Recent Topics

Ads

Thoughts on armor appearance changes

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Grunbag
Former Staff

Re: Thoughts on armor appearance changes

Post#11 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:12 pm

Grock wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:49 pm Lost a bunch of appearances on Slayer and cool shoulder looks (that were on merc) on other classes as well, pretty disappointing.
I was just about to finish collecting ingame appearances of Slayer T4 artworks, and now i can't complete the collection because some pieces were lost. Also im missing one artwork and was hoping to restore it ingame by comparing to the one i have, but the parts i needed are now gone.

Doing a blanket reversal to Mythic file names isn't a good idea because mythic file names didn't always follow the artworks in the first place. Plus it cancels all the previous work done choosing appearances for different sets, like why.
The only thing that made sense is taking Doomflyer away from Conq and putting it on higher-lvl gear.

The only "rework" that would've made sense is artwork-based one, trying to reconstruct original sets as they were intended to be and then using excess shoulders/helmets to add some customization to higher rank gear.

As for "alt sovereign" i can tell you for sure that for Slayer the "alt sov helm shoulderes" have different style than actual Sovereign and don't really fit the rest of the set. It even has different specular tint, greenish one, and unlike Sov you can actually dye the fleshy part.
And based on what i hear from other players its also the case for other sets as well.

p.s. now i need to grind the same helmet appearance again, just to look like my avatar... after already grinding it last two years, because the first time someone decided to remove it from the game when i was like 10 tokens until buying it... can't wait for it to be moved to LotD gear next year to grind it a fourth time
When I say files name I don’t talk about the mythic set or piece names ingame .

Items models are labeled by tier . For exemple , the T5 sets (conq / sentinel / darkpromise / invader) are named 05 , 05_A , 05_B , 05_C and 05_D. So helm 05_A is meant to be used with shoulder 05_A , 05_B with 05_B etc . This names are based on the artwork design . This is what I am trying to achieve .

For sovereign , it’s labeled in T6 gear as 06 . Sov Alt is labeled 06_A.

This is for helm and shoulders . Mythic didn’t created a unique body / gloves / boots and belt for each tier set . So there is no 05_A body or 05_C body . All t5 set were meant to be use with the 05 body / boots / gloves and belt .
Same for sovereign who share the 06 body / glove / boots / belt / cloak and have helm and shoulders different for main and alt sov .

You can check the gear artwork on google .
Grunbag - 40 - 33 Squig Herder
Skorri - 40 - 65 Engineer

Ads
Rhia

Post#12 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:46 pm

2)Players investment in looks. Players do not only invest time in creating their style. They invest gold, reward choices from PQs, the spending of hard earned crests. By changing just about every set look in the game, those monthly - even yearly investments, go down the drain. If the devs are not considering reverting or reworking this change, they should for sure consider allowing a 1-2 week window through which players can sell their gear back to the vendors for a full refund of their worth in crests/tokens.

^ This , from since i started playing 5 years ago...... The majority reason i even played was to collect appearances / skins / style characters , to the extent i have 7 between rr60-73 for up to the old vanquisher / invader. Spent a LOT of time doing rvr / scens / t4 lairs / grinding both emblems & medallions & doing hidden little quests for unique pieces such as the shadow warrior scarf for WE - which also got removed, invader is changed , merc is changed , domi im not sure if its changed , conq & vanq are utter shite now. As stated by the OP , I was under the impression it was an April fools so simply ignored the game and didnt play it at all with the hope the aesthetics would return till Today with the exemption of 1 city. However its not reverted sadly.

Im simply awaiting the promised categorical list of updated skins so i can decide if its worth the actual time sink to make the characters i liked as they were again , or if its just axed my interest in the game.

Whilst i appreciate the effort and time / work that's gone into the game & continues to , making an even greater gap for something as simple as the fashion of pieces when the 1-39 gear with exemption of lairs was already pretty linear in terms of style is just a bit wank to quite honest.

Aurandilaz

Post#13 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:48 pm

Initial mistake was putting actual endgame gear looks into first T4 sets, butchering old live appearances to give fast easy access and cool looking Mercenary or Dominator and reward people with cool stuff as soon as they entered rank 40+.
Which obviously lead to the situation where by time Vanq was being made, many classes had run out of appearance gear to hand out, or had to resort to more and more shared looks. Further issues with Bloodlord + Invaders, all because the cool looks were already given to lower tier4 gear sets.
This should not have happened in first place, so we would not have current need to resort the mess. But IMO its good that its being resolved now, instead of waiitng for Darkpromise/Tyrant and realizing there is nothing left to give that would not already be in some newbie t4 gear set players already farmed fast in 2016.

People just need to calm down, wait for the rework, and then check where the best "fashion" is and maybe find themselves surprised if the best looks are only gained from higher endgame gearsets instead of doing scs for 3hours and then getting the cool looking Merc/Domi piece and deciding thats the highest level of fashion item...
Also you spend 99% of time in PVP looking at your class from behind, surely a terrible loss if your enemies now notice you being out of fashion when they see you from front.

flatfoot1987

Post#14 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:51 pm

When I saw some chat messages regarding armor model changes and people claiming that their T4 stuff looks like T1 equipment I was absolutely sure it's April fool's. Then I figured it's too much effort to do this all just for a short event.

