Recent Topics

Ads

[Bug] SW - Broadhead arrow damage timer restart when skills is triggered

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Omegus

Re: [Bug] SW - Broadhead arrow damage timer restart when skills is triggered

Post#11 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:11 pm

Manatikik wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:18 pm
Omegus wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:56 pm Or, you recast the moment it ticks damage. With the global cooldown being approx 1.5 seconds these abilities are made to do: BHA 1 -> something else -> (BHA 1 ticks) BHA 2 -> something else -> (BHA 1+2 ticks) BHA 3 to build up the damage slowly.

Only issue with that is every refresh brings it to the front to be cleansed so the longer it takes to apply the less layers it has to protect it and most of the time if you have used 6 GCD’s on a target and they aren’t dead it’s time to swap target.
Didn't realise it changed the cleanse order. that sucks :(. And yes the option is either spam it quickly and back-load the damage, or spread it out for a slower build. Against high HP stuff (city warlords/champs and PVE bosses) the slow build appears perfectly viable, especially with all the other dots coming in to help mask it.

edit: also, back-loaded is just as viable lol
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Ads
mryay

Post#12 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:31 pm

@orillah and @Manatikik I am a veteran of the game. Here you are making assumptions. But no worries here.
I know very well the mechanics of the game, I was ignoring though that it was a limitation of the game engine, hence it was flag as a "bug report" not a "balance suggestion".

I still maintain this mechanic is to be changed, this issue is an intrinsic limiting factor of the class damage output. From here I will add it to a list of change suggestions to the current state of the class.

Thanks, Swizz
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RoR: SW 82, AM Heal RR51
AoR: SW R87, BW/R60+, SM/40+, AM/R50+, WL/R60+, Slayer R40+, DoK/SH/Sorcerer R40+ (+others)

Manatikik

Post#13 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:29 pm

mryay wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:31 pm @orillah and @Manatikik I am a veteran of the game. Here you are making assumptions. But no worries here.
I know very well the mechanics of the game, I was ignoring though that it was a limitation of the game engine, hence it was flag as a "bug report" not a "balance suggestion".

I still maintain this mechanic is to be changed, this issue is an intrinsic limiting factor of the class damage output. From here I will add it to a list of change suggestions to the current state of the class.

Thanks, Swizz
I, mean, I guess you can consider yourself a veteran if you don't think veterans have to know: crit formula, how DoT's work, can't read tool tips of your skills, and don't know what the bug tracker is. I consider that someone who is new to the game, personally.
<Montague><Capulet>

drmordread
Suspended

Post#14 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:18 am

Manatikik wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:29 pm
mryay wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:31 pm @orillah and @Manatikik I am a veteran of the game. Here you are making assumptions. But no worries here.

Thanks, Swizz
I, mean, I guess you can consider yourself a veteran if you don't think veterans have to know: crit formula, how DoT's work, can't read tool tips of your skills, and don't know what the bug tracker is. I consider that someone who is new to the game, personally.
If you sit there and calculate crit formulas and other formulas before spec or play .... you got deeper problems than anything you have pointed out for the OP.
Morrdread Ladydread Kickyerbutt Tamorrah Whisperrss SutSut Amniell
Lolyou Tahw Fortuna Sarissa Yiorrrgos
(and eight more to keep you guessing)

Artwork

Post#15 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:49 am

Mordread,
There's a big difference between knowing everything about a class, and just rolling a class and playing. Most on the server just roll and play, and I agree with you - that's a perfectly fine way to approach things. When it comes to making multiple balance proposals though, I'd expect the person doing it to have a very solid grasp on the class they are proposing changes for. For example, you would be very capable of suggesting changes for a WH, whereas I wouldn't (I've played 4+ WH to 40 or 50 RR over the years, but I can't claim to be an expert, and thus I have never made a WH proposal.) Manatikik is just pointing out, correctly, that the OP doesn't really understand enough to make valid balance proposals or bug changes. Not a personal attack, but a reasonable point.

Darks63

Post#16 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:00 am

drmordread wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:18 am
Manatikik wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:29 pm

Thanks, Swizz
If you sit there and calculate crit formulas and other formulas before spec or play .... you got deeper problems than anything you have pointed out for the OP.
Its not like its some deep cyclopedian knowledge from lost city for cthulhu.
Tourist SW 40/50+<Zaxxed> Discotec 40/40+<IRONIC>

Former Pragg/Badlands Destro Iron Rock/Badlands Order player.

Grimfang
Suspended

Post#17 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:12 am

When you are a veteran of multiple mmos then you realise the limitations of systems.

Elemint

Post#18 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:31 am

drmordread wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:18 am If you sit there and calculate crit formulas and other formulas before spec or play .... you got deeper problems than anything you have pointed out for the OP.
There is no "calculating" going on. I don't know when knowing the basic mechanics has become optional for balance discussions

Ads
Knowthyself
Game Artist

Post#19 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:57 am

Snobs will snob no matter what is suggested here is logical in many ways or not. So, just ignore some names keep showing off their alleged expertise under every thread. I agree that broadhead arrow change is pointless due to fact the stacking keeps delaying the dmg tick and it is usually waste of AP since it is cleansable regardless of it is part of the game mechanic or not. I agree with OP. This change which was implamented as a supposed buff should be reconsidered.
Come On
Newgit
Knowthyself

dalen
Developer

Post#20 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:39 am

Manatikik wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:48 am
mryay wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:31 am Description: When your use skills Broadhead arrow, the damage does not start immediately since it is a dot. It is stackable. So when at some point you need to refresh or stack the effect of broadhead arrow, it restarts the damage timer and delays the damage.
Consequence: Loss of Damage Per Second, loss of effectiveness of the SW, higher cost of AP/DPS
Expected behavior: the damage is triggered every 3s, and the damage is based upon the number of stacks of BHA.

How to reproduce:
1. Apply BHA
2. Stack it 2 times
3. The first damage will occur 7.5s later instead of 3s (which is caused by 3s + 3*GCD)

How to reproduce 2:
1. Apply BHA
2. Wait until the first tick
3. Straight 1s after the tick, apply again BHA
4. The next tick will be pushed back by 1s, and increased by the number of stacks.

Thanks, Swizz

RoR DoT ticks are all on 3s intervals and not a global tick rate like other MMO’s, this is all intended.
Actually DoT tick interval is defined in the ability. 3s is the most common, but some abilities have a different interval.

But yes, reapplying the dot restarts time until next tick, which is the way it worked back on live. That is done on server though, so it's not an inherent engine limitation.
Source Developer