Recent Topics

Ads

[AM] Class Mechanic Tweak

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
peterthepan3

Re: [AM] Class Mechanic Tweak

Post#51 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:46 pm

My comment was in response to Telen, who says that DPS AMs roll a DPS AM to do both healing and damage (which I disagreed with, citing my own experience picking the class as a DOT DPS caster).

CC is not the same as damage and healing, my friend, and a DPS AM also has access to such forms of CC as instarez, aoe stat debuff, and AP drains (to name just a few). If you can please find where I stated that RPs should only ever spam heal, I would be very grateful.

#StrawmanningItUp #fanboi

Ads
bloodi
Suspended

Post#52 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:01 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:46 pm My comment was in response to Telen, who says that DPS AMs roll a DPS AM to do both healing and damage (which I disagreed with, citing my own experience picking the class as a DOT DPS caster)..
Yes and then you replied to me when i was talking about the change to the mechanic for healing ams, because turns out that since you dont want to weave as dps am, then we cant have nice things as isha/vaul am.

If you dont want to cast heals as a dps am even if the mechanic would help you doign so, cool, the **** dont but the entire healing side of the class, the other 2/3, cant function properly until they are able to land their spells.

So, do whatever you want with your dps am, we are talking about how to make the rest of the class work with what they have now.

Ah, drop the hashtags also, you look like a tool enough without using them.

peterthepan3

Post#53 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:19 pm

"Well turns out we cant actualyl have a mechanic that makes you able to weave attack spells into your healing because those two dont want to use heals when they are damage specced.

What a pity, we almost got it and they strike us down."

I replied to you because you made a strawman dig against me (as is in your nature to do so).

You simply aren't relevant enough for me to bother engaging with/worth the time, otherwise.

Luuca

Post#54 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 pm

The point of my post was to try and make the class mechanic points useful for the off-spec instead of sitting at 5 useless stacks of force as a Heal spec AM or 5 points of Tranq on a DOS AM.

My point, Peter, was not that DPS AMs should focus on healing. My point was at some point, there should be some beneficial way for the DPS AM to use the 5 stack of Tranq points in the class mechanic instead of ignoring them. If a DPS am can use a 5-satck of Tranq for a quicker, more powerful heal, it may not mean anything at all aside from allowing them to build a few points of Force to get a faster, less disruptible dps magical attack.

All of you have pretty much convinced me that AMs should just ignore the class mechanic and play as pure DPS or Pure Heals... no way to make a true hybrid spec worthwhile or make the class mechanic helpful or matter.

Lock the thread.

peterthepan3

Post#55 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:44 pm

Luuca wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 pm

My point, Peter, was not that DPS AMs should focus on healing.
Sorry mate, that wasn't aimed at you, and I didn't mean to derail.

Diomedes8183

Post#56 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:35 pm

I could be missing the point here and this may have been suggested already but what if AM had an ability akin to the SM sudden shift where you take your built up high magic and shift it either from dps to heal. The CD would have to be longer than Sudden Shifts but the mechanic would be interesting and allow you to react to quickly changing situations.

Sulorie

Post#57 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:58 pm

Diomedes8183 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:35 pm I could be missing the point here and this may have been suggested already but what if AM had an ability akin to the SM sudden shift where you take your built up high magic and shift it either from dps to heal. The CD would have to be longer than Sudden Shifts but the mechanic would be interesting and allow you to react to quickly changing situations.
This result would be quite easy to imagine.
Dps AM casts 5 heals before the fight starts, casts 5 boosted damage spells, casts 5 non-boosted damage spells and builds 5 power charges. Shifts all power charges to tranquility and starts the cycle again with 5 boosted damage spells.

You would do the same on heal spec with only one exception, you don't start the fight with power charges.

This sadly doesn't help us here.
Dying is no option.

bloodi
Suspended

Post#58 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:03 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:19 pmI replied to you because you made a strawman dig against me (as is in your nature to do so).

You simply aren't relevant enough for me to bother engaging with/worth the time, otherwise.
And you got a dig against you because for some reason, you have to come into the thread to remind everyone how cool you think you are.

So, instead of derailing the thread by coming to tell us all how true players should play, which is something no one ever argued against, try to come up with something that may make the mechanic worthwhile for you as a dps am, i already told you why i would want as healing am, the ability to be able to cc and debuff without gettind "disrupt".

And while you are at it, look up what a strawman is, you doofus.

Ads
Diomedes8183

Post#59 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:11 pm

Sulorie wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:58 pm
Diomedes8183 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:35 pm I could be missing the point here and this may have been suggested already but what if AM had an ability akin to the SM sudden shift where you take your built up high magic and shift it either from dps to heal. The CD would have to be longer than Sudden Shifts but the mechanic would be interesting and allow you to react to quickly changing situations.
This result would be quite easy to imagine.
Dps AM casts 5 heals before the fight starts, casts 5 boosted damage spells, casts 5 non-boosted damage spells and builds 5 power charges. Shifts all power charges to tranquility and starts the cycle again with 5 boosted damage spells.

You would do the same on heal spec with only one exception, you don't start the fight with power charges.

This sadly doesn't help us here.
What if the shift ability was on say a 30 second CD. Within the CD you could go back and forth normally before the CD is up again. Could also limit it's use to when you've built up 5 of either side. This would make the result you pointed out above come up once per minute and keep it from being the standard way of doing things. It doesn't solve the inherent issue with the AM mechanic but it does offer some flexibility.

Full disclosure I'm only at 38 on the AM as of now so my words don't hold much weight. The way I play now in groups is I focus offense then unload healing when the healers need it for themselves since we can quick cast when boosted. It's not ideal I know but it's how I can recognize when to shift to healing without screwing over either my dps or heals entirely. Consequently my healing numbers are usually pretty low and at 38 my damage is negligible so I'm running more utility dps then full blown dps.

The only other thing I could suggest is to redo the entire mechanic but I don't have any good ideas towards that at the moment.

anarchypark

Post#60 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:01 pm

Telen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:23 pm
Mythics unimplemented plan also had either mechanic points boost lifetaps.
I thought it was a bland idea personally and treaded on other class mechanics toes.

this is interesting.
means lifetaps always getting bonus. depend on which mechanic point.
more heal or more strikethrough.
to build mechanic you have to use traditional skills.
and lifetap always spend points.

about the mechanic.
i think current system is forcing you to juggling.
often it's luxury in chaotic battle.
so mechanic is ignored, end up 5 stack.
you have to spend 5 stacks to juggling again.

original system was reflecting build up style.
focus important things while build up.
use it when u need it.
but bonus was too low.

current mechanic has more use IMO.
don't need build up time.
juggling is excellent. without it you still benefit.

restrict more heal, more strikethrough only to lifetaps?
if it's OP for straight spec.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)