Anyway, apparently now all obtainable (I'm being realistic about having 4-5 active toons, none of em goes past rr5x anytime soon) stuff looks like vendor trash. I do understand the idea it's wrong to give top appearance for middle grade gear but there must be some balance I guess. Right now I'm grateful I have my vast collection of T4 lair items and PVE influence gear which still looks okay
Murdock - Marauder
Gromyka - IB
Agnostic - WP

Mistdancer

Post#15 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:02 pm

Aurandilaz wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:48 pm Initial mistake was putting actual endgame gear looks into first T4 sets, butchering old live appearances to give fast easy access and cool looking Mercenary or Dominator and reward people with cool stuff as soon as they entered rank 40+.
Which obviously lead to the situation where by time Vanq was being made, many classes had run out of appearance gear to hand out, or had to resort to more and more shared looks. Further issues with Bloodlord + Invaders, all because the cool looks were already given to lower tier4 gear sets.
This should not have happened in first place, so we would not have current need to resort the mess. But IMO its good that its being resolved now, instead of waiitng for Darkpromise/Tyrant and realizing there is nothing left to give that would not already be in some newbie t4 gear set players already farmed fast in 2016.

People just need to calm down, wait for the rework, and then check where the best "fashion" is and maybe find themselves surprised if the best looks are only gained from higher endgame gearsets instead of doing scs for 3hours and then getting the cool looking Merc/Domi piece and deciding thats the highest level of fashion item...
Also you spend 99% of time in PVP looking at your class from behind, surely a terrible loss if your enemies now notice you being out of fashion when they see you from front.
There is no 1(one) initial mistake. There are many and consecutive. And yes mistakes happen. BUT, adopting the logic that regardless of how many mistakes or mishandles have been done in the past, people "just need to calm down" while another experimental move will wipe their time investment yet again, and then another and another, is a recipe for disaster. No, people do not need to calm down because they are not at fault in the first place. They invest time and they expect at least some semblance of continuity even in an alpha/WIP system. Even at this status this is not a laboratory. It is a pastime. We need to remember that.

In any case, everytime massive changes like this happen, people should be given the opportunity to get refunds on gear.

Rhia

Post#16 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:54 am

Invader & Warlord & Sov had their own skins before all this , & for the most part , furthering gear gap in t4 even more on a small population private server , with additional sets later down the line , seems as though it'd just cause an even bigger gap for anyone even remotely new to the game. I remember the days in ORVR being r25 + used to make you eligible for gold bags from keeps containing conq parts. Its a hell of a long road to sov from just making 40 even assuming you're sensible and get to rr50 at least by lvl40.

As for "it doesn't matter when you only see the back of your character" , That's all well and good , going by the assumption you don't overly care for appearance and have invested time because you enjoy the game mechanics instead but some of us have played with the motivation of collecting appearances, because that's what we enjoy.

DokB

Post#17 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:17 am

If the appearances are still available somewhere I don’t see the big deal. Sure, it sucks that people lost their favourite appearances when they got swapped around, but if you can still grind for it and if it’s still obtainable then whatever.

I would be more concerned if any of the chapter PQ INF rewards were changed to something possibly unique. I have already grinded most out on some characters and I would be really disappointed if I have potentially missed out on something unique due to already select a chapter reward.
Zoggof - Black Orc
Doinks - Ironbreaker
Leatherman - Blackguard

NSKaneda

Post#18 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:30 am

DokB wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:17 am I would be more concerned if any of the chapter PQ INF rewards were changed to something possibly unique. I have already grinded most out on some characters and I would be really disappointed if I have potentially missed out on something unique due to already select a chapter reward.
PQ inf rewards were, in fact, changed without resetting inf on PQs. There were unique pieces of armour, engie gloves and shoulders for squig herder for example (perfect "trophy taken from a fallen dawi" look), other classes got one or two set items from the other side as well (ch18 and 19) or same pairing other class pieces (shoulders and helms mostly) but they were all removed under pretence of "players got confused and recognized friendly/enemies by silhouette". Items got changed to generic skins, no refunds available.

And while we're on the topic of visual nerf - I'm reluctant to grind dungeon sets since patch notes say that "some of those items might've been changed too". For example: is it worth getting redeye shoulders for choppa for that bladed look? Or will it be changed when the skin is needed for some other set? Or maybe it has been changed already? Will BO sentinel helm skin remain the same or will it be changed? After all it now uses Invader skin from live. Magus conq helm and shoulders are old Darkpromise - will they get changed once LV comes to RoR?

I am one of the gear skin hunting, unique look loving, pixel motivated players. And I am a bit vexed.
(on the upside: I still get to play Warhammer so I'm on winning side anyway :) )
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

Ads
adapter
Suspended

Post#19 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:31 am

I wasted lots of Royal Crest on an appereance to just get it changed....
Kabuchop / Kabusquig / Kabuterimon / Tentomon

Grock

Post#20 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:29 am

Aurandilaz wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:48 pm Initial mistake was putting actual endgame gear looks into first T4 sets, butchering old live appearances to give fast easy access and cool looking Mercenary or Dominator and reward people with cool stuff as soon as they entered rank 40+.
It happened because the plan was to not have as many sets as we have now in order to reduce power creep.
Unfortunately the plan was later obviously thrown out the window and now we have rr80 in city sets completely stomping fresh 40s like in the good old days :\
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)