Beastlord boss' cooldowns

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
wonshot

Beastlord boss' cooldowns

Post#1 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:35 pm

Hello,

With the nice addition of Vale-Walker set as a catchup gear tier for new players or fresh toons, it raise the question if the previous starting set in Beastlord (which is now a requirements to enter Hunter's Vale) if this entry gear should be more accesable.
I think many of us current players have been through the experience of going through the effort of building a Beastlord group, only to find that the bosses are dead, or you find an other group who have started before your group and now they have done some of the bosses.

I understand back in the day when gear tiers were more compact, Beastlord were a better option, more contested and you actually could find some pvp group vs group in these spots. But this is long in the past with more content added spreading the activities thin all over the map and game world.

I am simply wondering if the roughly 2hours respawn timer is needed or server a purpose atm in RoR? or if could be lowered to maybe 5-15min cooldown. That way atleast groups that bother forming and running to the spots, have a more realistic timeperiode of sitting there waiting and reap the reward of forming a group.

its a minor thing, and it would just be Quality of Life improvement. But if there is no benefit from a 2hour cooldown, maybe atleast having conversations about a lower CD would be welcome for newplayers and introduce the latest dungeon for more players to enjoy.

Thourghts for and against?
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

Ads
Kaelang

Re: Beastlord boss' cooldowns

Post#2 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:53 pm

So the respawn timer for Beastlord boss' was actually 12 hours on live and we've already reduced this down to 2 hours. Now I appreciate the RvR activity around Beastlord isn't the most popular subgenre of content but it's still a 'dangerous' addition to completing the set which we think is pretty fun. Fighting the other group to get the Beastlord kills. Now, if they're on your realm - that's tough luck really. It's the very nature of open world 'boss' encounters.

The Beastlord Season system is something that also opens doors to additional content moving forward - if we remove the cooldown or lower it to a point that it becomes trivialised we also risk removing the opportunity to introduce new rotations to the Beastlord system at risk of people speeding through everything.

It's always easier to reduce something that increase something. If we was to introduce new BL boss' for example and found they just got rushed because we'd previously reduced the cooldown - the option would be to increase a respawn time which would be hit with negativity. It's probably the safer option at this time to keep the timings where they are.
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

wonshot

Post#3 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:22 pm

I understand the placement of the encounters are in RvR area and you have a chance of having to pvp while doing it, im fine with that.
But keeping the cooldown 2hours, will not make any groups sit there for 2hours and wait in the case a fresh group rolls up and see the buff-duration being more than an hour. Those players will simply just disband, and That is the issue i think is currently exsisting with Beastlords.

Now if the cooldown was reduced to 15min, but without the buff showing the timer. Then they groups would stick around when they see the corpse and then sit and wait, holding the spawn. And then pvp could happen if an other group is coming around, but as it stands right now very few groups are actually at the locations if the boss is not up, they just come back later or simply skip these encounters as its too much of a hassle to build a group for content that might not even be up.

Having the current timer, for "just in case we add more". im not really convinced, and just think the timer should reflect the current state of the content.
The ammount of times ive heard people in City mention they dont have beastlord books, because they skipped this content is kinda supporting the issue of Beastlords are too much of a gamle to do in their current state.
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

marisco

Post#4 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:17 pm

I'm sorry but If you can't commit a couple hours then you should not be rewarded with gear. It works like this for orvr, forts, cities, scenarios, dungeons and any other content. I don't see why open world bosses should be different.

If one boss is down then go check the others, It always worked like that. If you only need that specific boss, camp it and wait for the respawn. It's not as hard as you are making It to be.

Yes sometimes you won't get all the pieces on a single run, or a single day. Yes you want to get **** done as fast as possible but hey it happens, this is a mmo after all. Immediate rewards at the player's convenience is not something the genre is famous for.

tvbrowntown
Suspended

Post#5 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:56 am

marisco wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:17 pm I'm sorry but If you can't commit a couple hours then you should not be rewarded with gear.
I'm sorry but I misread this as "sorry but if you have a 9-5 job, a family, or irl commitments then you shouldn't be rewarded with gear"

How is this starter gear if it's such an annoyance to get? The time gate is there for literally what gameplay purpose? What is it a time gate on pve content trying to achieve when you don't even know when the timegate is active anyway?

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#6 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:18 pm

Sorry but if you have a 9-5 job, a family, or irl commitments then you shouldn't be rewarded with gear. This is a game, not a candy machine.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

tvbrowntown
Suspended

Post#7 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:39 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:18 pm Sorry but if you have a 9-5 job, a family, or irl commitments then you shouldn't be rewarded with gear. This is a game, not a candy machine.
You ignored the actual question asking about the value of having a time gate here. Got any insights or just wicked bants?

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#8 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:47 pm

tvbrowntown wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:39 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:18 pm Sorry but if you have a 9-5 job, a family, or irl commitments then you shouldn't be rewarded with gear. This is a game, not a candy machine.
You ignored the actual question asking about the value of having a time gate here. Got any insights or just wicked bants?
Whether it's 60 seconds or 15 minutes or 2 hours or 3 days, content has gating mechanisms. Typically the better the reward, the more restrictive the gating. Part of the adventure in getting Beastlord is exploring the corners of the map and getting into fights along the way, that's why all the lairs are flagged for RvR and many of them are connected to RvR areas.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
tvbrowntown
Suspended

Post#9 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:10 am

wargrimnir wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:47 pm
tvbrowntown wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:39 pm
Whether it's 60 seconds or 15 minutes or 2 hours or 3 days, content has gating mechanisms. Typically the better the reward, the more restrictive the gating. Part of the adventure in getting Beastlord is exploring the corners of the map and getting into fights along the way, that's why all the lairs are flagged for RvR and many of them are connected to RvR areas.
Then I'd like to suggest that perhaps to facilitate rvr in those areas why not have the lair bosses announce themselves as up in region chat? While I don't disagree about gating mechanics themselves the best gating mechanics are ones that players themselves can overcome through clear action/progression. In regards to starter gear I would like think that the gating be less stiff and more clear considering we want players to be using this equipment sooner rather than later. If you have no idea when something will be available to do you will choose to focus on other paths of progression that are clearer instead of put time into putting together a group and then travelling to each location only to be met with nothing. At least with dungeons the lockout timer is there. You know it isn't available. If the bosses announced they were available you'd more likely see people rushing to them, and then fighting over them too.

Appreciate the insight.