Recent Topics

Ads

ORvR Influence Needs Rework

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
grimmers

ORvR Influence Needs Rework

Post#1 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:46 pm

Title.

The issue I'm having is that player behaviour in RvR lakes is completely misaligned with how influence points are generated meaning that I can participate in sieges, win the zone and get a tonne of renown with some career exp too but very, very little influence. This has been a common pattern throughout my levelling experience so far and it's lead me to believe the system is just broken and the main issue is that the only reliable way to get influence is through supplies.

Combat influence exists but the amount you get is very little compared to running supplies, and drops very rapidly to only 1-2 influence per kill after you've killed someone once. In Tier 1 this happens very quickly, and in T2 and above, in offensive sieges you are getting very, very few player kills. In defensive sieges, you are mostly just killing the frontline over and over again.

Because T2/3 are locked for the vast majority of the time, I've been trying to get influence gear on my alts which hasn't been easy either. There are two options: follow the zerg or find an unpopulated zone to farm supplies. If I'm to follow the zerg the main issue is that my success in running supplies depends on both my faction winning at that time, which is generally just a case of how many players shown up, and whether I happen to be in the same party as the players in my warband who are also trying to run supplies at a particular BO. T1 warband leaders aren't really reading the chat or sorting parties so what tends to happen is I'll just be competing against other members of my own warband, that are in different parties, spam clicking and giving myself carpal tunnel for a measly 100 inf. When I try to run supplies in less populated zones I find other people with the same idea refuse to group, and when a BO is under attack they simply ditch it and try their luck elsewhere.

In T2/3 when it is open, the inf gains from supplies seem more sensible relative to the amount needed to cap inf. The problem that occurs is this is much more reliant on a larger more organised group than in lower tiers and is counterintuitive to how people play. Zones are also busier with multiple warbands, and the party restriction further limits how many supplies you can get. No long are you competing against your own warband, but multiple others too. Furthermore, in T2 and above, players aim to level their keep to 2 stars ASAP and then siege, meaning that once it hits 2 stars, nobody will be guarding the BOs anymore or running supplies and your only option is to join the siege unless you have found a dedicated group for supply running which is difficult. I've had success in organising warbands in Tier 4 and have even gotten people to run supplies and secure BOs during a siege that we cannot push through to win the zone by getting our keep to 5 stars but in T2-3 the keeps are not only easier to take but I believe players also just want to rush through it as fast as possible to move onto T4.

To sum it up, inf gains are misaligned with player behaviour, especially since T2 and above is mostly played by level 40s who are trying to unlock city scenarios for sieges. Those of us levelling our first characters, or even alts, are unable to actually farm any influence while the rewards are relevant. What I'd like to see is influence gains from combat buffed and/or influence decay from repeated kills (but not renown, to prevent meaningful exploiting), to be greatly nerfed allowing us to gain influence from joining in with the rest of the players. What I dislike is having to choose between joining in with the main faction war in a zone and running supplies for inf and I would prefer to contribute to my faction's and warband's efforts while also being rewarded for it by influence points and gear.

Ads
VindicoAtrum

Re: ORvR Influence Needs Rework

Post#2 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:52 pm

This has come up a few times. It's a recognised 'issue'. The popular suggestion each time has always been "Influence earned is pairing-based".

All influence in Dwarves vs Greenskins fills up t2 influence, no matter which region you're in. Then, once t2 is full, starts on t3, again no matter which region in that pairing you're in.

No idea if that's even technically possible, however.

grimmers

Post#3 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:03 pm

I'm not sure how that would fix the issue exactly since what I'm struggling with is getting any influence at all, regardless of zone, due to influence being so strongly tied to supply running. Even in the rare cases T2/3 are unlocked, players being so quick to ditch BOs in favour of sieging coupled with the extraordinary numbers that are there meaning you'll be lucky to run even a few supplies.

This suggestion might help somewhat, but I think the main issue is that influence gains aren't tied to the most popular activities in a zone which are combat and sieging from T2+.

In T4 I can actually convince players to run supplies (weird right) because it's the only bracket that really seems to matter. T2/3 just seems to be an annoying chore that must be completed before the real fight begins.

Skullgrin

Post#4 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:46 pm

Yep, this is definitely something that should be looked at. I noticed that you generally out level the influence gear before you can actually buy it when I was leveling up my Ironbreaker.

Maybe if the influence was somehow tied into renown to speed it up, along with what VindicoAtrum suggested in having all influence applied to lowest tiers first. I don't think anything done to speed up the process would be game breaking, increasing it would be more of a quality of life type thing.
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

Tom

Post#5 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:14 pm

VindicoAtrum wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:52 pm This has come up a few times. It's a recognised 'issue'. The popular suggestion each time has always been "Influence earned is pairing-based".

All influence in Dwarves vs Greenskins fills up t2 influence, no matter which region you're in. Then, once t2 is full, starts on t3, again no matter which region in that pairing you're in.

No idea if that's even technically possible, however.
That would definitely be an improvement. The influence gear is really nice for its levels and its a shame that players who are ranking up will rarely be able to claim such rewards anywhere near their 'usage rank'. I have a 40/81 tank who actually didn't complete one of the t3 zone influence rewards until last week! Crazy :) Now all those items only get to serve as salvaging material...

grimmers

Post#6 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:35 am

Skullgrin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:46 pm Yep, this is definitely something that should be looked at. I noticed that you generally out level the influence gear before you can actually buy it when I was leveling up my Ironbreaker.

Maybe if the influence was somehow tied into renown to speed it up, along with what VindicoAtrum suggested in having all influence applied to lowest tiers first. I don't think anything done to speed up the process would be game breaking, increasing it would be more of a quality of life type thing.
What you've suggested sounds like a very elegant solution to the problem and I like it a lot. I think there could be a way to make that work and allow people to claim the rewards when they're relevant