Recent Topics

Ads

[Feedback] City/T4 ideas (royals, throws, realm pride)

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
awmc82

[Feedback] City/T4 ideas (royals, throws, realm pride)

Post#1 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:03 pm

A few buddies and I have come back to the game around the start of March. Typically just sit on discord, have some beers, and roam. Throughout these months I have noticed (as I am sure others have) one huge problem while reading chat/forums: Cites.

As of right now there is more benefit (most of the time) to throwing forts and zones in order to get a higher city. This goes against the core gameplay of defending your territory/city. It also creates a huge divide between the player base: Realm prides vs. throwers. I 100% see each side's point of view. On the one hand the game should be played the way it was intended and to an extent it makes it more fun. Players SHOULD want to defend their territory/city. On the other hand, there IS more reward to throwing to get a city. This can be because you only have an hour to play and if this fort goes down you have time for a city...you don’t have time in four hours (time zones/work/life). OR this could be because you enjoy progression and as of right now there is no way to progress past a certain level of gear without cities (royals in gold/purple bags are nice but unrealistic to get gear).

There HAS to be a reason to defend zones and this should be one of the developers top priorities to bring the community together instead of having arguments in T4 chat on whether to throw or not. Below I have two ideas my buddies and I talked about.

CITY IDEA 1

Right now it benefits both sides to get a 5 star city even if it is your own (hence the throws). Why not make it to where you get the rewards based off your cities level when attacking the opposite factions city. For example:
  • Order are attacking IC
  • Aldorf is a 4 star; IC is a 2 star
  • Oder will get rewards from attacking IC with 4 star rewards (even though IC is 2 star) and destro will get rewards for 2 star.
  • If oder win, IC drops to 1 star again
I think this will help by encouraging each side to push zones instead of throwing since losing stars on your city means less overall loot for your faction. Make “realm pride” be about screwing over the other factions while bolstering your own.

CITY IDEA 2

Give a reward for actually taking the other side's city which will benefit your realm and MAYBE give a slight disadvantage to the opposing side. Some ideas for this are (would love to hear more than my own):
  • Winning side gets 10% more renown for 8 hours; losing side gets -10% renown for 8 hours (numbers can be adjusted)
  • Winning side gets x2 currency from bags for 8 hours; losing sides gets -10% renown for 8 hours
  • Winning side gets royals/invaders to drop from oRVR or considerably more from gold/purple bags for 8 hours; losers get -10% renown for 8 hours (MY FAVORITE and i’ll explain why below)
I think any of these options would work as an incentive to push zones/cities instead of throwing and giving “realm pride”. However, I believe the third idea is the best for two reasons:

Many people miss cities due to timezone, life, or work. This would give them the opportunity to get Royals even if not able to participate in the city (the 1 per gold/purple bag just isn’t enough). Many people only play the game because the ONLY thing they need are Royals. These “city loggers” as people call them don’t feel (from what I have read on forums and in-game chat) there is anything to gain from flipping zones. I 100% understand this, even if I don’t 100% agree with it. I only need Royals on my shaman and I still roam with my friend; however, it does feel pointless sometimes when you know you are not getting anything to progress your character. Giving a decent amount of Royals from zone flips might encourage a large amount of the player base who only play during the city to participate in the campaign.

With both of these ideas I see one fundamental problem and that is xrealming. Players will be drawn to the side with the most rewards (invader for last zone before fort a few patches ago as an example). As it stands, both of these ideas would only hurt the game as I think it would cause massive population imbalance if the current timer on switching sides goes unchanged. I think it would have to be raised to at least 24 hours OR you choose your realm on weekly reset (unless anyone has a better idea).

There are obviously flaws I did not see in either of these two ideas and would love some feedback. However, as it stands, I think these ideas would greatly increase the health of this game.

