Recent Topics

Ads

Swordmaster unfair itemization?

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Farrul

Swordmaster unfair itemization?

Post#1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:10 am

Hello guys, i'm currently working on a Swordmaster(lvl 30ish) and as i was checking the mid-high end sets in town i noticed plenty of them include sufficient weaponskill(which is a 99,9% useless stat for SM, right?).

This was surprising because up until Annihilator everything was fine(Str/Wounds/toughness/initiative). In fact Annihilator(heck even devastator) has on certain pieces higher stats than conqueror/sentinel/dominator when a chunk of the stat budget is allocated in Weaponskill(i think one particular piece had like +30 wp, jeez!). The only set with correct itemization is Vanquisher, Warlord seems screwed over by Weaponskill and to my disappointment on sovereign this mostly useless stat persists(although not bad as Warlord).

I don't see this issue on any of my other characters (WL,SW,IB,Engi), even off-spec sets for other classes have stats that are at least workable on the main spec, but for SM we got like 3 abilities iirc in total that does(utility skills, not for damage except for 1) physical damage, all the rest including any important mastery skill is always spirit based. t

Would it be too much to ask for if this was looked at? I think it's unfair to SM as their sets becomes a little weaker than other class equivalent when stat budget is wasted on a mostly useless stat.

Ads
agemennon675

Re: Swordmaster unfair itemization?

Post#2 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:08 pm

Weaponskill is not %99 useless for SM, its just not a main stat for the class, not all SM abilities deal Spirit some of them including Auto attacks do physical dmg, it also gives you parry
Destruction: 40-BG / 40-DoK / 40-Chosen / 37-Mara / 37/Sorc / 36-SH / 36-Choppa / 24-Shaman / 16-WE
Order: 40-SW / 40-SM / 40-WP / 40-WL / 39-Kotbs / 38-BW / 33-AM / 22-WH / 16-RP / 12-Slayer

Charon

Post#3 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:12 pm

ohh just give me a break ....Just use proper armour setup..Ws in itemisation is not sm main problem ..ppl stop spamming this stupid tread every 4 months
Karak Azgal - Haron WP
Karak Norn - Haeroon KoTBS
RoR:
- Chaeron - SM
- Nogrun - magnet eng
- Cheron - i want sorc Black Horror skill for my BW ;)

Farrul

Post#4 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:56 pm

agemennon675 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:08 pm Weaponskill is not %99 useless for SM, its just not a main stat for the class, not all SM abilities deal Spirit some of them including Auto attacks do physical dmg, it also gives you parry
Now that i've checked, 4 abilities (5 if you include base tank generic weapon throw) deal none-spirit damage: Eagles Flight(defensive Parry buff) Quick incision(snare) Intimidating blow(utility/defensive - tactic) and only 1 offensive ability in Gryphons lash (does anyone actually use this? )

The main purpose of weapon skill(armor pen) seems therefore near useless for SM abilities (except gryphon lash, but again does anyone ever use it when we gear with spirit damage in mind?). Auto attack, fair enough, i will for now continue to argue this isn't enough of a reason to justify the amount of weapon skill on several pieces, weapon skill distribution is set too high at expense of important main stats.

Parry, SM is already a tank with very high Parry, through Eagles flight, wall of darting steel, perfect defences.

So it's not enterily useless , however it's not useful enough to justify the amount several pieces gets , thus why it would be considered unfair compared to other classes and over to the main question, Is there any other class that is treated the same(As this seems like a very generic implementation without further consideration for the individual class ) ? .

Charon wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:12 pm ohh just give me a break ....Just use proper armour setup..Ws in itemisation is not sm main problem ..ppl stop spamming this stupid tread every 4 months
Ok, so i guess you mean avoid the pieces that got high weapon skill distribution at expense of important stats, i.e mix and match, i'm fully capable of doing it but that isn't the point of this thread. The point is to find out if SM itemization is at a disadvantage compared to other classes(that will benefit more from their stat distribution).

P.S. Missed your last words, who is spamming what stupid thread every 4 months? :)
Last edited by Farrul on Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lyncher12

Post#5 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:26 pm

most of the high end sets are poorly designed making me not too excited to see more gear added knowing it will have toughness, +2 ap or morale gain on half the ****.

Sponn
Suspended

Post#6 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:32 pm

I mean this person has a point.

