Recent Topics

Ads

Adding Protection to scoreboard

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Gravord

Adding Protection to scoreboard

Post#1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:46 pm

Id like to suggest adding new tab to scenario and city scoreboards: Protection. It would summarize tank efforts in preventing dmg taken by his team from: Guard, Challenge, m2 and m4. Ofc it doesnt show all the effort tank put into the game but it would be some basic overview of tank performance similar to current dps and heal scores.
Swtor is using it for a long time now. It looks like this:

Ads
dalen
Developer

Re: Adding Protection to scoreboard

Post#2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:48 am

This would be very nice to have indeed. For guard damage and potentially absorbed damage it would be fairly simple to add.

For damage reductions like Challenge, Immaculate Defense, Distracting Bellow etc, it would be a little bit more difficult however and require rewriting some code. Basically the buff system changes the stats based on those buffs/debuffs, then the combat system reads the stat values. But at that point there's no connection to the actual buffs that impacted the stats and who casted them.

Not impossible to fix, just something that would require a bit of work.
Source Developer

Drys

Post#3 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:56 am

Honestly, I'd say even adding just guard damage would be good. It might actually give tanks an incentive to guard if there was some kudos or recognition for it. Although I would say it would have to be total damage mitigated by guard, not just guard damage taken by the tank (e.g., guard damage taken + guard damage blocked/parried).
Spoiler:
Drystav - Magus 40/6X
Drysthex - Zealot 40/4X
Drystzyk - Chosen 40/5X
Drystax - Mara 24/2X

Drystal - WE 40/5X
Drystmar - DOK 40/4X
Drystelle - Sorc 40/7X
Drysthorn - BG 40/6X

Drystham - Shaman 40/4X
Drystig - SH 40/5X
Drystlak - BOrc 40/4X

emiliorv
Suspended

Post#4 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:29 am

dalen wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:48 am This would be very nice to have indeed. For guard damage and potentially absorbed damage it would be fairly simple to add.
This is enough to give visibitily to tanks work, for sure this will not show the 100% of the tanks work...but:
-Healing numbers dont show the 100% of a healer work (like ppl reced, dispels, absorbs, etc, etc...)
-Dps numbers dont show the 100% os a dps work (heal debuffs, other debuffs).

So imo, giving the info for guard damage absorbed will put tanks in same position as others in the scoreboard.

nuadarstark

Post#5 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:24 pm

I think "Damage mitigated/taken" or something like that would be an awesome thing to add to the scenario/instance window, even if it's just for guard dmg, absorb mitigation, etc.
Raid boss Salv WP Guernios - rr83, full Sov
DPS SnB SM Valianoris - rr81, full Sov

Gurf

Post#6 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:30 pm

Would be better to also include amount of block parried attacks etc if possible otherwise a tank with low block may look like he's doing a better job than one with high block as he's taken more damage

Gravord

Post#7 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:45 pm

dalen wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:48 am This would be very nice to have indeed. For guard damage and potentially absorbed damage it would be fairly simple to add.

For damage reductions like Challenge, Immaculate Defense, Distracting Bellow etc, it would be a little bit more difficult however and require rewriting some code. Basically the buff system changes the stats based on those buffs/debuffs, then the combat system reads the stat values. But at that point there's no connection to the actual buffs that impacted the stats and who casted them.

Not impossible to fix, just something that would require a bit of work.
Even guard dmg as first iteration would be a nice addition.

Gurf wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:30 pm Would be better to also include amount of block parried attacks etc if possible otherwise a tank with low block may look like he's doing a better job than one with high block as he's taken more damage
This one is a little bit tricky. Shielded tank would look far better on damage prevented that way, but on the other hand you might have excellent 2h tank doing his tank work flawlessly who would appear lower on the scoreboard. Total team dmg taken will be higher but its a fair chance it will be easily outhealed by a group hot/group heal and occasional direct heal to that tank.
SWTOR solves it with a little bit more detailed stats when you mouse over the scoreboard, showing for example how much dmg was mitigated on 1 tank life, how much per life at average and so on. Theres no guard defence check there so it doesnt show on the board. But adding all that probably would be overcomplicating scoreboard and not sure if could be coded within reasonable amount of effort.

Drys

Post#8 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:10 pm

Gurf wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:30 pm Would be better to also include amount of block parried attacks etc if possible otherwise a tank with low block may look like he's doing a better job than one with high block as he's taken more damage
You don't want to fluff numbers by standing in AOE not doing anything actually productive. That's why I think guard (guard damage taken + guard damage mitigated) is a good metric. You're showing a "team contribution" stat because the value in that column would be damage you prevented to one of your teammates.

As others pointed out, it's not perfect b/c there's lots of other things tanks do (challenge, interrupts, etc.), but the same goes w/ other classes too. I think guard is a good analog to healing, damage for other classes.
Spoiler:
Drystav - Magus 40/6X
Drysthex - Zealot 40/4X
Drystzyk - Chosen 40/5X
Drystax - Mara 24/2X

Drystal - WE 40/5X
Drystmar - DOK 40/4X
Drystelle - Sorc 40/7X
Drysthorn - BG 40/6X

Drystham - Shaman 40/4X
Drystig - SH 40/5X
Drystlak - BOrc 40/4X

Ads
phononHYPE

Post#9 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:26 pm

When I play tanks, I use WSCT and set block/parry to show as crits so I feel like I'm contributing. Adding Protection-esque numbers to SCs would go a long way in the same direction of visibly validating tanks. Great idea.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

Drys

Post#10 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:58 pm

Community support? No downside?

( :D :D I kid of course and recognize Devs have their own priorities)
Spoiler:
Drystav - Magus 40/6X
Drysthex - Zealot 40/4X
Drystzyk - Chosen 40/5X
Drystax - Mara 24/2X

Drystal - WE 40/5X
Drystmar - DOK 40/4X
Drystelle - Sorc 40/7X
Drysthorn - BG 40/6X

Drystham - Shaman 40/4X
Drystig - SH 40/5X
Drystlak - BOrc 40/4X