SM Changes

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Aethilmar

SM Changes

Post#1 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:04 am

There are a few changes I think SM could use to flesh out its existing specs, embrace the mechanic and make it more than a WW Bot.

Phoenix Wing - Change to 10s cooldown, move to perfect stance, add 10% heal debuff for 10s. Two hander spec brings nothing particularly interesting to the table, at least having some kind of debuff on this ability would provide a reason. Heal debuff off the table, feel free to substitute something else of value. It just needs something. The damage sure isn't worth it.

Perfect Defenses - 5% stacking defense bonuses (10% max) on stance change (excluding sudden shift) that lasts for 3s. Basically if you are constantly moving through your stances and attacking, you get the bonus. You stop, you get nothing. Embraces the mechanic and the identity of SM as an "offensive" or active tank.

Calming Winds - As above change tactic to embrace the mechanic. 10% stacking disrupt bonus (20% max) on stance change (excluding sudden shift) that lasts for 3s. Same reasoning as above.

Eagle's Flight - Change to 10s cooldown and maintain 25% parry. May be just style preference but I find it annoying having to choose to maintain this all the time or do something else. Rather have it be long enough I can work through a couple of different rotations whether it hits or not.

Gusting Winds - Change name to "Cyclonic Vortex" and change from punt to pull. Maintain 10s cooldown. I'd miss bridge punting but that is about all I'd miss with this change.

Lastly, if "HealMaster" is supposed to be a thing then "Blessing of Heaven" and "Bolstering Enchantments" need to heal for at least double current strength on others. SwordMaster self-healing should be same or zero if that balances out the books.

Ads
normanis

Re: SM Changes

Post#2 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:29 am

just revert back sm how it was
heavans blade - magic resist debuff ( or make it same as black orc when u get hited it start proc not when i hit someone based on what i attack)
vauls tempering back to armor +distrupt
eagle flight 20sec duration same as chosen
deep incision same as kobs snare tactic
lileaths forgivnes give to sm
"Iron Within, Iron Without!"

Sever1n

Post#3 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:33 am

Dunno sm look good atm. Calming wind+3stance+darting steel or hold=80+disrupt. Bolstering+fantom blade800+hp in 10sec. Phoenix wing is a 2 strike combo of stat steaking on mass if u dps am. Why do u wish to change that works well?
Only thing that i dont like is a distance of mass punt, its often not eniugh to knock people of cliffs coz its too short. But snb sm have redirect force that works good, so gusting wind is an only option to dps sm and sometimes its just not enough distance. Btw 10% heal debuff is nothing.

kirraha

Post#4 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:39 am

I would at least like SM to work a little more like BO. Not needing a target to trigger WW would be nice.

Sm feels pretty much like a broke BO gameplay, the least wanted tank to play.
But it's just my tiny little sidenote opinion. I got 5 other tanks to play ;D

CytheX

Post#5 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:51 am

Hoet and Vaul spec are already very good, no need to change theme. Things that need to be changed are, deep incision tattic (make it deal spirit or change it completely) and Poised attacks (another 10% striketrough maybe mirror instead 25%crit dmg like the bo version)
Honestly i think that healdebuff is totally overkill and unnecessary.

CytheX

Post#6 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:38 pm

Or without increasing sm dmg, like the dps dok on crit for single target a tattic for 2h only that apply heal debuff, but it's just a dream:D

DoomedDragon

Post#7 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:50 pm

kirraha wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:39 am I would at least like SM to work a little more like BO. Not needing a target to trigger WW would be nice.

Sm feels pretty much like a broke BO gameplay, the least wanted tank to play.
But it's just my tiny little sidenote opinion. I got 5 other tanks to play ;D

THIS!
I feel this is a major problem with SMs, we are honestly only brought for the cooldown reduction.
But the skill is so clunky and unreliable to use, requiring perfect stance, a target, and a hit that is not blocked/parried.
This leads to a lot of frustration, unable to deliver in a reliable way for warband/party members, and honestly draining the fun aspect of playing SM.
If you want to "fix" order frontlines, then look to improve the situation and "fun" aspects for order tanks.
And I believe fixing WW to be less frustrating is one way to do it.

Fenris78

Post#8 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:22 pm

normanis wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:29 am eagle flight 20sec duration same as chosen
Yes please.
I just dont get the Dest advantage here, especially on a class that have all skills on-demand.
Chosen's ability cd is even less than the buff duration (15s for a 20s long buff). That makes no sense at all.
If anything, just swap duration/cd of this skill between chosen and SM.

I must add without crit dmg or any other form of significant dmg increaser on the SM, damaging abilities even in 2H feel very underwhelming ; Ether Dance doing like 500 per hit, while BO three hit combo being about 1k base dmg, 1k5 on crit...
Last edited by Fenris78 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
lifeson

Post#9 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:24 pm

2H Khaine seems fine to me, Hoeth is fine, its just Vaul needs some work.
1. Crushing Advance - remove the 5ft range and make it work in a cone with no target needed.
2. Vaul's Tempering - change the immunity to 5s (same for We'z bigger on the BO)

Oh and please fix the damn stance bug that appeared a few months ago for BO/SM where it doesn't shift properly in big fights or when being chain cced.

zulnam

Post#10 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:43 pm

Aethilmar wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:04 am Perfect Defenses - 5% stacking defense bonuses (10% max) on stance change (excluding sudden shift) that lasts for 3s. Basically if you are constantly moving through your stances and attacking, you get the bonus. You stop, you get nothing. Embraces the mechanic and the identity of SM as an "offensive" or active tank.

Calming Winds - As above change tactic to embrace the mechanic. 10% stacking disrupt bonus (20% max) on stance change (excluding sudden shift) that lasts for 3s. Same reasoning as above.

I like this idea a lot. Would be indeed nice to see SM/BO get this change and have their stat alterers (crit/parry/disrupt) be buffs that award aggressive gameplay.

Might have to be tweaked a bit. I don't mind it, but the question does raise: do you get the constant buff when you use any ability, or when you successfully advance your stance? What happens if I keep using abilities that stick me to Improved Balance (EB spam, for example). Or if i you mess up your comp and go from Perfect to Normal without actually triggering a perfect balance ability (to trigger happy with the EB). Does it count?
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG