Recent Topics

Ads

A touch up for the Tome of Knowledge

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Caduceus

A touch up for the Tome of Knowledge

Post#1 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:40 am

Hey all,

The Tome of Knowledge is an often-overlooked part of Return of Reckoning that hasn't received some love in a while.

There are many long time players of the game for whom the Tome of Knowledge brings a nice change of pace when they need a break from the endless war! Titles, bragging rights, insane achievements, all types of things which add color and life to the world of RoR.

By itself the Tome of Knowledge is a behemoth of content, easily capable of providing hundreds of hours of gameplay for those interested, however it is a bit rough around the edges. Typos, bugs and unimplemented assets make for a not-so-welcoming first impression, which I think is unnecessary!

With some small touch ups, big improvements could be made to the overal presentation of the Tome of Knowledge, further inviting people to explore this dimension of the game.

Whenever I address an issue, I also try to put forward solutions, so here goes:

- Typos: Several titles have typos in them. For example, the journal entry for slaying 10,000 Cockatrices rewards the title 'Master Cockatrie Slayer'. An unfortunate fact for anyone who goes through the pains of unlocking it (me). Another is 'Canon Fodder', spelled with one 'n' instead of two. Or 'Nature girl', girl being uncapitalized. Small things like this devalue the rewards for hard work, and this obviously turns players off.

- Small visual bugs: Probably a leftover from reworks of the Tome of Knowledge. For example, many entries will still display (sometimes empty) icons with a tooltip that says '???' after being unlocked, probably because the items or unlocks associated with them have been removed.

- Interface: Many of the features of the Tome of Knowledge are somewhat unintuitive. For example, many players don't even know the Bragging Rights page exists on their character sheets and is inspectable by other players! It is hidden away and the feature to add more than one entry to your brags list is bugged (has been reported on BugTracker).

- Unimplemented Content: The Tome of Knowledge has a fair bit of unimplemented content, mostly consisting of title rewards for certain tasks. One category in particular which I was sad to learn was not yet implemented is 'Master Slaying', which rewards additional titles for accruing multiple Master Slayer titles in the same monster category. These sort of mammoth tasks provide players with real long-term goals they can work towards, even though the implementation of a title seems like a small task (correct me if I'm wrong).

Small tweaks and polish in these fields can make a big difference in making this dimension of the game more inviting to players. From personal experience I can tell that the Tome of Knowledge has helped me greatly in staying interested in my main character. Whenever I need a break from PvP I work on some Tome entries instead of rerolling an alt, and as such I've gained a lot of appreciation for this often-overlooked part of Return of Reckoning. I really hope it gets some love, because it truly deserves it. I also don't think big changes are required to give the Tome of Knowledge a large boost in presentation and substance.

Lastly, I'd just like to note that I'd be more than willing to assist in this process, though I doubt making a seperate BugTracker post for every typo would be appreciated. If there's anything I can do to help please let me know.

Thanks for reading,

- Caduceus
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Ads
Thorelson

Re: A touch up for the Tome of Knowledge

Post#2 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:07 pm

+1 for this. Some of the Master Slaying titles have serious epeen potential and I would love to see them in game.

I am eyeing "Master Slayer of Insignificant Humans" myself....

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#3 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:37 pm

Most of the TOK stuff is baked into the client. Best bet is to continue putting out bugtracker reports where you find issues. Low hanging fruit like misspelled or inconsistent capitalization can be picked up to be done in batches.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

necrophagos

Post#4 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:54 pm

+1 for this.im trying to do as many unlocks too.

Numaris

Post#5 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:01 pm

+1. The main reason I play this game is because of the rich lore in the Warhammer universe and I myself greatly appreciate the ToK unlocks. Would love to see restoration of some of the forgotten or damaged features.