Recent Topics

Ads

Terrain in the RvR zones

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
adamthelc

Terrain in the RvR zones

Post#1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:19 pm

I think the terrain throughout the game, but especially in the RvR zones is lacking. It would be cool to actually have more terrain that mattered out there and I will gives some examples.

A legitimate forest. With trees that block line of site and thick enough that you cant see out if you are in and you cant see in if you are out.

Swamp/Marsh/Bog Wouldnt dismount you, but while you are in it you are snared.

Rocky/dangerous ground Anyone in this are would have an increased chance to be crit or take more crit damage.

Dont know if its doable or feasible because of how long it would take, but I think it could be good for multiple reasons.

Could require thought to maneuvering instead of unstoppable zerging. Might be able to think of something that allows a well played smaller force to defeated a larger force. Something like a forest could benefit melee while something like a bog could help ranged.

I think it could make RvR more dynamic and also add a little tabletop element to the game.

Plus there is a surprising lack of real forests in this game.

Ads
Luuca

Re: Kind of Boring

Post#2 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:43 pm

while I understand your desire for more terrain variance, as well as conditional terrain modifiers, the terrain in RoR (similar to Live) is actually the 3rd faction. It has more RvR and PvE kills than all the players combined already. Buffing the terrain with increased crit chance and a perma-snare would make the terrain way too overpowered.

You could advocate for the terrain on the balance forums I suppose. I'm sure it would take precedence over and be considered before any meaningful changes to Order classes in ORvR... so there's that going for you.

adamthelc

Post#3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:41 am

I detect sarcasm, but will respond seriously anyway. It's just a BS idea I dont think it will actually happen.

I dont really care about the latter 2, they were just ideas.

A forest would be cool. Break line of sight to heals, make mdps relatively stronger, cut down on battlefield awareness and give a smaller group a better chance. The only problem is group heal. Maybe make group heal have decreased range in a forest, but that's probably not realistic.

nebelwerfer

Post#4 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:08 am

Heh I absolutely agree with you OP, maybe not exactly the stuff you mentioned, but the thrilling and immersive moments that comes to mind when reading this are for example escaping a band of Greenskins through the tall roots in Marshes of Madness. They are actually designed so you can just barely manage through them, which I htink is incredibly cool.

More strategic strongpoints of ambush or defense, ways the map itself can encourage prolonged fights or indecisive skirmishes is welcome IMO. Marshes of Madness / Barak Varr are excellent at this, with rivers, big twisting trees and tall hills allowing ambushes. All the good advantages of terrain you can think of . )

HAve a hard time seeing it happen anytime soon though :V

Onemantankwall

Post#5 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:27 am

the server can barely hold us on a flat surface but sure lets load 1000s of more trees in the zone why not!
Lots of alts, more alts for the alt gods!

Glorian

Post#6 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:22 am

In one of the T3 Elf RvR zones there is a forest on order left side if ye move in. Can't remember the zone. And it is a hellish are for any rdps that doesn't only have instant attacks.

Rockalypse
Former Staff

Post#7 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:22 am

Onemantankwall wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:27 am the server can barely hold us on a flat surface but sure lets load 1000s of more trees in the zone why not!
Well, Idea itself is good, if devs can implement it in working fashion with current recources or by gaining better server, I am all for it.

DanielWinner

Re: Terrain in the RvR zones

Post#8 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:41 am

The topic has been renamed.
Ripliel - Shadow Warrior.
Riphael - Black Guard.

Very Serious Warhammer Online Montage
Spoiler:
Gotcha

Ads