Ads
Tillbeast

Re: [Feedback] City/T4 ideas (royals, throws, realm pride)

Post#2 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:15 pm

City 2 idea may work but city 1 idea would just mean a permanent altdorf 5 and IC 1 due to just how good order are in keep defense with there numerical advantage with aoe classes.

dirnsterer

Post#3 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:07 pm

The one that brings out more salty tears in general in T4 / Region chat is the right choice.

anarchypark

Post#4 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:47 pm

awmc82 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:03 pm CITY IDEA 1

Right now it benefits both sides to get a 5 star city even if it is your own (hence the throws). Why not make it to where you get the rewards based off your cities level when attacking the opposite factions city. For example:
  • Order are attacking IC
  • Aldorf is a 4 star; IC is a 2 star
  • Oder will get rewards from attacking IC with 4 star rewards (even though IC is 2 star) and destro will get rewards for 2 star.
  • If oder win, IC drops to 1 star again
I think this will help by encouraging each side to push zones instead of throwing since losing stars on your city means less overall loot for your faction. Make “realm pride” be about screwing over the other factions while bolstering your own.
i was thinking same!
though who would attack with 2 star ? both will wait for 5 star.

maybe attackers always follow higher star. defenders always treat as lower star ?

attacking winner treat as higher rank. attacker loser follow their city rank.
defenders always treat as lower star.

for example, 2star destro attacking 5star altdorf.
attack winner gets 5star reward. attack loser gets 2star reward.
defense winner gets 2star reward. defense loser gets... even lesser reward.
maybe defense winner get +1 star bonus, max 4.
so 5star reward is only from attacking.

both side have reason to rank up. also reason to attack.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

BeautfulToad

Post#5 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:42 pm

Main issue is that if you want gear throwing would still make sense since sovs only drop at city. I dont really care about city stars.

Ideally, I would link small sov drops to characters' contributions across the entire campaign leading up to the city seige, so folk spending hours in rvr lakes (winning fights and getting rr) would still lead to a sov drop of some kind when the campaign finally resets after a city has fallen.

Would mean people dont need to log in for city or throwing forts is necessary for sov but no idea if it is feasible

awmc82

Post#6 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:59 pm

BeautfulToad wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:42 pm Main issue is that if you want gear throwing would still make sense since sovs only drop at city. I dont really care about city stars.

Ideally, I would link small sov drops to characters' contributions across the entire campaign leading up to the city seige, so folk spending hours in rvr lakes (winning fights and getting rr) would still lead to a sov drop of some kind when the campaign finally resets after a city has fallen.

Would mean people dont need to log in for city or throwing forts is necessary for sov but no idea if it is feasible
I'm still thinking if I like this idea. However, I believe the devs have made it pretty clear they want players to play the content which means cities have to be involved. Not sure if this would meet that standard.

awmc82

Post#7 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:00 am

dirnsterer wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:07 pm The one that brings out more salty tears in general in T4 / Region chat is the right choice.
Ha 100% agree

adapter
Suspended

Post#8 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:45 am

Your ideas promote xRealming and neverending stales too much.
Kabuchop / Kabusquig / Kabuterimon / Tentomon

Ads
awmc82

Post#9 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:12 am

adapter wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:45 am Your ideas promote xRealming and neverending stales too much.
Clearly you did not read as I did state in order for this to work xrealming would have to be curb in someway. I also do not want a stalemate but having a game where people are encouraged to throw is just as bad if not worse.

Fey

Post#10 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:50 am

X-realming is an issue, but city seiges in particular are heavily dependent on class set-up and gear. My group has been actively playing order lately because of the heavy destro presence. We simply cannot compete with our current gear. Even if we were a full guild WB.

Personally I'm burned out. I **** hate forts and the mindless group heal spam. Of course I hate city cause on Order we get relentlessly stomped. On destro it's the boring opposite. My guildmates are now finishing Vanq on the way to invader, and I just don't give a crap anymore.

Sad Old Salt.
Fley - Zealot Domoarigobbo - Shaman
Squid - Squig Squit - B.O.
Black Toof Clan