Recent Topics

Ads

Improving the 6v6 scene

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Mepharees

Improving the 6v6 scene

Post#1 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:18 pm

Hey everyone. First off, I'd like to thank the team for the work they put in their free time, you're awesome!
I'm Halta, a healer for <Montague>, you might know me from the 6v6 tournament video I posted a week ago.
This post is aimed at providing a decent suggestion as to how the smallscale scene can flourish.

The interest is definitely there
Thanks to Markon's 6v6 tournaments, the people that tuned into Twitch to watch has been increasing with every subsequent one, peaking with the latest on 13/4 at around ~400 concurrent viewers or more! This has the potential to increase further with more tournaments.

Main Issue
What's not as great is that the playstage was vague at best, with arbitrary and constantly shifting borders; all the while spectators were running behind the teams to even be able to watch the action. Now, this is not Markon's fault at all, but there are a couple solutions.

A proposal
I've been looking around the zones to find a suitable "arena" that fits all the criteria:
  • Playstage size with enough room for kiting
  • clear and seperate spectator space
  • Reminiscent visuals of a pit/arena/coliseum
The best match is the Dragonwatch public quest building at the top-right of Caledor.

It should be feasible to copy/paste this building to a remote location that does not disrupt gameplay such as the unused island next to Shining Way, so tournaments and open scrims can be played on:
Spoiler:
With a little bit of work, such as placing trainers, balcony portals for spectators, and invisible walls on the balconies to prevent punts and people dropping in, you have something here.

In addition to this, you can also have an aura when entering the main arena that makes you attackable by the same faction (free-for-all), so people can fight teams of the same faction (grouped=friendly).

Conclusion
I don't want to make this post too long. I hope the team realises that there is potential in spending a bit of dev time for this.
If there is enough time to make a wyvern egg event, there's definitely time to help with gaining new players and sustaining current ones. Besides, something like this used to exist in the past but got scrapped for no reason.

Thank you and have a great evening everyone!
Last edited by Mepharees on Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
gerard86

Re: Improving the 6v6 scene

Post#2 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:24 pm

sounds like a fantastic idea !

Toonman

Post#3 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:45 pm

I'm not gonna pretend I know how much work would need to go into something like that, but the idea is awesome.

oaliaen

Post#4 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:34 pm

nice idea but no fun when only one side dominates the tournaments. We have the duels and thats a good thing right now, but i would say lets fix the classes before :roll:

peterthepan3

Post#5 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:44 pm

oaliaen wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:34 pm nice idea but no fun when only one side dominates the tournaments. We have the duels and thats a good thing right now, but i would say lets fix the classes before :roll:
LoB won the tournament with a DPS Shaman/Mara comp, so no one side is dominating these tournaments. Last tournament was dominated by Order, you are correct, but it's worth noting that: a) there was only one full guild 6-man on Destro (the second Destro team was a pick-up group), and b) I don't think anyone was expecting to come up against such a potent healer-killer comp as the WL/MSW, so the element of surprise played heavily if you ask me.

Detangler

Post#6 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:22 pm

IC has the best arena in the game. Copy and paste that and make it a 6v6 scenario with no gimmicky flags or objectives. True deathmatch mode. First to 24 kills or whatever.

Or copy and paste it to a new zone as a side to a t4 zone so all can watch from the stands
Detangler and alts - 84 Chosen, other 40s - DoK, Zealot, SH, WE, BG, BO
Destro - Mostly Harmless
Tangler and alts - 8X IB, other 40s - RP, SM
Order - Most dishonorable

Scrilian

Post#7 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:43 pm

Detangler wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:22 pm First to 24 kills or whatever.
That would take hours to complete at the rate at which the kills are happening there.
Вальтер Рыжий RU => Gaziraga BW, Valefar WL, Lovejoy
Retired
ex-Greenfire/Invasion RvR leader
Wonderful RvR music videos ;)

adamska2

Post#8 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:11 pm

Awesome Job Halta ! I can not wait to read the answers of the dev :D
Azeyune

Ads
Natherul
Former Staff

Post#9 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:51 pm

currently the only way to do this would be to lift the object of the buildings in the area and place them elsewhere where its not currently occupied and then make it possible to get there.

The first part of that is not a simple task. Simply put its not that we are against the idea permanently but we have bigger issues to tackle right now.

larsulu
Suspended

Post#10 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:18 pm

Oh nice idea !!
decimo marauder
larsulu zealot
norsemanherra wp
stormurfru dok