Recent Topics

Ads

Change city Siege emphasis rewards!

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Ronald

Change city Siege emphasis rewards!

Post#1 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17 pm

Hello!

Currently, there's little incentive to keep the other faction out of your city! In fact, many want their own city to be sieged for the juicy royals! Especially if the stars go up high enough.

In real sieges, even a victorious defense results in horrific damage to a city and its populace.

I had the idea. What if, there was a factor in city battles' rewards as to who's city it was being attacked, rather than solely who won the actual 24 vs 24 scenario? This would provide incentive to keep the city sieges on the other faction's city!

In fewer words, some small extra rewards to defeated attackers on city siege as a reward for actually reaching the other city, even in defeat.

Ads
Aethilmar

Re: Change city Siege emphasis rewards!

Post#2 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:36 pm

Ronald wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17 pm Hello!

Currently, there's little incentive to keep the other faction out of your city! In fact, many want their own city to be sieged for the juicy royals! Especially if the stars go up high enough.

In real sieges, even a victorious defense results in horrific damage to a city and its populace.

I had the idea. What if, there was a factor in city battles' rewards as to who's city it was being attacked, rather than solely who won the actual 24 vs 24 scenario? This would provide incentive to keep the city sieges on the other faction's city!

In fewer words, some small extra rewards to defeated attackers on city siege as a reward for actually reaching the other city, even in defeat.
You are making the (incorrect) assumption that the point of the game is to prevent city sieges and/or "win" the war. As a matter of mechanics it is actually about character progression and "end game" gearing like most other MMOs. The whole faction warfare thing is merely for flavor and to encourage participation.

As to your specific idea it would appear, on the surface, to merely reward more zerging and make farming 1-stars more "productive" from a gear acquisition perspective.

Ronald

Post#3 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:42 pm

Dang. I'd thought we were trying to win a war here!

Battles are fun, but the game was more on a macro scale and more about pushing zones! Or so I'd thought.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#4 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:56 pm

Ronald wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:42 pm Dang. I'd thought we were trying to win a war here!

Battles are fun, but the game was more on a macro scale and more about pushing zones! Or so I'd thought.
Small incentives won't drive anyone to a stalwart defense or organized attack. There needs to be real consequences for that level of roleplay. Things like that don't go over well with any but the most hardcore playerbases. Personally, I think ROR could pull it off, but it would make a lot of noise.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ronald

Post#5 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:09 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:56 pm
Ronald wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:42 pm Dang. I'd thought we were trying to win a war here!

Small incentives won't drive anyone to a stalwart defense or organized attack. There needs to be real consequences for that level of roleplay. Things like that don't go over well with any but the most hardcore playerbases. Personally, I think ROR could pull it off, but it would make a lot of noise.
It'd be really cool if it did.

I know on the dev discussion youtube vids they said they dont want to give too many bonuses to the victors of cities since benefiting the winner is bad for balance. That's why I'm hoping to see more emphasis on benefiting an unsuccessful siege.

Right now the main benefits I see of getting into the enemy city is:

1. Raising their AH fees
2. Booting everyone out of their city for an hour.

Which definitely is NOT nothing. That stuff happens even if you lose all city instances.

Asderas27

Post#6 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 pm

Ronald wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17 pm Hello!

who bullied you in city ?
The Unlikely Plan
Ramjumper - Knight of the Blazing Sun
Shewhispers - Swordmaster
Punishingknock - Ironbreaker
TUP
Bellowabuser - Chosen
Moralepumper - Black Orc
Mindkiller - Blackguard

Aethilmar

Post#7 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:31 am

Ronald wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:09 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:56 pm

It'd be really cool if it did.

I know on the dev discussion youtube vids they said they dont want to give too many bonuses to the victors of cities since benefiting the winner is bad for balance. That's why I'm hoping to see more emphasis on benefiting an unsuccessful siege.

Right now the main benefits I see of getting into the enemy city is:

1. Raising their AH fees
2. Booting everyone out of their city for an hour.

Which definitely is NOT nothing. That stuff happens even if you lose all city instances.
The live version had exactly things like this. It didn't go over well and it was eventually removed once it became apparent that the lower pop side was almost always at a permanent disadvantage due to the city being farmed 24/7 and the maluses being constantly enabled for them.

I don't think it would work here unless there was some form of viable counter play to zergs or better rewards for sticking with the fight. Punishing people for being outnumbered is not good. Presenting people with alternative gameplay modes based on the circumstances can be though.

TreefAM

Post#8 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:52 am

Even with that I doubt people would go outside and organize into proper warbands.
Everyone just wants to brainafk in open warbands and then qq when they get farmed.

Ads
Bloodmasked

Post#9 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 am

City is not even pvp its pve, the 1st stage who can kill cannons and ninja cap a flag. 2nd stage if the defenders kill 2 npcs then they win automatically without killing a single enemy player. 3rd stage the winner is whoever can kill another npc. The pvp is just chasing eachothers tail and all the bad players die or cause others to die because they dont do basic stuff like morale or they are a healer who stands still as an entire warband is hitting them.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#10 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:42 pm

Bloodmasked wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 am City is not even pvp its pve, the 1st stage who can kill cannons and ninja cap a flag. 2nd stage if the defenders kill 2 npcs then they win automatically without killing a single enemy player. 3rd stage the winner is whoever can kill another npc. The pvp is just chasing eachothers tail and all the bad players die or cause others to die because they dont do basic stuff like morale or they are a healer who stands still as an entire warband is hitting them.
What a lovely and pointless reductionist view on playing a childs game. We're all just distracting ourselves until we die of old age or neglecting our health.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog