pop back into existence and aggro on you as you are trying to move towards an objective.

Ads
Bloodlet

Post#9 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:59 pm

"Digging Deeper" quest. Dwarf Chapter 17. I challenge anyone who thinks respawn rate is fine to attempt to complete this quest solo with an appropriate level character.

catholicism198

Post#10 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:17 am

It's not necessarily a bad thing. If you've ever played Vanilla WoW you'll understand why.
10 minute respawn rate on quest mobs was insane...
Hargrim wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:13 am NPCs walking around are on my to do list.

Hopefully I don't come off as a major D, but I fail to see how that holds any truth what so ever.
You guys, not you specifically, nerfed exp gains into oblivion, especially group exp. Especially.
It wasn't until Azarael returned that exp gains for quests was buffed.