Recent Topics

Ads

Invader farming and the consequences

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Rockalypse
Former Staff

Re: Invader farming and the consequences

Post#51 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:03 pm

If we talk about fort QoL update - another way to do it will be adding siege weapons, may be not like Keep, but, for example tie amount of stationary siege spawned to defenders and attackers based on who have held more flags during second stage. Will be interesing to have aoe/st cannons that way. Oil, on other hand, will probably make forts far more difficult (if not impossible) to capture though.
Or regenerating postern door that you need to break and keep damaging so portal stays open.

These or similar kind of changes, that add something but 45 min funnel would be step in right direction.

Ads
Hienzwar

Post#52 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:19 pm

Diggot wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:29 am
Losing your pairing should give no rewards (and xrealming needs a lockout timer).
Same issues in live, couldn't agree more.

Hargrim
Developer

Post#53 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:20 pm

Hienzwar wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:19 pm
Diggot wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:29 am
Losing your pairing should give no rewards (and xrealming needs a lockout timer).
Same issues in live, couldn't agree more.
And when defender faction is outnumbered people just log out. Think before you post.

Aethilmar

Post#54 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 pm

Hargrim wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:33 am
Aethilmar wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:12 pm BTW, this is exactly what happened with Cities on Live except there people shopped open instances to get their gear. It was totally predictable and as long as you tie a specific end-game reward to a specific game mode it will only encourage more of this behavior.

And what's the clear answer to that? Universal currency and as long as you do what you like you will eventually end up with endgame gear?
TL;DR version is yeah, probably.

Longer version ... I wish I had a good answer for you. A lot of games wrestle with this and usually poorly. I think GW2 has a reasonable approach for rewarding participation in the core WvW mode while not giving the most organized and driven players a way to completely overpower the newbies via gear. They also have a relatively flat gear curve though which is not the direction this game is going at the moment.

However, I know what the current path is doing in that it encourages meta-gaming of the core game play (i.e. zone caps to reach the current endgame loot) and where it leads. The people exploiting the zones will eventually get their gear and then start farming the newbies which will force you to pull the newbies up with "free" gear to keep them semi-competitive. In the meantime it will lead to the next wave of players learning that the zones are merely to be bypassed on the way to the "end game" and effectively leave them abandoned or as "fly over" country that people rush through to get their goodies from the chosen end-game mode.

phononHYPE

Post#55 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:21 am

I really like the idea of having short grace period after doors go down without going to jail. Currently, as mentioned, it pretty much guarantees everyone heads inside at 20-30%, giving ample time for attackers to control all the BOs.

And as an aside, does controlling x/5 BOs effect anything, because it seems like one big mery-go-round. A fun one and one of the better parts of it, but none the less. If there were some reason to stay out of the inner walls, I think that would be good for the experience.

Next, I am okay with long grinds, not too bad if you get to try out strategies and such. While I don't intend to return with my choppa to the forts once done, my shaman I think would for sure. Being melee in there is rough (at least on Dest side), all I see is "LFM tanks, heals, aoe or ranged aoe".

I feel good in Lord room defense, at least I can contribute single target damage on the tanks pushing in or WL pouncing to healers.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

Hargrim
Developer

Post#56 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:22 am

Aethilmar wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 pm TL;DR version is yeah, probably.

Longer version ... I wish I had a good answer for you. A lot of games wrestle with this and usually poorly. I think GW2 has a reasonable approach for rewarding participation in the core WvW mode while not giving the most organized and driven players a way to completely overpower the newbies via gear. They also have a relatively flat gear curve though which is not the direction this game is going at the moment.

However, I know what the current path is doing in that it encourages meta-gaming of the core game play (i.e. zone caps to reach the current endgame loot) and where it leads. The people exploiting the zones will eventually get their gear and then start farming the newbies which will force you to pull the newbies up with "free" gear to keep them semi-competitive. In the meantime it will lead to the next wave of players learning that the zones are merely to be bypassed on the way to the "end game" and effectively leave them abandoned or as "fly over" country that people rush through to get their goodies from the chosen end-game mode.

Well, the gear curve will probably flatten soon, but we will see...

Onemantankwall

Post#57 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:40 am

Flatten? Dont we have 5 more sets to come out? Bastions close
Lots of alts, more alts for the alt gods!

Scrilian

Post#58 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:08 am

"Think of the newbies" and the gear curve boogeyman all over again. Quick, someone mention Doomflayer and Warpforged :mrgreen:

Please, don't tell me that's the already rather mediocre procs, a bit of extra stats per ilvl and negligible armor increase are going to be fattened even more.

TL;DR (coz I think I wrote quite a few walls of texts, that no one reads T_T, on this issue alone) - give players enough of power progression, an incentive to keep playing without making time spent feel wasted on almost arbitrary rewards, and also an inspiration for newer player to get that gear, after they had their ass handed to them ;)

Harsh, but it has to be done this way, current gear to stat ratio is already "equalized" as it is.
Вальтер Рыжий RU => Gaziraga BW, Valefar WL, Lovejoy
Retired
ex-Greenfire/Invasion RvR leader
Wonderful RvR music videos ;)

Ads
perche

Post#59 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:25 am

add invader medallions in the rvr zones, and let them drop from players of high reputation.
Perche choppa rr100 RIp
Dizparate squid rr100 Rip

Bayoneta vonsodomiten Dok
Froilan Borbon engi nerfed in last 2 patch.

Reesh

Post#60 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:36 am

perche wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:25 am add invader medallions in the rvr zones, and let them drop from players of high reputation.
Give me more of that son!
I need to see 2 warbands chasing ramble or chinesehero to the edge of the map.

It's already happening, but it'd be even more vicious and entertaining to watch.