Offensive Sov set is trash for KOTBS, who needs 15% more crit dmg? What a waste of a gear set slot.

Devs are too busy making changes for the sake of changes to actually look empirically at the game and make thoughtful changes to stuff like what OP mentioned.

So I doubt much will be done about this.

Farrul

Post#7 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:48 pm

lyncher12 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:26 pm most of the high end sets are poorly designed making me not too excited to see more gear added knowing it will have toughness, +2 ap or morale gain on half the ****.
Care to eleborate further? I could be wrong but i do not see this problem for the Shadow warrior or White lion(I play them both). Their main spec seems to be correct itemization, their offspec is intended for a different role(e.g closer range SW/toughness, defensive gear WL as optional to offensive dps stats).

However for Swordmaster it's like several pieces were just added as any generic physical damage dealing class, without further consideration for the class in particular, which happens to be spirit damage based for most part and will gear(itemization) as such.

It is true that this problem could be minimized once most gear is available for the player and different pieces can be mixed from a larger pool of items, but the journey there also matters imho. It's discouraging seeing how SM conqueror(a tank set) or dominator treats the class like an ironbreaker and Warlord was sad for a high-end set(Ib unlike SM will of course highly benefit from weapon skill ).

Rapzel

Post#8 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:07 pm

Same for Chosen. Who's BiS is still bloodlord if you plan on doing 6vs6.
Maybe the new PvE sets will solve it. Who knows. This is why I believe we need another gear squish, to make more sets viable and get rid of the "OMGWTFIGOTPWNDBBQFUCKINGSOVGEAREDPREMADESARERUININGTHEGAMEREEEEEEE" people, but I don't think anyone will do this as this would make sov useless for a lot of careers.

Ads
BluIzLucky

Post#9 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:54 pm

I for the longest time thought 1 WS added about 0.038% base parry, as well increasing helping on an actual hit (WS/STR*0.15), and as such making both WS from Warlord and Beastlord great for stacking high parry...

However it appears that the base parry is just a UI bug/mislead.. in fact it adds 0 base parry, and the hit formula seems to be (WS/STR*0.075) at least according to some forum post and /ad, meaning adding 800 WS from the 224 base.. will give you about 5% parry....

As for physical skills..
If you are concerned with DPS, you'll probably want to use EB+EA, and only use GL in cases where you can't get behind a very high avoidance target (normally a tank - who is the last on the picking order for dps anyway).

Same for EF, QI and IB, the situations where you'd want to use them, probably little extra damage is not your concern.
QI+QS might be better with high WS+str than EB+EA and IB does have high base dmg, I have not tested to say it's a complete write off when trying to kill squishies..

But all in all, it does seem like WS is 90% useless, you might as well stack willpower being that it is equally disappointing and it doesn't increase your healing from PB,BoH and BE.. :)
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

lyncher12

Post#10 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:12 pm

Farrul wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:48 pm
lyncher12 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:26 pm most of the high end sets are poorly designed making me not too excited to see more gear added knowing it will have toughness, +2 ap or morale gain on half the ****.
Care to eleborate further? I could be wrong but i do not see this problem for the Shadow warrior or White lion(I play them both). Their main spec seems to be correct itemization, their offspec is intended for a different role(e.g closer range SW/toughness, defensive gear WL as optional to offensive dps stats).

However for Swordmaster it's like several pieces were just added as any generic physical damage dealing class, without further consideration for the class in particular, which happens to be spirit damage based for most part and will gear(itemization) as such.

It is true that this problem could be minimized once most gear is available for the player and different pieces can be mixed from a larger pool of items, but the journey there also matters imho. It's discouraging seeing how SM conqueror(a tank set) or dominator treats the class like an ironbreaker and Warlord was sad for a high-end set(Ib unlike SM will of course highly benefit from weapon skill ).
End game sets for tanks are the worst in the game with melee dps coming in behind that. Warlord for tanks has no wounds and has HP regen on pieces and some other useless ****. Off sov for tanks features a sick 2% parry and low initiative all for a 15% crit damage increase. Melee dps sov boots are some of the worst in the game and you know its bad when people are using 2016 conquerer boots over that. Its like it was designed by google translate. I can understand not wanting to make sovereign too good but you won't notice much difference between using bloodlord on a tank and one of these "end-game" sets. Its just as bad for you as an SM as it is for the other tanks.