Recent Topics

Ads

Challenge for devs- mobs AI.

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Zxul

Challenge for devs- mobs AI.

Post#1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Since pve is getting a focus lately- one fond memory I have is GW1 mobs.

We all know how the pve in War looks like- mobs skills pretty much sum in "run to you, beat with melee".

Here are some typical behaviors of GW1 mobs that I remember:

My team attacking some mob dwarfs. Dwarf tanks instantly form a tank wall in front of healers and rdps, their rdps spam aoe on my team, their healers manage to keep every mob that my team focuses alive, while their necros raise every member of my team that dies as zombie fighting for them within 0.1 sec or so of him dying.

My team dies except for an npc healer which we hired. She manages to kite the mobs chasing her, going to the area we died at then getting away again, while resurrecting my team 1 by 1 (she resurrected us all, and we managed to complete that mission).

My team runs into a pair of tank + healer Mursaat I think they were called mobs. With the entire team doing our best trying to focus, we still didn't manage to kill them. To clarify, mobs in GW1 used same abilities, and had same hp, as players- the npc healer managed, using exactly same abilities which pc healer has, to survive an repeated attempts of a fg to take him down. While most pc healers would die within a few seconds in same situation.

And as a rule, most GW1 mobs had at the basic instinct level "run instantly out of aoe dmg area".

From personal experience, I would say npcs there used same abilities as players better then 90% or so of players that I run into.

So here is a challenge- make mobs in RoR behave the same way. So for example the next time order goes to farm some DE mobs, instead of "run to pcs- beat on them", mob BGs will put guard on mob healers, 3 mob sorcs will time rotations together on order healers, while some other mob will run to nearest aoe cannon to use it on order team.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Ads
Natherul
Former Staff

Re: Challenge for devs- mobs AI.

Post#2 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:00 pm

we have much on our plates already and while it would be cool to try and implement we have other things that needs work