Recent Topics

Ads

Displaying/Tracking Tank Mitigated Damage in SCs

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Aethilmar

Displaying/Tracking Tank Mitigated Damage in SCs

Post#1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:24 pm

Does the server currently track damage mitigated by tanks (via guard/challenge)?

If so, would it be possible to add to the scoreboard in SCs?

Motivation: SW:TOR basically lifted most of the combat mechanics of this game, including guard and challenge. However, they added the amount of damage mitigated by tanks as a scoreboard element at the end of their scenarios. I always found it satisfying (or horrifying as the case may be) to see how much or little damage I mitigated during the SC. Also had the benefit of providing a stat by which tanking could be judged other than "feels".

Ads
Natherul
Former Staff

Re: Displaying/Tracking Tank Mitigated Damage in SCs

Post#2 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:25 pm

server does not actively track it currently however thats a minor thing to add. HOWEVER adding a new element to the scorescreen is a lot more tricky and as such dont get your hopes up on getting it added anytime soon.

Manatikik

Post#3 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:23 pm

Natherul wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:25 pm server does not actively track it currently however thats a minor thing to add. HOWEVER adding a new element to the scorescreen is a lot more tricky and as such dont get your hopes up on getting it added anytime soon.
I’m sure you had the server track it someone could alter enemy’s scoreboard to show it far easier than the game’s.
<Montague><Capulet>

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#4 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Manatikik wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:23 pm
Natherul wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:25 pm server does not actively track it currently however thats a minor thing to add. HOWEVER adding a new element to the scorescreen is a lot more tricky and as such dont get your hopes up on getting it added anytime soon.
I’m sure you had the server track it someone could alter enemy’s scoreboard to show it far easier than the game’s.
When I say adding element to scorescreen I also mean the part of editing the packet with the relevant information to the client.

rmpl

Post#5 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:22 pm

not worth spending so much time just to stroke tanks ego, after some time you can analyse your video recordings and decide whether you had done well or not. damage mitigated is a bad way to measure tanks input in a scenario, there are some things that you just cant measure

Aethilmar

Post#6 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:55 pm

rmpl wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:22 pm not worth spending so much time just to stroke tanks ego, after some time you can analyse your video recordings and decide whether you had done well or not. damage mitigated is a bad way to measure tanks input in a scenario, there are some things that you just cant measure
You are, of course, welcome to your opinion. But by that logic why have any scoreboard representation at all for heals or damage?

It is a statistic. What is done with it could be used for bad or good.

Aethilmar

Post#7 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:57 pm

I appreciate the response. I figured it would be low priority even if it was readily available, but worth asking. :)

Gangan

Post#8 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:25 am

Aethilmar wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:55 pm (...)
You are, of course, welcome to your opinion. But by that logic why have any scoreboard representation at all for heals or damage?

It is a statistic. What is done with it could be used for bad or good.
You're right about statistics, on most cases it's used for the bad im sc. Blaming healer or dps for "not doing their job" because of low sc-stats, while you can't see what the reasons behind this are.

Those stats are in most cases irrelevant. E.g. Talabec sc, a big blob brawl in the middle, des pushing to the orders spawn, (without killing that much), an order sneaks through takes the bomb and runs. I intercept them with my SH, snare, kick and so on till the bomb blows.
At the end of the SC I will have lets say 20k dmg while those spawn-fighter will be at 200k+. But this tells nothing about the fact what happens in the SC. Or simple ST-dps vs. AoE-dps.

Sometimes I indeed would like to know how many dmg I soaked on my blorc, but that's just for fun and I don't want to have it on any statboard, because it would end in the same drama. "You're a bad tank because you took only x amount of guard dmg, blabla...."

Tldr: Stats are irrelevant in SC so we don't need more^^ (while more important stuff is to be done)
Pächter des Wahnsinns
Gangan - SH 75 .... Blumnmoscha - BO 63
Scophis - Zealot 73 .... Drengur - WP 64
Iznogoud - Sham 50+ .... Bixo - Engie 50+
Apogemoth - Magus 40+ .... Loarelle - AM 65
originating from Drakenwald

Ads
Ramasee

Post#9 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:44 pm

Reminds of cleansing for my RBG team in WoW, which recount add-on would measure. I had to explain to the team captain/guild leader as head of healer core that it wasn't the number of cleanses per match that mattered and more about what was cleansed.
Wow had/has different cleansing mechanics than here.

It took quite a few months to convince that what we were doing was correct, and I had to go through match footage with him to show him this.

That's why scenario boards are generally poor measures of actual performance.