Recent Topics

Ads

50% Mount Quest

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Dabbart

50% Mount Quest

Post#1 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:47 am

Howdy,

So, I constantly see 16+ toons with 25% mounts, some in their mid 20's. If I have the spare cash on that toon, I'll toss 'em 20g and tell them to buy a 50% one. Nearly always I get, "OMG! Thank you so much!" in various forms. I have seen/experienced this to the extent that I believe it is an issue. However, relying on gamers to be generous is not really a solution. 10g by rank 16 for a starting player can be a tough nut. Especially, since they probably spend their precious currency on things they don't need, will quickly level out of, or on flying around exploring. I've played a lot of toons on this server, freshly leveling in countless states of the game. Outside of the outright broken SC kill quest "bug" days of T3 cap, w/o mailing from an Alt, you have to grind a bit for that gold, and that's if you spend 0g on travel/gear/tali's/pots and other various useless expenses in T1.

I propose a 50% mount quest. Give it from the mount vendors themselves, I would suggest a quest tied to crafting skills in order to help nubs learn ways to make gold. It would be great if there was one quest line for each crafting set(Butcher/Scavenge/Cult/etc) offering different colored mounts, but even a standard Gather/Kill/Travel/Capture/Epic quest line reward would be fine as crafting quests could take a lot of work. The only people that would generally be taking this quest would be newbies or players starting an alt that can't afford 10g. Either way it wouldn't be game breaking(imo), but simply a method for the very new to have a QoL upgrade the rest of us consider a gold sink. If a straight up 10g questline isn't wanted, then make the mount last 30days(cause, y'know it's just that simple...).

The difficulty would be letting new players know the quest even exists. Starting the quest from the Mount Vendors in the City/WC would help. Adding it to the loading screen messages would help as well. Maybe a general T1 questline that starts at the racial starting point offering crafting quests and others before giving you that mount long before you can use it as incentive to lvl up.

Definitely not a high priority, and yes I have called this server "care-bear" in the past(and believe it today). I think too much is simply given to players. But the 50% mount is just mandatory if you want to exit the WC/SC spawn in mid-tier ORvR. So why not give them a quest-chain they can hopefully learn something about the game from. They might stay longer, or be more willing to try a new class if that 10g isn't hanging over their head.

Just a thought.
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

Ads
Phantasm

Re: 50% Mount Quest

Post#2 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:19 am

There was no RoR contest for while and this is great opportunity to start one.
We got many roleplayers here just waiting to create a quest line with nice story for 50% basic mount. Before Yalishkah did few contests like that, who could do a next one? Gamesbond?

Akalukz

Post#3 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:51 pm

I too see the same issue with truly new players. Most are absolutely lost once they leave T1. I would go a step further and suggest a new loading screen for lvl 16-20 with informational things.

50% Mount information (where to buy) (or get new quest)
How To Find battles (.rvr)
How to find the Pick Up Group Scenario
How to pickup Gathering Skills
Where to buy new armor / weapons (Undercroft)
What to do with old medallions / emblems (up / down convert)
Where trainers are located

A lot of this information isn't intuitive anymore. As Dabbart suggested most of these could become simple quests (except for mount) .
Such as …. Go and talk to xxxx in the Undercroft Portion of the Inevitable City to find out about Weapons / Armor etc

Could setup a new "info page" loading screen contest / event for people to come up with some like they did years ago on Live.
-= Agony =-

mogt

Post#4 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:59 pm

very easy thing is, the players can ask in the chat

Marchmain

Post#5 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 am

I mean I am a returning player so I know what I am doing but it is incredibly easy to farm 10 gold for a level 16 mount. Simply farm some PQ or other mobs (don't even have to be max level for T1) for a short time and vendor all greens and other loot drops. If you are very lucky you will get a blue or purple dye drop but that isn't even needed. I like the loading screen idea for new players but it also seems like there are always people in advice willing to help those not too shy to ask.

Skullgrin

Post#6 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:30 pm

Marchmain wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 am I mean I am a returning player so I know what I am doing but it is incredibly easy to farm 10 gold for a level 16 mount. Simply farm some PQ or other mobs (don't even have to be max level for T1) for a short time and vendor all greens and other loot drops. If you are very lucky you will get a blue or purple dye drop but that isn't even needed. I like the loading screen idea for new players but it also seems like there are always people in advice willing to help those not too shy to ask.

You really don't even have to farm for the gold at this point.

A while back they added repeatable scouting quests in the RvR lakes. You don't get much after the first time doing them, but on the first time you get around 1.5G for each quest and you can do them when the zone isn't active. Nine T4 zones x 2 quests per zone (1.scout 4 BO's and 2.scout both keeps) x 1.5G = 27G, just for running around each zone for 5 minutes.

If you do the ones in T2 and T3 you can make even more.

Add in the ones that just send you from chapter to chapter in the PvE areas and I'd be willing to bet you end up making more than 100G, easy.
Last edited by Skullgrin on Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

Justina

Post#7 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:35 pm

All in all I think they should start making things a bit easier, less grindy. Every MMO did it that way at the end of the life cycle. Nothing lasts forever...