The Level 16+ Experience on the Server

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Dancyn

Re: The Level 16+ Experience on the Server

Post#21 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:07 pm

Scottx125 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:20 pm If you RvR or SC from 16-40 as your primary leveling method, expect it to take WEEKS. If you want to get from 16-40 fast, grind PVE mobs. Not fun but it'll get you there in a few days. Pick up your ruin set and then start PVPing. Sure you'll lack RR but it'll level up quickly.
It's a pvp game. It's always been an issue in this game.. Back in the official, you'd just tp your new character and someone from guild would power level u to 40 in a day. Or farm skaven veterans for hours alone.. Recommending people to grind on mobs and farm PVE gear in a massive pvp game just indicates the game has an poor XP/rr reward system in the first place. You SHOULD be leveling faster through PVP in a PVP game, if the game wants to be so special about its pvp. Too bad almost none of the MMO's get it.

You shouldn't be able to level faster through PVE in a PVP game. I've no idea why there's not a huge increase in both XP and renown at least till 40, it would make things way more smooth, especially since there is no t2-t3 RvR, you get stomped in T4 as low lvl newbie (despite stat boost, gear leap is big)

edit.

As someone who wants to play up to 20 hours a week max, i wont grind mobs because it's boring, i won't always find a group to do perfect scenarios, and i won't stay this weekend all day. What i will do is RvR, and since this was always the best, most promoted part of this game, giving it the least amount of XP was always a big "?" for me. Huge majority of the spiked players will probably be more or less casual like me, who just want to have fun with PvP and maybe mix things up later.
Last edited by Dancyn on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Aurandilaz

Post#22 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:13 pm

Dancyn wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:07 pm
Scottx125 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:20 pm If you RvR or SC from 16-40 as your primary leveling method, expect it to take WEEKS. If you want to get from 16-40 fast, grind PVE mobs. Not fun but it'll get you there in a few days. Pick up your ruin set and then start PVPing. Sure you'll lack RR but it'll level up quickly.
It's a pvp game. It's always been an issue in this game.. Back in the official, you'd just tp your new character and someone from guild would power level u to 40 in a day. You shouldn't be able to level faster through PVE in a PVP game. I've no idea why there's not a huge increase in both XP and renown at least till 40, it would make things way more smooth, especially since there is no t2-t3 RvR, you get stomped in T4 as low lvl newbie.
Pretty sure the RR gains here are 2-4x higher than on live + lot of extra rewards (forts+cities+etc). Even XP gain has been increased several times, people just then assume the new normal and it always feels "too slow pls buff".

Your leveling experience will vary depending on game knowledge, class knowledge, and whether you can actually perform well in PVP or not. If you expect to be carried, don't be surprised if others are not feeding you easy xp/renown.
PVP levelling is faster, assuming you can WIN vs enemies which is where the rewards come from, winning scenarios is absurd fast gains, ganking enemies with AgainstAllOdds buffs is even more stupid high gain potential. A premade of lowbies, anywhere between 16-39 can achieve a bunch of kills in open pvp or win scenarios, it just requires teamwork. (having to talk and coordinate with other people to win, absurd, yes!)

t. 15 rank 40 alts over the years

Hogtooth

Post#23 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:16 pm

Starx wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:58 pm Expecting new players to just form up sc premades is kinda idk man, and ya OS/lords is gonna probably also have a 6 man leveling group for mid tier scs but I almost feel bad about it bc its going to be a really shitty experience for order players.

It's not about ppl like you or me its about keeping new players around by making their experience better so we keep this population where its at. Amazing I can even find ppl to fight an scs popping even extremely late NA time.
I agree it's not about players like us and agree that having sc's pop consistently and a population of over 1k in late NA is something we've been lacking, I was just giving my point of view in how I found the game to be fun while leveling. I've leveled toons solo and it can be spirit crushing at times. In openness, I'm not one to pve, I find that tedious, so my point of view is from a PvP standpoint. I'm absolutely loving the influx of new players and hope that the majority will stick around long enough to find their place in the game. As far as premade setups, it doesn't have to be an op meta setup, even a "run what you brung" using Disc can be fun. What's always kept me coming back to play is the people and friends I've made in this game.

On the bright side, those mid tier premades level out fast to T4

Vestri Nex Est Meus Vita

Hogtooth (SL)40/47, Tramp (WL)40/72, Brassmonkey (IB)40/45, Haligan (BW)40/58
Myrmidons

Starx

Post#24 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:20 pm

BrownStar wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:00 pm I went into T1 yesterday and was blown away at the huuuge number of new players. I have been on the server for over 3 years and have never seen anything close to this.
I wouldn't mind a full character reset at this point to get everyone on the same level even though I have hundreds of hours invested in my toons. This and separation of the tiers provided consistent population would perhaps keep player retention and population at high levels we are seeing now.
There's no need for a wipe, the gap closers are pretty generous. You can very easily find yourself in full conq after hitting 40 which is good enough to not be considered fodder anymore. Then you are working towards invader, and eventually sov.

Dancyn

Post#25 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:24 pm

Aurandilaz wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:13 pm
Dancyn wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:07 pm
It's a pvp game. It's always been an issue in this game.. Back in the official, you'd just tp your new character and someone from guild would power level u to 40 in a day. You shouldn't be able to level faster through PVE in a PVP game. I've no idea why there's not a huge increase in both XP and renown at least till 40, it would make things way more smooth, especially since there is no t2-t3 RvR, you get stomped in T4 as low lvl newbie.
Pretty sure the RR gains here are 2-4x higher than on live + lot of extra rewards (forts+cities+etc). Even XP gain has been increased several times, people just then assume the new normal and it always feels "too slow pls buff".

Your leveling experience will vary depending on game knowledge, class knowledge, and whether you can actually perform well in PVP or not. If you expect to be carried, don't be surprised if others are not feeding you easy xp/renown.
PVP levelling is faster, assuming you can WIN vs enemies which is where the rewards come from, winning scenarios is absurd fast gains, ganking enemies with AgainstAllOdds buffs is even more stupid high gain potential. A premade of lowbies, anywhere between 16-39 can achieve a bunch of kills in open pvp or win scenarios, it just requires teamwork. (having to talk and coordinate with other people to win, absurd, yes!)

t. 15 rank 40 alts over the years
About RR you're probaly right, i don't mind if not being super fast since it's the main focus of the game for it to be a win/loss quality grow.

Other things, not so much. I'm usually top dmg/heal/KB as a veteran which turned casual, while scenarios might be well rewarded, RvR isn't. I spent 3 hours yesterday on lvl 16 WP, healing, doing dps, not dying once and haven't leveled up once (altdorf buff). Now in higher RvR, i don't even try with my current level. And doing ONLY pvp up to 40, from my experience, took me weeks. Also, you can't expect people to form premades as a main source of XP, so for me that's out of question. I can't join a guild because i don't play so as to offer stable hours to competetive people. AAO is also out of question when you're low level in t4, that won't do you much.

Conclusion: I'm playing casually with lots of experience, ex rr80, leveling is tedious for me, as it always was after T1-t2 if i didn't go to lotd or skaven farm and then RvR with my old guildmates with green gear/pve stuff that was also boring to get.

Aurandilaz

Post#26 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:41 pm

Dancyn wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:24 pm

About RR you're probaly right, i don't mind if not being super fast since it's the main focus of the game for it to be a win/loss quality grow.

Other things, not so much. I'm usually top dmg/heal/KB as a veteran which turned casual, while scenarios might be well rewarded, RvR isn't. I spent 3 hours yesterday on lvl 16 WP, healing, doing dps, not dying once and haven't leveled up once (altdorf buff). Now in higher RvR, i don't even try with my current level. And doing ONLY pvp up to 40, from my experience, took me weeks. Also, you can't expect people to form premades as a main source of XP, so for me that's out of question. I can't join a guild because i don't play so as to offer stable hours to competetive people. AAO is also out of question when you're low level in t4, that won't do you much.

Conclusion: I'm playing casually with lots of experience, ex rr80, leveling is tedious for me, as it always was after T1-t2 if i didn't go to lotd or skaven farm and then RvR with my old guildmates with green gear/pve stuff that was also boring to get.
it seems you are trying to solo level, in a group based online MMO, as a support class - and wondering why the progression is slow?
If you put on yourself various limitations that prevent normal/fast levelling progress, then it isnt the systems fault and it isnt certainly some hardcore journey from 16 to 40.
To the victorious go the spoils, and chances of getting fat loot increase by grouping together, so your party shares the xp/renown gained from kills/campaign rewards.

Dancyn

Post#27 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:48 pm

Aurandilaz wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:41 pm
Dancyn wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:24 pm

it seems you are trying to solo level, in a group based online MMO, as a support class - and wondering why the progression is slow?
If you put on yourself various limitations that prevent normal/fast levelling progress, then it isnt the systems fault and it isnt certainly some hardcore journey from 16 to 40.
To the victorious go the spoils, and chances of getting fat loot increase by grouping together, so your party shares the xp/renown gained from kills/campaign rewards.
By solo leveling you mean staying in warbands 24/7? I'm always in a warband and the xp is non existant in pub wb's. If a journey from just PVP from 16-40 doesn't take you a week or two at least, god bless you must be unstoppable.

edit. Also im talking big picture here. Most people won't queue as party anywhere, so if you can have them level up from pvp just in 3-5 days, everyone would benefit from that. There's just no point in making people suffer through RvR after level 16 IMO, and that's where the fun is. Imagine giving enormous boost to RvR experience - everyone would do it instead of PQs, questing, or even scenarios. I would at least propose it to be equal of succesful winning scenario xp growth, so that SC's won't die out. (and i think they won't anyway because small scale battles is a different feel and people like to mix both)

Wirne

Post#28 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:56 pm

My new player experience is that rvr feels very unrewarding. From t2 up it seems very much like gw2 wvw where you run around for 90 % of the time and then zerg or get zerged. I did 20 scenarios today and as destro we won 2 so thats 10 % win chance. The quest reward for winning is nice xp boost but locking most of the "reward" behind it is strange, especially how critical the first offensive feels in many scenarios. If you havent won by the first minute, the chances go down very fast after that. Pve is as was standard for games from this era, tedious. This is a private server for an old game so I dont know how much I can complain, but still theres some reason why you have wanted new players in this game and this is my experience.

Ads
Dancyn

Post#29 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:07 pm

^ this

2008 mmo market is different than now, people don't want very slow progress especially now. People want to hit big levels fast like in BDO or Guild wars 2 and not get 1 hit killed, many will come after lazy peon review, if the game could at least adapt the XP boost. Combat is still very outdated and some people will drop just because of that for sure, you can't fight that but you can increase RvR XP by 100% or 200% for a start.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#30 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:15 pm

Dancyn wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:07 pm ^ this

2008 mmo market is different than now, people don't want very slow progress especially now. People want to hit big levels fast like in BDO or Guild wars 2 and not get 1 hit killed, many will come after lazy peon review, if the game could at least adapt the XP boost. Combat is still very outdated and some people will drop just because of that for sure, you can't fight that but you can increase RvR XP by 100% or 200% for a start.
We are not boosting XP rates to join the current age of MMO's. We're happy to see new people coming in, but in the end the expectation is really around retaining the players who get hooked on the core gameplay loop. If missing out on super fast modernized leveling is a deal breaker for you, we totally understand.

It sounds like you're still very new and not aware of how to take advantage of the bolster system in RvR. There's learning to be done, and you can certainly be competitive in the 16-39 range of levels. Pushing you faster to 40 doesn't solve being able to learn and adapt to systems to have the most advantage from them.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog