Recent Topics

Ads

NPCs as third faction.

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Zxul

NPCs as third faction.

Post#1 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:46 pm

Adding a third faction had been suggested several times over RoR history, however it runs into the problem that there are no assets for it.

However- if the additional faction was made from NPCs, then no assets would be required (NPCs do not care how the armor which they wear looks like, after all).

Now, just adding for example a few hero mobs with standard mechanics of lot of hp/lot of dmg/tank needs to keep agro would just turn rvr into pve, so the suggestion is to use a different mechanics for mobs.

Playing Guild Wars 1 long ago, whatever scripts were used there for mobs behavior, mobs there did used same abilities which players used/had same hp, and they were very good at using those- tank mobs were actually making tank walls infront of healers/rdps, rdps were spiking targets, aoe rdps would spam aoe on players, healer mobs were very good at keeping other mobs alive, etc. I specifically remember for example pair of tank+healer mobs which our party couldn't kill (despite like I mentioned, same hp and same abilities as players), or a specific instance where our team got killed, except for 1 npc healer which we hired, and then the npc healer rezzed our team 1 by 1 while kiting the mobs in the area.

Since GW1 isn't any kind of a new technology, in theory the same can be done in RoR- so the suggestion is to add NPC faction/factions using same tactics which players use/ using abilities the way the players use those in rvr. Tank mobs guarding, healer mobs healing, dps mobs assisting to take down priority player targets, etc.

For example, each time a zone opens, 1 random NPC faction out of list of possible factions (for example skaven, tomb kings, vampire lords) spawns in the zone as well, and tries to take over it. If it does, then the open zones go 1 tier down (for example if NPCs take over KV, then the pairing goes down to BFP/Badlands).

Possibly also make it so, instead of two player factions ganging up on mobs, the whatever pc faction which is underdog will have an interest to assist the mobs in taking over the zone.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Ads
Ysaran

Re: NPCs as third faction.

Post#2 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:56 pm

sound cool, but how would you manage renown points? and population fluctuation? it's not always EU primetime.
Anyway i'm honest, it would be cool, zone wouldn't be ignored anymore under the treat of retreating one zone and zerg should split to keep all zone in T4
Zputadenti

Sinisterror

Post#3 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:10 pm

I really like this idea=)
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#4 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:06 pm

This might just inspire me to make a fantasy suggestion subsection that we can gather these kind posts into. They're fun to imagine and overthink about, but reality is not going to be kind to them.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Sinisterror

Post#5 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:27 pm

Heheh warhammer online was my first love so im always fantasizing about it=)
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

Skullgrin

Post#6 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:07 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:06 pm This might just inspire me to make a fantasy suggestion subsection that we can gather these kind posts into. They're fun to imagine and overthink about, but reality is not going to be kind to them.

Heh, if you do that i just may put together a sweeping overhaul of the game that I started thinking about a while back.

Three Factions?

Feh!

My initial thoughts were that we need 5 factions, along with 5 more subgroups that could temporarily ally themselves with some of the main factions. I'd even worked out basic outlines of classes for all of them, along with the beginnings of what would need to be added in terms of new zones, cities and the like to make it all happen. It'd probably only take a few million dollars and 20 years or so to complete...

:D :P :D

Edit: Here's my first pass at classes I wanted to see, what do you think?

Last edited by Skullgrin on Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

Vri

Post#7 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:10 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:06 pm This might just inspire me to make a fantasy suggestion subsection that we can gather these kind posts into. They're fun to imagine and overthink about, but reality is not going to be kind to them.
Does ROR Team have the Skaven scenario files ?

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#8 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:24 pm

Vri wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:10 pm
Sure.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
Vri

Post#9 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:05 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:24 pm
Vri wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:10 pm
Sure.
Thats awesome ! Thank you for the reply.

PlagueMonk

Post#10 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:55 pm

Skullgrin wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:07 pm
Edit: Here's my first pass at classes I wanted to see, what do you think?

While I can appreciate your zeal for this idea, there is no way on the face of the earth 5 factions would work in an MMO. The imbalance at any one time would fluctuate way too much.

I actually had a 3 faction version roughed out during the original WAR forums that went something like this:

Order:
- Empire
- High Elves
- Dwarves
- Lizardmen
- Bretonnia

Chaos: (some of the 4 facets of chaos would have to be broken up similar to the Greenskins)
- Tzeentzh
- Khorne
- Slaanesh
- Nurgle
- Beastmen
- Skaven

Destruction: (The VCs have different houses that could be used to match the other sides class numbers)
- Dark Elves
- Orcs
- Goblins
- Vampire Counts
- Ogres

Why no Wood Elves? They will not work with anyone and are xenophobic
Why no Tomb Kings? They would work with anyone else either, they HATE everyone equally and just want to be left the hell alone.
Last edited by PlagueMonk on Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.